Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Edit: China! HTTYD2 International success
Topic Started: 15 Jul 2014, 18:37 (5089 Views)
MartianArchaeologist
Member Avatar
Gronckle

"How To Train Your Dragon 2 (FOX) scores No. 1s in 30+ markets"

"HTTYD2 missed the top overseas spot by a scant $1.2M in the estimates. "

"In Mexico, another big World Cup country, HTTYD2 kicked off at No. 1 with a final $6.8M from 2,437 screens. In all, the Dean DeBlois-directed sequel took No. 1s in more than 30 markets and now has an international weekend cume of $76.9M. It still has the majority of top European markets to come."

http://www.deadline.com/2014/06/interan ... ent-china/
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Eret
....Son of Eret

Its also officially been approved for a release in China, the biggest film market in the world outside of the US :)

dorcas18
Dragon Egg

Eret
15 Jul 2014, 23:34
Its also officially been approved for a release in China, the biggest film market in the world outside of the US :)
Yeah! It'll be released in China at 14 August... And, they have it in IMAX as well!! All China httyd fans are on standby with their purse and cards ready 8)
Every bucket is unique, observe and you will see~

MartianArchaeologist
Member Avatar
Gronckle

It had to get approval?? Well no wonder!

Eret
....Son of Eret

MartianArchaeologist
16 Jul 2014, 01:54
Yes, there is no rating system for movies in China, so foreign films have to be approved for all audiences before they can show at all... thats why a lot of movies are heavily censored to the point that entire scenes that don't meet their strict censorship laws are completely taken out.

doeslingx
...and one other reason

Dammit UK. Last week it was 'Mrs Brown's Boys D'Movie' at no. 1, this week it's Transformers 4. HTTYD2 at no. 2. But good to see that most countries have better taste.
I don't have a signature, see?

mr.k.c.w.
Dragon fan in Hong Kong
[b](Above this title is a very dorky Hiccup.)
[/b]

Eret
16 Jul 2014, 02:49
MartianArchaeologist
16 Jul 2014, 01:54
Yes, there is no rating system for movies in China, so foreign films have to be approved for all audiences before they can show at all... thats why a lot of movies are heavily censored to the point that entire scenes that don't meet their strict censorship laws are completely taken out.
Emphasis on censor. China really don't want any foreign films to promote or imply anything that would let the people know about things that might weaken their governing power, so they take it out from films. In HTTYD2's case, I think they might censor anything that implies freedom...and add some scenes aren't even in the movie(Not sure about adding scenes thing though, I remember I read something about that on an article or something).

I think China sometimes is kind of over-paranoid about things that might not even happen. What is the point of censoring the movie when you can't fully enjoy the movie as it was originally supposed to be?
Nothing is in this signature, except this sentence describing that there is nothing in this signature.

Seriously, I, [INSERT USERNAME HERE] have nothing to say here. Continue on with your viewing of not-so regularly scheduled posts.

[INSERT CALMING, SUITABLE FOR READING MUSIC]

Sorry to interrupt, I just wanna say....uh...what was I trying to say again? Never mind, continue reading.

HTTYD PT
Gronckle

Where in portugal the movie lunch in 12 june in the first 2 weeks the was in 2º place, when i go to see the movie in the 3 week was in 3 place and now 1 mounth later the movie is in 4 place but here inportugal say this movie is in top 5 in 1 mouth if the movie stay more 1 or 2 weeks could be the record of the film lasted longer in the top 5. 8) ;)

Night fury fire

[b]
[color=blue]We're fangirls! It's an occupational hazard...
[/color]
[/b]

Why Ireland why? Everyone over here is watching mrs browns boys which is supposed to be a bunch of sh*t, oh and the fault in our stars. I hate Ireland
^_^ ;) :D :$ :P 8) :'( :( ^) :O :blink: >:( <3 <- me seeing httyd 2

MartianArchaeologist
Member Avatar
Gronckle

HTTYD PT RIC
16 Jul 2014, 09:38
Where in portugal the movie lunch in 12 june in the first 2 weeks the was in 2º place, when i go to see the movie in the 3 week was in 3 place and now 1 mounth later the movie is in 4 place but here inportugal say this movie is in top 5 in 1 mouth if the movie stay more 1 or 2 weeks could be the record of the film lasted longer in the top 5. 8) ;)
You will have to keep us posted as to how it does. <3