Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Was the death of stoick really necessary?
Topic Started: 28 Jul 2014, 06:37 (2039 Views)
Night fury fire

[b]
[color=blue]We're fangirls! It's an occupational hazard...
[/color]
[/b]

I know some people will totally disagree with me on this. But I just wonder why they killed stoick in the first place

Lots of people are saying that stoick had to die for hiccup to become chief. But when people say that I instantly think of dagur, and how he said his father was "eliminated", I don't want to fell like there was no other option for hiccup to become chief. But at the start of the film stoick was going to retire anyway. And it almost felt like chiefdom was just forced upon him.

Secondly, stoicks death didn't really seem to connect to anything, apart from some character development between hiccup and toothless. It also felt slightly like a cliché, because of the fact that everything was right and then suddenly it all went wrong.

The first time I went to see it, my mom said that stoicks death was a bit to much, and I agree. It wasn't just the fact that he died, it was how he died. Brainwashing toothless, who had been acting so cute and protective, against them. Even though there are lots of mature fans of httyd, there are also lots of younger fans, and I doubt this went down very well.

Of course, they may have had to kill to him, because Gerard was not planning to come back. But apart from that the death only seemed to be added for emotional content, and some character development.

I probably just started a fandom war against myself...but please remember this is only my opinion.
^_^ ;) :D :$ :P 8) :'( :( ^) :O :blink: >:( <3 <- me seeing httyd 2
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

HTTYD PT
Gronckle

In my opinion it was necessary because the Stoick was already old and not to say that they died of old age invented something and decided that there a his death in a war.

Whitefang
twelve days north of hopeless

I personally think that it could go either way. One could say Stoick's death made his son a stronger leader since he won't have his father to fall back on. Someone else could say that Hiccup would have become chief anyway even if Stoick didn't die. Those are a few of the opinions I've heard so far.
Personally, I didn't have any problems with how it was carried out- no one in the theater expected it and it was sad but the funeral scene that followed only proceeded to kick me right in the feels and it was just amazing
My parents both said it was not needed and I disagree. It's not that I wanted Stoick to die (who did?), but I felt like it gave Hiccup another reason to fight and win. But I'll definitely miss Stoick in the coming film.
These are just my opinions please don't kill me bye. :stoick:
Find me on tumblr and deviantart!
I have been here an embarrassingly long time

8)

VeloYourSwaggyDragon
I am... swaggy

I feel Stoick's death was important because it was the consequence of Hiccup's arrogance and ignoring the warnings about Drago he had received multiple times prior to meeting him. It was a harsh lesson resulted from not considering the experienced party's side and making the rash decision to try reasoning with a treacherous man he had never even met.

This lesson unfortunately didn't impact the outcome of the rest of the movie, but I'm hoping will show in the next film.

ToothlessNightFury
Toothless

I think it was. As was said above Hiccup was convonced that anyone could change. And Drago proved him wrong by killing his father.

I also think it had to happen because Hiccup would've probably kept avoiding his father's chief training to avoid becoming chief longer. This way he was forced to take over. Just like how in Lion King, Simba was forced to take over when he reached the age because of his father dying.
Believe a Dragon Can Thaw A Frozen Heart Role Play Based of HTTYD and Frozen

Around here we don't look back. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.-Walt Disney

doeslingx
...and one other reason

Necessary? Well, probably not, but the film is better because it happens. It just adds several layers of darkness that you would not expect in a film that is, ostensibly, for kids. In most (Western) kids' films with parental deaths, I think they happen towards the beginning of the film, then the audience has the next 80 minutes to get over the shock and watch the hero(ine) recover and grow (thinking Bambi, Lion King, Land Before Time here). In HTTYD2, the film is three-quarters of the way through already, and the hero is already full grown, when it happens.

It's unexpected and hits you right in the gut so yeah, from a narrative perspective, I think it works awesomely.

I don't have a signature, see?

draco
mystery dragon, pic drawn by night fury fire. Thank you :)

VeloYourSwaggyDragon
28 Jul 2014, 14:06
I feel Stoick's death was important because it was the consequence of Hiccup's arrogance and ignoring the warnings about Drago he had received multiple times prior to meeting him. It was a harsh lesson resulted from not considering the experienced party's side and making the rash decision to try reasoning with a treacherous man he had never even met.

This lesson unfortunately didn't impact the outcome of the rest of the movie, but I'm hoping will show in the next film.
I'm in agreement with you.
Stoic tried to tell hiccup more than once drago was ruthless, and hiccup wouldn't listen to him. And the result was a heavy price stoic had to pay, and hiccup had to learn the hard way.
Dragons, need I say more.

Hiccup, chief of berc, dragon master.
Toothless, alpha dragon.
You and me bud we can do this, as one.
It's just a zipple misunderstanding
I like a pit, but I love a boar pit.
i am hurt,I am very much hurt.

micromys
Cathartes Aura

I'm in agreement with some of the previous statements that it was necessary to show Hiccup the consequences of his actions. I don't know anything else that would have driven the point home quite so well -- and the thing with Stoick is he's a beloved character that the audience would feel the loss of that also had already completed his character arc. Although l will obviously miss him being around, I also feel he'd done what he'd needed to do in the franchise.

I feel like I should clarify though -- obviously few things are absolutely necessary in any story, and so of course technically they could have chosen to do something else. I'm just saying I understand this choice and I think it worked.

Zer0x

[b]Banhammerdragon
[/b]

There have to be continuity in the number of main characters on movie sequels. When a new character appears it is often the death warrant for another.
UNAMUSED

No, I'm serious....stop it..