Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Valka vs. Eret opening - screenshots
Topic Started: 19 Oct 2014, 23:42 (1801 Views)
Lastandir
Gronckle

Spoiler: click to toggle
Screenshots from next deleted scene. This time Valka vs. Eret at the beginning of the movie :)
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

BirdyTheBrave
I like big books and I cannot lie.

Whoa! I pity those animators who got to that stage and then were told to throw it out... I would have love to have seen this scene, but I can understand with the timeframe and general understanding of the movie that its current setup is better. It also leaves the element of surprise for when we meet the Bewilderbeast in Valka's dragon sanctuary!
Update guys: It's party time with Joe.

Lastandir
Gronckle

Before every deleted scene is a Dean's commentary. The reason was easy - this scene was just too dark... But for me that was just the part of the "dark HTTYD 2" where Valka was a villain.

ToothlessWorship
Gronckle

I think this scene could have been a good option in the movie. I would like a darker HTTYD2, otherwise the actual one is good too
HTTYD forever
Spoiler: click to toggle

LawOfTheSeas
Defender of Insanity and Master of Apologies

I think this could have been a valuable part of the story. While we do understand in the current version that Eret was attacked by a mysterious dragon rider, then there is talk about darker forces at play, and finally, we see Valka, and in a very Vader/Luke moment, we find out that Valka is Hiccup's mother.
However, if we had actually seen that masked face doing this sort of thing at the beginning, then it could have done good things in terms of keeping the audience hooked.
However, although I don't know what dialogue there would have been, (if there was supposed to be any) it would be even better if Valka's status was ambiguous, as it is currently in HTTYD 2, but also shown earlier.
Not exactly sure how it would be done, but it would be good.
I HAVE RETURNED!

Did you miss me?

TheBlackFluffyThing
Terrible Terror

I like the darker tone of the scene, but I think it's good they left it out, because of the storytelling.

When Hiccup and Astrid first meet Eret, he explains to them what happened and that a "do-gooder-Dragon rider" saved the dragons he captured for Drago.
If we had the Valka VS Eret scene as introduction we would already know that the masked dragon rider is the good guy and that would ruin the scene in which Hiccup sees Valka first and supposes that she might be the evil Drago.

Night Fury: The unholy offspring of lightning and death itself.