Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Audience reactions
Topic Started: 13 Jul 2014, 13:30 (9575 Views)
VeloYourSwaggyDragon
I am... swaggy

I've only been to the movie once so far. And I saw the regular version. I was a little concerned because there was just me, my friend, and like, 10-20 other people in the theater room watching it. ^)
Either everyone else was in another room watching the 3D version or Colorado has very few HtTYD fans.

As for audience reactions, I wasn't paying attention enough to catch any reactions if there were. Maybe some Ooohs and yays here and there, but I'm not totally sure.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

thenightandthefury
Gronckle

Went to see it 2nd time last week, I think me and my dad were the only ones in there.. Except some guy who was there for the first part but was gone by the time it ended..

The first time there were like 10-20 people and I was with my bf and we were like hearing laughter and stuff at Astrid kissing Hiccup and finding saliva on his cheek, the Ruffnut's scenes, and gasps and stuff during Stoick's death.

They were all teenagers or older. I don't think there were that many kids.

Doesn't help I heard People magazine published an article about the movie being "too dark for children" right after it was released.

doeslingx
...and one other reason

thenightandthefury
13 Jul 2014, 17:56
Doesn't help I heard People magazine published an article about the movie being "too dark for children" right after it was released.
Yeah I don't think that's anything to worry about. I don't think I've seen anyone read a People Magazine outside of a doctor's waiting room.
I don't have a signature, see?

micromys
Cathartes Aura

doeslingx
13 Jul 2014, 20:01
thenightandthefury
13 Jul 2014, 17:56
Yeah I don't think that's anything to worry about. I don't think I've seen anyone read a People Magazine outside of a doctor's waiting room.
My mother sends it to me, and there was no such article. It had a positive review of it and included it as one of the recommended things to see in the summer.

Astrid
Gronckle

Last tuesday I watched it with a friend and I decided to pay attention to the audience reactions. So 2 main things stood out for me:

- the humor: I'm aware this might change from one country to another (and I appreciate if anyone else payed attention to this), but actually the reaction of the comic relief of the trio (ruff, snot and fishlegs) won some laughs here and there, but it was hiccup's comment that made the entire audience laugh hard. The scene is when hiccup and astrid are on eret's boat and hiccup tells them what will happen if they scare the dragons and asks them "how's your swimming" wich gets a wonderful reply "not good". This kind of humor, idk if it can be called sarcasm or qualified as wittiness (I personally refer to it as logical humor), made me remember the 1st film and actually it makes me pick this scene as my favorite scene in the entire movie because it made me remember why this franchise is so good, for me that scene had the essence of the 1st film.

-the scene of stoick's death, I was giggling at the silence of the room, quite happy to see that kind of reaction for a serious/unexpected event.

micromys
Cathartes Aura

Astrid
14 Jul 2014, 05:14
Last tuesday I watched it with a friend and I decided to pay attention to the audience reactions. So 2 main things stood out for me:

- the humor: I'm aware this might change from one country to another (and I appreciate if anyone else payed attention to this), but actually the reaction of the comic relief of the trio (ruff, snot and fishlegs) won some laughs here and there, but it was hiccup's comment that made the entire audience laugh hard. The scene is when hiccup and astrid are on eret's boat and hiccup tells them what will happen if they scare the dragons and asks them "how's your swimming" wich gets a wonderful reply "not good". This kind of humor, idk if it can be called sarcasm or qualified as wittiness (I personally refer to it as logical humor), made me remember the 1st film and actually it makes me pick this scene as my favorite scene in the entire movie because it made me remember why this franchise is so good, for me that scene had the essence of the 1st film.

-the scene of stoick's death, I was giggling at the silence of the room, quite happy to see that kind of reaction for a serious/unexpected event.
The "not good" has gotten laughs every time I've seen it! It's a great moment, haha. Although to be honest, this last time I started laughing ahead of time whenever they showed Eret's boat, because all of the scenes around it are so funny.

doeslingx
...and one other reason

micromys
14 Jul 2014, 05:32
Astrid
14 Jul 2014, 05:14

The "not good" has gotten laughs every time I've seen it! It's a great moment, haha. Although to be honest, this last time I started laughing ahead of time whenever they showed Eret's boat, because all of the scenes around it are so funny.
Strange, the audience where I was didn't laugh much at that. Could be something to do with the intentionally 'dumb' British accent that the 'not good' guy does, which maybe didn't work so well with British people (I'm guessing you guys are Americans because Astrid uses 'humor' (rather than 'humour') and micromys uses 'gotten' (rather than 'got'), but tell me if I'm wrong :P ).

The thing that got the biggest laugh I think was where Gobber covered the kid's eyes during the Hiccstrid kiss.
I don't have a signature, see?

ToothlessNightFury
Toothless

a little girl in front of me and my mom just bawlled her eyes out from when the good bewilderbeast died to Stoick's furnual.

the 2nd time I saw it I ran into some friends there who agreed that Stoick's death was heart breaking. Well they told me after the fact. I saw them from a distance at the theater and didn't realize it was them till they waved when they were leaving.
Believe a Dragon Can Thaw A Frozen Heart Role Play Based of HTTYD and Frozen

Around here we don't look back. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.-Walt Disney

Night fury fire

[b]
[color=blue]We're fangirls! It's an occupational hazard...
[/color]
[/b]

Both times I've watched it, I loved the cries of disgust when cloudjumper regurgitated the fish heads and toothless slurped them up. I often love gross but funny scenes like that. I think I must have been one of the few people who was laughing their heads off during that scene :P
^_^ ;) :D :$ :P 8) :'( :( ^) :O :blink: >:( <3 <- me seeing httyd 2

Toothless123
Night Fury

When Stoick jumped off Skullcrusher in the battle and grabbed Valka, I actually said, "What?!" aloud, because I thought it was so amazing. :D