Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Say, was it just me or.....
Topic Started: 08 Jul 2014, 02:02 (2130 Views)
Polychrome
Hatchling

Did the entire film take place in daylight of some form?

Arctic summer I suppose?
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Zer0x

[b]Banhammerdragon
[/b]

I hadn't thought of that until now. But you're right, there is not a single night scene in the entire movie. It is a bit strange, because the half of the first movie played at night.
UNAMUSED

No, I'm serious....stop it..

Rocky Rose
Deadly Nadder

I think it must've taken place during Berk's summer, after all, it's near the Arctic circle... and the only scene that resembles nighttime or even close to evening is Stoick's funeral....

So if this movie took place during the summer... then the first movie... maybe Fall or Spring???

Or we could go by the TV series' seasons and say "Winter.." LOL

Edit: Now that I think of it.. up until the very end... from Stoick's funeral until the final battle... it's the only night time scenes we got... but it seems like daylight crept up at some point towards the end of the bewilderbeast attacking Berk..
"I saw him, and I saw myself."- Hiccup
"With Vikings on the backs of dragons, the world just got a whole lot bigger."

Addicted to DRAGONS :D

My Devianart
My Tumblr (I'm on there ALOT) Nightfury326

puxlit
Member Avatar
Better in Silhouette Form

The art book suggests they were going for different shades of daylight, but as Rocky Rose pointed out, we get something that resembles night time during Stoick's Ship (and the start of Alpha Comes to Berk). Still, if Berk sits on roughly the same latitude as Iceland, then Arctic summer would be a safe bet.
Page 32, The Art of How to Train Your Dragon 2

One of our challenges in the lighting department is that our movie takes place in the northern part of the hemisphere where the sun doesn't set. This creates a unique light quality that doesn't occur anywhere else on the planet. We've been trying to capture that in certain places and it's difficult because if you take a picture of this particular light, the photo doesn't really tell the story. It's more of a feeling than something you can see in a photo. It might be 3:00 in the morning when the picture was taken but the light looks like it was shot at 5:00 in the afternoon.
We wanted our lighting to convey that you don't quite know what time of day it is. We avoid the midday sun because it is out of place here. But even in the opening sequences when we are flying around Berk, there is the feeling that a storm just passed. It's early in the morning and it feels like the sun just came out, but it does feel a little wet and cold. ―Pablo Valle, head of lighting

Polychrome
Hatchling

Rocky Rose
08 Jul 2014, 06:36
I think it must've taken place during Berk's summer, after all, it's near the Arctic circle... and the only scene that resembles nighttime or even close to evening is Stoick's funeral....
Even the funeral scene could be considered "daylight" if you blamed the apparent darkness on fog.

Night fury fire

[b]
[color=blue]We're fangirls! It's an occupational hazard...
[/color]
[/b]

When the bewilderbeast came to berk wasn't it night? It may have just been really cloudy but I remember gothi and her terrible terrors were sleeping
^_^ ;) :D :$ :P 8) :'( :( ^) :O :blink: >:( <3 <- me seeing httyd 2

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

Well the sun never sets in the Arctic (where Valka was) so of course that would be sunny all the time. But yes, there were some scenes, like Alpha Arrives At Berk, when it was near twilight or night time.

Sallykie
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

What I assumed is that it's early fall (before the autumnal equinox; August or so) when the film takes place. Berk is presumably not within the Arctic Circle, but quite near it. They wouldn't get midnight sun, but summer night wouldn't get properly dark because the Sun is just dipping a bit below the horizon, and the atmosphere still reflects the light. (I live in such a place.)

On the island of Itchy Armpit, the tree leaves are turning orange, which also indicates fall.

In "Alpha comes to Berk" scene, it's almost dark, but not entirely. Berk is further South than Valka's sanctuary, so the nights get darker there. The Sanctuary is most likely within the Arctic Circle (Stoick and Gobber seem to be flying North when they're tracking down Hiccup, based on where the sunset glow is and what time of year it is and the latitude).

I think the Sanctuary has proper midnight sun in the summer (must have if it's within the Arctic Circle), but probably not anymore in the fall, where the film is set. It's probably the "sun dipping a bit below the horizon, night doesn't get dark" situation.

I keep losing track of whether two or three nights pass during the film. Night 1 is when Valka kidnaps Hiccup and Stoick and Gobber find his helmet. "Flying With Mother" starts at sunrise, and ends with a glow of either sunrise or sunset. But I keep forgetting to check if there was a whole day in-between, or what. My current theory is that the montage takes a whole day, from sunrise (veeeeery early morning there) to sunset (very late night), since the sun appears to be lower at the end of the montage than it is at the beginning.

When Stoick and Gobber find Hiccup in the Sanctuary, it's probably the third day (two nights have passed?). Or the second day, if the whole "Flying With Mother" montage took place during morning. I need to see the film again to make sure. I think it's probably the third day. Hiccup was putting his arm covers back on - maybe he took a nap and took off some of the leather armor for that. I would certainly hope he slept at SOME point during the whole film. How sleep-deprived must everyone have been by the end...?

The battle of the Bewilderbeasts takes place on this same day.

Stoick's funeral takes place the next night - third if I'm correct, second if I'm not. It's darker in Berk than it's on the Sanctuary Island, because Berk is further South and the film takes place before the autumnal equinox. As mentioned before, the night is dark...ish in Berk when Drago and his dragon army arrive there.

Hiccup and company arrive just before dawn in the morning. It's already light, but the sun hasn't risen above the horizon yet. When it does rise, it's the exact moment when Toothless breaks free of the Bewilderbeast's mind control.

And every time I rewatch the film, I remind myself to pay attention to what time of the day it's during the scenes with Astrid and company, and every time I forget to do that.

Side note: Snoggletog in Gift of the Night Fury seems to be some kind of a winter solstice celebration. In GotNF, Berk gets at least a few hours of daylight. Based on this, I always assumed Berk probably wasn't in the Arctic Circle (but somewhere near it). Not a 100% certain assumption - the other possibility is that the people making GotNF just missed the detail. But the nights being darker in Berk than further North in HTTYD2 made me even more certain about this.

Side note #2: The first film took place later in the fall, probably around the Equinox...ish. Nights and days are acting fairly normally about this whole dark/light thing. and Stoick says "the winter is almost here", meaning yeah it's later in the fall. Hiccup's "snows nine months of the year and hails the other three" jab is a bit of an exaggeration - we do that in these latitudes. Seriously in my hometown in Northern Finland it was snowing this June. This happens enough to get sarcastic about.
Oddly enough, leafy trees still seem to be green in HTTYD1, even though everything implies it took place closer to winter than the first one. I personally just assume this is because they weren't paying as much attention to the season in the first film as they were in the second, where they really actually took it into consideration. That, or the Itchy Armpit trees started turning orange sooner because they're in a more exposed location.

MissunyNightFury
Escaped from an asylem

:eret:

^) Hmm...According to the Dragons art book, they wanted the film to have natural lighting during early/late parts of the day. They said everything looked too weird in midday light.

I guess they were afraid it would be too dark to see everything.
"There's something you must remember when riding a dragon. There's no manual, no safety harness, no guarantees when you're on one of these beasts. All you have is the wind in your hair, and the clothes on your back. The only thing between you and that dragon is your saddle. You need to hold onto it for dear life, as that creature takes you the skies. That, is dragon riding."

SplashTheScauldron
Most inactive ass in the fandom

Hmm... after stoicks dead was on berk night and later morning I think....
Yes, I ship Dagur and Hiccup.

I apologize for cringy posts I made some years ago