Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
What dose Valka think of Astrid?
Topic Started: 19 Jul 2014, 21:46 (2488 Views)
HiccupxAstrid123
Member Avatar
Gronckle

What do you guys think?
HICCSTRID IS SOOOO CUTE
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Jendora
Hiccup's Girlfriend

Okay...it's been almost a month since I saw the movie, but Valka never really encountered Astrid, did she? I don't remember much of the ending because I was all "Stoick died? WHAT?" :blink: at that point. I'm guessing she saw Hiccup kiss Astrid and it doesn't seem that Valka disapprove. She seemed to accept Hiccup's choices (well, except the idea of taking on Drago, but that was kinda a dumb idea, it seems). I'm sure we'll get some kinda confirmation early in Dragons 3 about this, though.

Was Valka in the ending, though? I know she was in the battle, but what about after it ended? Did she appear in the rebuilding sequence or the dragon racing ending sequence? I honestly can't remember.
Coming Soon!!

micromys
Cathartes Aura

Astrid waves at Valka as they fly overhead in the end, and Valka waves back at her. Honestly, I think Valka is probably pretty fond of Astrid, and not just because Hiccup's obviously happy with her.

ToothlessNightFury
Toothless

When they officially meet:

:hiccup: Mom, this is Astrid. She's my uh friend wh's a girl
:snotlout: She's his girl friend. Although I'm not sure why when she could have all this. (Flexes muscles)
:valka: ... Oh Hiccup you have a girl friend I'm so happy for you! And Astrid aren't you a lovely lady for my Hiccup!!
:hiccup: :$
Believe a Dragon Can Thaw A Frozen Heart Role Play Based of HTTYD and Frozen

Around here we don't look back. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.-Walt Disney

BerserkDragon
antisocial british nerd with a youtube channel

micromys
20 Jul 2014, 07:48
Astrid waves at Valka as they fly overhead in the end, and Valka waves back at her. Honestly, I think Valka is probably pretty fond of Astrid, and not just because Hiccup's obviously happy with her.
I DIDN'T NOTICE THIS PLEASE TELL ME MORE XD
Me? An otaku? Pfff.

Yes I do like dragons if you're wondering. Doesn't seem like it from my profile pic n signature, I know, but I do.

micromys
Cathartes Aura

BerserkDragon
20 Jul 2014, 15:58
micromys
20 Jul 2014, 07:48
I DIDN'T NOTICE THIS PLEASE TELL ME MORE XD
Haha there's not that much to tell? Someone mentioned it, and so I've looked for it in the past two viewings, and it definitely happens. As the last scene goes on and Astrid flies ahead, she waves down at someone on the ground, and if you look it's Valka, who waves back. They also acknowledge each other when comforting Hiccup after Stoick's death, and Valka is smiling when she watches Hiccup kiss Astrid at the end too.

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Well, there is the potential for a lot of interesting conflict between the pair. Obviously, Valka has just reunited with her son, and would like to spend time with him. Astrid, on the other hand, is in a long-term relationship with Hiccup, one that will, barring the offhand chance of one of them dying, will lead to marriage and a family. Therefore, it stands to reason that there would be some tension between the two, as each would feel on some level (most likely a subconscious one) that the other is taking Hiccup from them.

But...

This is Valka we're talking about, and since there seems to be some sort of cosmic force preventing anyone who isn't blatantly evil from having any problem with her whatsoever, the two of them will get along fine.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

micromys
Cathartes Aura

I would be really surprised -- and disappointed -- if there ended up being conflict between them. To be honest, I'd think they'd both worry more about intruding on each other's relationship with Hiccup. I mean, Valka being there isn't a threat to Astrid's relationship with Hiccup at all, no more than Stoick's presence was. And considering that he's never known his mother and he just lost his father, I can't see Astrid being resentful about Hiccup wanting to spend time with Valka. From Valka's side of it, she knows the choices she made and she feels guilty about them, so I can't see her pushing to take up more of Hiccup's time, and certainly not time away from Astrid. She knows he has his established relationships and she knows it's because of her own decision that she wasn't one of them, so she's going to likely try to keep from stepping on any toes.

I think they might have some awkwardness, certainly, as they feel their way around each other and figure out how to work as a family -- because they pretty much are family, now. But I can't see any real conflict. If there's conflict, it'll likely be between Hiccup and Valka if Hiccup sometimes struggles with her choices when he's more depressed/stressed out. The thing about Astrid is that even though she may not agree with the choices Valka has made -- in fact, I'm pretty sure she doesn't agree with them -- I also can't see her causing problems about it. She'll probably take her cues from Hiccup as to how to act around Valka. Hiccup is obviously glad to have her back in his life, and Astrid wouldn't want to do anything that would mar that happiness or put more of a burden on him than he's already carrying. Plus, I don't think she'd see it as her place. It's Hiccup's mother, not hers. How often do you interfere with someone's relationship with their parents, even if it's your significant other?

So, yeah. I guess I just can't see why either of them would think the other was "taking" Hiccup from them. Valka didn't have Hiccup to begin with because she chose to leave, so I think she'll be happy with whatever she gets of him now. As for Astrid, Hiccup's the chief now. If anyone's taking time with him away from her, it's the village, not Valka -- and she obviously understands his responsibility to the village and is supportive of it. They'll probably have some stumbles as they try to figure out how to be a family, but I don't think it'll be too hard for them to get through it at all.

ToothlessNightFury
Toothless

Well, it could be that she is a little jealous if Astrid. A lot of mothers aren't very fond of their son's girl friends. They watm up eventually but at first it's a little tense because they just want to make sure their boys are taken care of well.

But with the way they showed Valka smiling at Hiccup and Astrid kissing at the end I don't think she will be jealous of Asrtid really. Maybe if Hiccup only spent time with her, but I'm assuming sonce she is his mom Valka might move back in with Hiccup?
Believe a Dragon Can Thaw A Frozen Heart Role Play Based of HTTYD and Frozen

Around here we don't look back. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.-Walt Disney

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Quote:

How often do you interfere with someone's relationship with their parents, even if it's your significant other?
Now, I haven't been in a romantic relationship (yeah, big shock to everyone, I'm sure), but based on what I've gathered from many accounts from other people, that is actually fairly standard behaviour. People naturally interfere in each other's relationships, overstepping boundaries and the like. I'm not saying that's right; I'm just saying that's how people act.

And that's exactly why it won't happen between Valka and Astrid. No one (with the possible exception of Drago) actually acts like a human being around Valka. I don't know why, though I could make some guesses if I absolutely had to. In the end, the reasons aren't really relevant, except perhaps as cautionary tales to others - it's the result that matters, and the result is no conflict between Valka and any character with a shred of goodness in them, and thus no interesting character interactions involving Valka. It is unfortunate, but hey, even I doubt it will get any worse. If there was a time when Valka was going to completely steal the show, it was the second film. In the third film, we'll only have to deal with her being completely boring and a waste of screentime. That's not so bad in the big scheme of things.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.