Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
5 reasons HTTYD 2 should be nominated for "Best Picture"
Topic Started: 06 Jan 2015, 14:40 (2074 Views)
hcsp1
My only master is the free wind

I was just scrolling down my Facebook wall and all the sudden I saw this:

5 reasons why 'How to Train Your Dragon 2' should be nominated for Best Picture

I don't know about you guys but I'm defenitly happy the media gives the movie its needed attention and they do bring up good points. I think "Best Picture" nomination is a bit of a strech but I'm game if that happens!

What do you guys say?
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Theotherunknown
There were dragons, when I was a boy...

I don't see why not, it took them how many years to finish the animation of the movie? No other movie that I know of took that long to create.
How many times must I fix my signature over the years?

Berserk Shieldmaiden
Superior Warriorness

It deserves it more than a 100 minute long toy commercial like Lego Movie.

hcsp1
My only master is the free wind

Rider ranger47
06 Jan 2015, 21:47
I don't see why not, it took them how many years to finish the animation of the movie? No other movie that I know of took that long to create.
Well, if we get technical, "The Theif and the Cobbler" took 36 years to finish(If I remember correctly) and to date it's still the longest time it took to finish an animated movie. Only difference is, "The Theif and the Cobbler" sucks. So, I guess it's the longest to make a GOOD one...

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Short answer: no.

Longer answer: I hereby present my five reasons why HTTYD 2 should not be nominated for Best Picture. Note that none of these mean that HTTYD is a bad film. On the contrary, it's a good film, just not on that level.

1. It's too flawed. Okay, this is a very broad reason, but probably the most important. Best Picture nominations are largely a celebration of execution, and this, more than anything else, is where HTTYD 2 falls short. The pacing is bad (especially when compared to the first film, which ranks among the most well-paced films ever), character motivations are nonexistent or nonsensical in key instances, the plot often relies on character stupidity and/or coincidence, etc. Now, none of these are fatal flaws. The film still has great moments, but in the end, it's only great in moments. As a film overall, it's good. Best Picture nominations should not be given to films that are just good. Even as cynical as I am, I like to think that there are enough great movies in any given year that the Academy doesn't need to pad out the nominations.

2. It would give a bad message. It's pretty much become a cliche to say that Hollywood films are filled with unnecessary sequels, reboots, remakes, and pretty much anything other than an original idea, but that is only because, on the surface at least, it's that obvious. HTTYD 2 is one of the most unnecessary sequels I have ever seen (Toy Story 4 will be more unnecessary, but that's future Cartoon Freak's problem). The original resolved all of its issues, and to reward such an obviously unnecessary sequel with what is basically the most coveted prize for animation studios would simply be enabling mainstream Hollywood's bad practices.

3. Mainstream popularity should never be a shortcut to a Best Picture nomination. Do you want Transformers: Age of Extinction to be nominated? Yeah, that's an easy point to make, but an important one.

4. Putting in a lot of effort doesn't inherently mean that you deserve success. The article linked in the opening post says that animation is inherently difficult. And you know what? They're right. That's also completely irrelevant. A film should be judged as it is, not for what it could have been, or what went into making it. No one in their right mind would ever deny that HTTYD 2 took a lot of work, maybe more than any of the eventual nominees for Best Picture, but if the final product isn't up to the necessary standard, then it doesn't deserve the nomination.

5. For any and every reason I've seen for HTTYD 2 to get the nomination, there is a film that exceeds it. That film? The Lego Movie. It's an animated film that proved very popular at the box office (not as popular as HTTYD 2, but more than popular enough to count as mainstream), with plenty of heart, brilliant comedy, great animation... well, I could go on, but you get the idea. In the end, The Lego Movie is the superior film, and since there's no way in a million years that two animated films are getting a Best Picture nomination, the honour has to go to the better movie. And if you'd told me a year ago that I would be saying that a movie about Lego was anything other than garbage, I would have said that you were crazy. What can I say? The advantage of being cynical is that it's good to be wrong.

Just for the record, I don't think that The Lego Movie deserves the nomination either. It's close, but not quite there.

And once again, none of this means that HTTYD 2 is not a good film, just that it doesn't deserve a Best Picture nomination. There's no shame in that.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

DarthBacon
Gronckle

Well i agree HTTYD 2 was really good and was a real step up considering the way animated sequels usually are, i think that the only award it truly deserves is the best original score. Other than that, all the other categories have better picks.

But I'm sure HTTYD 2 wont even get a best original score nomination. And if it does, Interstellar or Birdman or Gone Girl will win it. Which is entirely unfair.

ToothlessWorship
Gronckle

DarthBacon
07 Jan 2015, 14:25
Well i agree HTTYD 2 was really good and was a real step up considering the way animated sequels usually are, i think that the only award it truly deserves is the best original score. Other than that, all the other categories have better picks.

But I'm sure HTTYD 2 wont even get a best original score nomination. And if it does, Interstellar or Birdman or Gone Girl will win it. Which is entirely unfair.
Yeah, you're right. The BSO at HTTYD2 isn't as good as the first one. It didn't fit in a lot of scenes. The other movies you say deserve the Oscar

PD: I love Interstellar, and it's sad to me that surpass HTTYD2 in all points, like Best Picture
HTTYD forever
Spoiler: click to toggle