Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
HTTYD2 Highest Grossing Animated Film To Date!
Topic Started: 28 Aug 2014, 18:17 (5398 Views)
BerserkDragon
antisocial british nerd with a youtube channel

When I found this out I was just

Me? An otaku? Pfff.

Yes I do like dragons if you're wondering. Doesn't seem like it from my profile pic n signature, I know, but I do.

PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

dorcas18
Dragon Egg

Zer0x
26 Aug 2014, 19:39
Too bad that it is still not enough to make it financially worthwhile for DW. They would have needed $100,000,000 more. :unsure:
What does it mean by "financially worthwhile"? ^)
Every bucket is unique, observe and you will see~

I Love You
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

dorcas18
28 Aug 2014, 23:11
It means if the producers think the movie franchise made enough profit.

Pikey
Wow!

Well wasn't there a predicted gross amount, which HTTYD 2 succeeded already? Doesn't that make it financially worthwhile for them?

Oneill5491
Terrible Terror

Pikey
29 Aug 2014, 01:10
Well wasn't there a predicted gross amount, which HTTYD 2 succeeded already? Doesn't that make it financially worthwhile for them?
Yeah, I'm curious to know how much they were looking to get. Although the domestic box office performance was disappointing, it was a smash hit overseas. While I understand that the studio will get a lesser percentage of overseas revenues, I would have to think they'll still get enough from the $400 million to be somewhat satisfied.

Does anyone know how much marketing costs were for this movie? I know they have already broke even with production costs a long time ago, but how much does a studio expect to get back to cover marketing costs? I also have to imagine that the studio expects to recoup marketing costs by revenue from other franchise channels like the upcoming Netflix series and merchandising.

mr.k.c.w.
Dragon fan in Hong Kong
[b](Above this title is a very dorky Hiccup.)
[/b]

Pikey
29 Aug 2014, 01:10
When you say that there is a predicted amount, did you mean the industry prediction or what DreamWorks internally thought Dragons 2 will gross? Because if you're saying HTTYD2 succeeded to expect the industry prediction, you're wrong. In fact, it still fell short of the 700 million mark which the movie industry predicted it will gross, with now only at 585.5 million. And I'm not seeing that China can break the 200 million mark at their box office to reach that number...even though it has the record of the highest animated movie openings there.

As for DreamWorks...I'm not sure. Sure, it made back the production cost...but what about marketing costs? Advertisements are most of the times, expensive, especially when you are showing the movie in over 50 countries. So...I'm guessing that they expected around the 600-700 million. This is just a random guess though.

The point is, HTTYD2 is not doing not that well in terms of box office numbers from what others expected it to make. But we can all agree that it is a great movie...just not that well-preformed in terms of box office grossing.

Nothing is in this signature, except this sentence describing that there is nothing in this signature.

Seriously, I, [INSERT USERNAME HERE] have nothing to say here. Continue on with your viewing of not-so regularly scheduled posts.

[INSERT CALMING, SUITABLE FOR READING MUSIC]

Sorry to interrupt, I just wanna say....uh...what was I trying to say again? Never mind, continue reading.

Pikey
Wow!

Ah, for some reason I thought it was a lot lower. Shame really. :(

Night Fury
Member Avatar
Terrible Terror

The break-even point, or when it starts to turn a profit, is about $400 million worldwide (give or take a bit depending on what percentage of the total gross is domestic vs. overseas). It's important to remember that DreamWorks only gets a small percentage of overseas grosses (the actual amount varies by country). DreamWorks considers anything above $500 million worldwide to be "not disappointing", but they were hoping for quite a bit more.

I believe they will be happy with $600+ million considering how poorly it started out, and they can mostly thank China for that.

Sabrina
Terrible Terror

Apes kinda destroyed Dragons run in China. It won't reach 70m anymore. :'(
"Pain... love it."

MartianArchaeologist
Member Avatar
Gronckle

dorcas18
28 Aug 2014, 23:11
Zer0x
26 Aug 2014, 19:39
Too bad that it is still not enough to make it financially worthwhile for DW. They would have needed $100,000,000 more. :unsure:
So, it's over $600 million now... is it "financially worthwhile yet?"

Also, what happened to Japan? Will "Dragons 2" have a Japan release before the DVD comes out? Did I miss something? :blink: