Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Audience reactions
Topic Started: 14 Oct 2014, 00:16 (9623 Views)
hcsp1
My only master is the free wind

Everyone mentioning their moms made me remember something. When I showed my mother the movie(Which, as of now, is the last time I watched it), I remember her asking me "The father is coming back to life right? They can't kill them off like that!" Much to her dismay, it never happened. She also had a few tears during Stoick's ship.

Also, something that bugs me. I think I mentioned in some topic that around here, Toothless's name is Shom-Shen, which means "Not even one tooth". But for some baffling reason, she keeps calling it "Shen-Shom", which is a name of a food. It will drive me insane one day, I'm sure!
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

hcsp1

Everyone mentioning their moms made me remember something. When I showed my mother the movie(Which, as of now, is the last time I watched it), I remember her asking me "The father is coming back to life right? They can't kill them off like that!" Much to her dismay, it never happened. She also had a few tears during Stoick's ship.

Also, something that bugs me. I think I mentioned in some topic that around here, Toothless's name is Shom-Shen, which means "Not even one tooth". But for some baffling reason, she keeps calling it "Shen-Shom", which is a name of a food. It will drive me insane one day, I'm sure!

RealHousewifeofBerk
"You don't know this yet, but people need you."
<3

hcsp1
14 Oct 2014, 04:17
Also, something that bugs me. I think I mentioned in some topic that around here, Toothless's name is Shom-Shen, which means "Not even one tooth".
...Huh? :blink:

My other fandoms summed up in gifs:

"You have the heart of a Hiro and the soul of a Tadashi."

hcsp1

RealHousewifeofBerk
15 Oct 2014, 22:27
hcsp1
14 Oct 2014, 04:17
Also, something that bugs me. I think I mentioned in some topic that around here, Toothless's name is Shom-Shen, which means "Not even one tooth".
...Huh? :blink:
We have this problem with transalations where I live, they usually suck. For example, the franchise here is known as "Hadrakon Hareshon Sheli" which actually means "My First Dragon". So, Toothless's local name here(In the films and the first book) is "Shom-Shen" which I already said what it means. To be honest, I'm okay with that name, it's kinda catchy and rolls off the tounge. I still call him Toothless however, no matter what language I speak at the moment.

WasBornCrazy
i dont think my avatar is working but ehh

I watched the movie 3 times in cinemas. The second viewing was the worst, the third not coming too far behind.

There was a 4 year old behind me with her mother. I remember something like this happening when I watched the last Ice Age movie, but the little girl came down and sat next to me for some strange reason. Normally, I'd smile at her and introduce myself and everything, but this was HTTYD 2, so I just glanced at her and smiled. I turned to the screen, and she started to be a pain in the butt.

I'm sure there's going to be some of you who think she's only a kid, and she isn't doing it on purpose, but I think she knew I was getting pissed off, and she kept asking stupid questions.

E.G
What's that? (A house...)
Is the big monster breathing fire? (No. The bewilderbeast breathes ice...)
Is he riding a dragon? (Ugh. No, he's riding on a giant elephant.)
Is the person going to the beach? (No. He's saving his flipping village.)
etc
etc

The worst bit was when the funeral bit. She asked me if Hiccup will swim after his dad. Then she started laughing.

Not to mention she said something about Hiccup being Anna (Frozen), because he was frozen. I got so pissed.

She tripped over and hit her head just after that. But there was no connection.
i'm not very active anymore!! it's sad, but i'll come back sometimes to feel nostalgic ahaha

Pikey
Wow!

That would piss me off immediately, though I would blame the mother more for not telling her to keep quiet.
surely that should be a given, if i was the mum i would tell her to if only so that i could enjoy the movie too

Maybe I'm just the devil, but I tend to ignore everyone else if I'm watching a movie, unless there has to be a reason (ie. they spoke to me first).
hcsp1
16 Oct 2014, 06:14
We have this problem with transalations where I live, they usually suck. For example, the franchise here is known as "Hadrakon Hareshon Sheli" which actually means "My First Dragon". So, Toothless's local name here(In the films and the first book) is "Shom-Shen" which I already said what it means. To be honest, I'm okay with that name, it's kinda catchy and rolls off the tounge. I still call him Toothless however, no matter what language I speak at the moment.
I don't see why names really have to be translated, I could understand it if the name would be hard to pronounce for other languages, but the names don't have to be translated otherwise. And that's not just for English either, any language (aside from the about exception) should not have names translated. :ermm:

Toothless123
Night Fury

Whitefang
13 Oct 2014, 22:43
Toothless123
13 Oct 2014, 21:21
I think I've mentioned this on the thread before, but I remember my cousin was hiding his face with his knees at Stoick's funeral, and he's "tough".
My dad leaned forward when the battle for the Dragon Sanctuary started, because he didn't want to miss a single thing :P
XD My mom was trying to hide the fact that she was crying during Stoick's Ship behind her 3D glasses.
I noticed anyways and pestered her about it later. ^_^
The same thing happened to me. :P

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Quote:

I don't see why names really have to be translated, I could understand it if the name would be hard to pronounce for other languages, but the names don't have to be translated otherwise. And that's not just for English either, any language (aside from the about exception) should not have names translated.
Ordinarily, I agree with your point, but HTTYD is an exception. Characters's names in this franchise are, in many cases, supposed to have fairly explicit meanings. This is especially the case for Toothless. Think about it, why would Hiccup give Toothless that name if he didn't think, albeit for a short period of time, that he was literally toothless? In this regard, the name "Shom-Shem" actually works rather well, since it has a similar meaning. I have no idea how well it works in practice, which would be affected by many other things, but on a basic level, it's fine.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

Pikey
Wow!

The only problem I have is that sometimes names can be more local to their origin and hard to translate, which causes this issue; I'm interested to know how 'Fishlegs' and even 'Hiccup' are translated.

Quincy Dan
Member Avatar
The real Hiccup

I pre-screened it, then took some friends to the show, and their reactions were pretty great both at the Stoick saves hiccup scene, and the Blue-toothless scene.