Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Who would you like to interview?
Topic Started: 23 Jul 2014, 18:54 (4539 Views)
IcelandicEel
Administrator

I'm thinking about getting some people who worked on the movie to do interviews on Berk's Grapevine! Who would you like to hear from, and what sort of questions would you ask them? It can be specific people, or people in an area you're interested in (storyboarding, lighting, effects, etc.). Obviously, I can't guarantee anything, but I'm interested in what you're thinking.

^_^
Did someone say... dragons?
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Lastandir
Gronckle

John Powell (many questions... and not so many answers) and even Jónsi, Simon Otto (he have twitter, so it is not so hard anyway to share question ;) ) or anyone who worked on visual side of the movie. Maybe animators or concept artists? And of course directors (but i think Bonnie Arnold is the most mysterious person ^_^ )

IcelandicEel
Administrator

Oh, I didn't even think of the musical side! You're right, that would be awesome! It would be great to hear more about that part of the film! What kinds of questions would you ask?

Dan_Oceans
What do I put here again?

the people who animated Ruffnut, Toothless, and Astrid as well as the animators of the Bewilderbeast battle. I would ask how long each scene took on average to animate and how many details wound they have to pay attention to.
"can you hear the birds sing? saying go the f*** to sleep (to the sound of les mis)"
Spoiler: click to toggle

Eret
....Son of Eret

How about Valka's supervising animator, berksgrapevine user valkasboy??? Would love to hear about what its like to be a supervising animator and the responsibilities that come with it. Also how one makes move up from being a regular animator to a supervising one.

IcelandicEel
Administrator

I'd definitely like to hear more about how the battle scene was created. It would also be interesting to hear the process behind creating so many different-looking dragons living in the nest, what was created by hand and what was created algorithmically.

Lastandir
Gronckle

IcelandicEel
23 Jul 2014, 23:21
Oh, I didn't even think of the musical side! You're right, that would be awesome! It would be great to hear more about that part of the film! What kinds of questions would you ask?
Hmmm... About Powell+Jónsi collaboration definitely. What changed in their music workshop after that? What did they learned from this collaboration?Maybe question about working with Dean? His vision about music in movies (as Dean said in "letter" in soundtrack to sequel - he is not a musician; that can be interesting how he see music as an amateurs - in the view of professional composer). Question about inspiration. About HTTYD3 (not only confirmation that they will work on music to the next movie).

It is middle of the night for me (just 2am), I have a full day behind. I will try find tomorrow (I mean... today 8) ) more questions. As a ultimate fan of HTTYD soundtrack, I should easily prepare some more questions.

MigMigg
Dragon Egg

I would like to know the "day in the life of" or something like that for animators and storyboarders.

dragons_ind
My avatar just got 20% Cooler

I would like to ask the storyboard artist, like how many storyboards they used through the movie and there should be deleted scenes. James Baxter, animation supervisor, about the fight scene in battle of bewilderbeast, the final aftermath (alpha toothless). Crowd Supervisor, like how many dragons in dragon sanctuary, humans when drago attack the sanctuary. John Powell about Flying With Mother, Toothless Found, and Two New Alphas score. Randy Thom about voicing Toothless and Auro 11.1.

And there so many question about animation and VFX, like how the bewilderbeast's ice spitting works, and many others.
Ninety-nine buckets of fireworms on the wall, ninety-nine buckets of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got ninety-eight buckets of fireworms on the wall....................... Forty-one buckets of fireworms on the wall, forty-one buckets of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got forty buckets of fireworms on the wall..........- one bucket of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got zero buckets of fireworms on the waaaaaaaaaallllllllllllll.

Oneill5491
Terrible Terror

Tom Owens, head of story (also director of GotNF).

I actually emailed him a while back to complement him for his work in GotNF and to also suggest an idea, in collaboration with inhonoredglory, to "dress" the opening DreamWorks logo to HTTYD 2. She provided a sample of art work to show what we would like to see in the opening studio logo sequence:

We just asked that he consider pitching the idea (which we both agreed was an obvious one) to the powers that be when the time was appropriate. It bewilders me that DreamWorks didn't do a single thing to dress the opening logo in HTTYD 2 despite it being a studio tradition and also considering they had Toothless' silhouette fly by in HTTYD 1.

But I digress. Tom Owens would be an awesome person to ask how challenging it was to bring all the story elements/plots together as balanced as possible in a constrained runtime.