Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
The best moments from the soundtrack
Topic Started: 21 Sep 2014, 04:14 (4046 Views)
RachaelRose
Dragon Egg

I'd have to say that my favourite at the moment (it's constantly changing) is Toothless Found but the combination of Stoick Saves Hiccup and Stoick's Ship renders me speechless on every listen. Saying that, every track is stunning. John Powell did an excellent job.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Toothless123
Night Fury

2:47-3:12 of Meet Drago sounded a bit like the Imperial March from Star Wars to my dad (and me) when we listen(ed) to the soundtrack in the car. Now we call it Drago's Imperial March. :P

Oh, and I love the horn part at 2:30-2:33 in Toothless Found. The whole track onwards from that sort of reminds me of the Kung Fu Panda films' soundtracks- not surprising, as it was conducted by the same person :P -as does 2:24-2:30 in New Tail.
But I love the whole thing- 2:36-2:49 is particularly epic. 8)

0:57-1:54 of Two New Alphas is epic, too! And 3:52-4:26 should really be the Berk anthem! :P

I also love 1:08-1:57 in Hiccup Confronts Drago. So sinister... :blink: Drago's theme really suits him.

1:57-2:11 is really just beautiful... :'( And it's a reprise of Stoick's theme, too, so...foreshadowing in music...? :blink: :'(

DarthBacon
Gronckle

HUGE comment underway :D

I love everything about this soundtrack. It is just soooo perfect. When it easily could have been a disaster, Powell has managed to deliver us a soundtrack that just tops the first one in every way possible. The music seems much more dramatic, rich and mature. When listened in isolation, it manages to convey what exactly is going on in the movie. Just by listening to the soundtrack, I can picture and recollect what happens in the movie. And that's just so amazing. If i give the soundtrack a 10/10, I'd give the movie a 6/10. That's how perfect it is. Rather than simply complementing the movie, it flies miles higher. And for my best moments in the soundtrack, here we go!

1. Toothless Found - SO SO SO SO SO EPIC. The last 80 seconds or so is genius. And finally when the flying theme just bursts through, it feels so fantastic. The best score in the soundtrack!

2. Flying with Mother - Everything in this one is perfect. But i just adore the choir that starts after the initial 15 seconds. The choir, the pipes, and the violin, and TOOTHLESS DRAWING. :D

3. Battle of the Bewilderbeast - When the test drive theme is played halfway through the 2nd minute in all its glory, and when the alpha theme comes in when Hiccup points Astrid towards Valka.

4. Stoick's Ship - That slow build up at 0.50, when Hiccup shoots his arrow, and when the others follow...Powell deserves an oscar just for those 15 seconds alone. And the ending, the flying theme along with the pipes. When I first heard it, I thought the song was over by the time..but then, this solo came in and just ambushed me.

5. Dragon Racing - The best opening to Any. Soundtrack. Ever. Period. Powell took awesome themes from the first and made them even more awesome. But that bit when Astrids' music comes in towards the end, with that solo pipe is sooooooo ridiculously epic.

6. Hiccup confronts Drago - The tempo change midway is terrific. The usage of the male choir is genius. And when the disturbing theme from the first movie is bought in, I.. I was stunned when I heard it the first time.

7. Together We Map the World - Those strings man. Those strings. And that subtle call back to Forbidden Friendship. Wow.

8. Hiccup, the chief - The starting was unbelievably cute. And the dramatic second half had some out of the world brass. Especially at 2.07.

9. Two new Alphas - The whole darn thing. And that triumphant ending with the flying theme on trumpet.

10. Toothless Lost - The choir sounds so eerie, and the new dramatic and lost rendition of the flying theme is hauntingly beautiful.

This soundtrack has some insanely clever and thoughtful writing from Powell.. I could just talk about how awesome it is, how passionate it is and how perfect it is for hours. Every single song has its own beauty. There are no filler tracks at all. Even though none of the tracks from this can match Forbidden Friendship, this so beats the first movie's score as a whole, cohesive score. I'm dying to get the blu-ray so that I can relish and analyse how much more Powell has utilized this score.

I've said it before and I'm saying it again. Powell needs an oscar for this. He was robbed of an oscar for the first one, but if he wins with this I'll be delighted. And if the academy fails to recognize this, I'm giving up on them forever.

dragons_ind
My avatar just got 20% Cooler

DarthBacon
21 Sep 2014, 08:48
... Every single song has its own beauty. There are no filler tracks at all. Even though none of the tracks from this can match Forbidden Friendship, this so beats the first movie's score as a whole, cohesive score. I'm dying to get the blu-ray so that I can relish and analyse how much more Powell has utilized this score.
Totally agree!! Every track has it's own beauty, no track just for filling the movie up. No track that would beat the beautiful Forbidden Friendship in this track, or this year

Powell deserves Oscar for this arragement, since no other soundtracks that can beat this for this year.
*speechless :D :D :D

Ninety-nine buckets of fireworms on the wall, ninety-nine buckets of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got ninety-eight buckets of fireworms on the wall....................... Forty-one buckets of fireworms on the wall, forty-one buckets of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got forty buckets of fireworms on the wall..........- one bucket of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got zero buckets of fireworms on the waaaaaaaaaallllllllllllll.

Pikey
Wow!

As good as Forbidden Friendship is, I love me some Test Drive. :P

ChinesischSchluckauf

[b]
[color=blue]Shut up, Mokuba!
[/color]
[/b]

I'm going to try to type this quote.

How to Train Your Dragon's score is good for everything. It has Howard Shore's grandeur, John Williams' dignity, Hans Zimmer's playfulness, Harry Gregson Williams' suspense, etc.

(I can't remember all of it.Neither can I remember who it came from)
Did anybody else notice my signature has shrunk?

ChinesischSchluckauf

[b]
[color=blue]Shut up, Mokuba!
[/color]
[/b]

dragons_ind
21 Sep 2014, 12:03
DarthBacon
21 Sep 2014, 08:48
... Every single song has its own beauty. There are no filler tracks at all. Even though none of the tracks from this can match Forbidden Friendship, this so beats the first movie's score as a whole, cohesive score. I'm dying to get the blu-ray so that I can relish and analyse how much more Powell has utilized this score.
Totally agree!! Every track has it's own beauty, no track just for filling the movie up. No track that would beat the beautiful Forbidden Friendship in this track, or this year

Powell deserves Oscar for this arragement, since no other soundtracks that can beat this for this year.
*speechless :D :D :D
I imagine Howard Shore's score for the Hobbit III might be a major opponent, as well as the score for Captain America ; The Winter Soldier.

Hopefully, Powell will get the award he rightfully deserves.
Did anybody else notice my signature has shrunk?

Tessem7
Dragon Trainer

With the first movie's soundtrack, I loved it immediately. That's one of the things that roped me into the movie when I first watched it. "This is Berk" was a great song to start off the movie and definitely showed me that the movie wasn't what I expected.

I listened to the HTTYD2 soundtrack the day that it first leaked. At first, I wasn't a fan. I was almost disappointed because it wasn't as epic or grand as the first movie's soundtrack. There's a lot less percussion and more brass. However, after listening a few times the soundtrack for the second movie grew on me and now I much prefer it to the first movie.

Some of the best moments in my opinion are the middle of "Toothless Lost" (when Valka first appears in the movie), the entire "Battle of the Bewilderbeast," the part with the bagpipes in "Hiccup Confronts Drago," and "Stoick's ship." I also like the lightheartedness of "Alpha Comes to Berk." However, I think the best moment is in "Toothless Found" when Hiccup turns Toothless back.

I seriously adore the entire soundtrack and listen to it multiple times a week, so it's hard for me to pick just a few parts that are above and beyond the rest. I really, really hope that the soundtrack for the third film will be just as good as the first two films. The first two are legitimately the two best soundtracks I've ever heard.
"Thank you for summing that up."

WasBornCrazy
i dont think my avatar is working but ehh

Ok. Two words for Stoick's Ship.

HOLY CRACKERS.
i'm not very active anymore!! it's sad, but i'll come back sometimes to feel nostalgic ahaha

Whitefang
twelve days north of hopeless

WasBornCrazy
22 Sep 2014, 04:19
Ok. Two words for Stoick's Ship.

HOLY CRACKERS.
HOLY CRACKERS, INDEED.
Find me on tumblr and deviantart!
I have been here an embarrassingly long time

8)