Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Golden Globe goes to How To Train Your Dragon 2
Topic Started: 17 Jan 2015, 02:31 (10704 Views)
Hope_and_Heir

[color=#B40431]Winner of Shnuckle's Oneshot Fanfiction Contest 2014
[/color]

Cartoon Freak
17 Jan 2015, 05:36
Quote:

Quote:

He made his own.
That's really not the same, in any way. If nothing else, the trophy's really not the point (well, outside of being worth some money if the Oscar trophies are made of real gold). It's just a symbol of what the award actually is: an acknowledgement from the most prestigious film awards organisation that your film was the best in [category x] that year. If I hypothetically won an Oscar (let's stretch our imaginations for this one), and then a burglar stole the trophy, I wouldn't care (well, not for the trophy, anyway), because I would still know that I won it, as would everyone else who cares about such things.
She was just trying to be funny.... :huh:
'There Were Dragons When I Was A Boy…'

PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

chupacabra
Member Avatar
Hatchling

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Oscars very clique? Like, unless you have connections to nominators, your film will never be nominated. If that's true, then Oscar nominations/awards don't really mean anything about the film's quality.

DarthBacon
Gronckle

Why I consider the score for this film a major improvement from the original is that it is not simply a rehash of the score for the 1st movie. If the entire score had been like Dragon Racing, I would have been really disappointed. But thankfully it wasn't. Sure, there was no Forbidden Friendship, and there was no Test Drive, but those could honestly happen only once. But I feel the way Powell has combined all the separate themes he had created for the original, along with the new themes for this movie is superior to the base that was set in the original score. I would love to go in detail about the sequel's score, but I feel it would bore anyone who is not really that interested in film scores.

And for the Toothless/Hiccup relationship, I was not sure of what I wanted. What I did not want was Toothless to simply be a means of travel for Hiccup. For most of the movie, he kind of was that. But I did not expect him to have so much influence over the plot, or atleast the climax. And as you exactly said so, its difficult to write about it. So I thought Dean would not go there, and would play it safe. But I give him credit for the way he handled Toothless in this movie.

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Quote:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't Oscars very clique? Like, unless you have connections to nominators, your film will never be nominated. If that's true, then Oscar nominations/awards don't really mean anything about the film's quality.
That may or may not be true. I for one would rather put their bad decisions down to stupidity rather than malice, but that's just me. With that said, the Oscars still have a lot of prestige. To give an Oscar to a movie thus still gives the image that it was the best in that category for that year. Therefore, they still matter. You need only look at all the positive reactions from HTTYD 2 fans on here to see that.
Quote:

She was just trying to be funny...
Then, to be perfectly frank, she failed (as did Lord, if that was supposed to be a joke on his part as well).
Quote:

Why I consider the score for this film a major improvement from the original is that it is not simply a rehash of the score for the 1st movie. If the entire score had been like Dragon Racing, I would have been really disappointed. But thankfully it wasn't. Sure, there was no Forbidden Friendship, and there was no Test Drive, but those could honestly happen only once. But I feel the way Powell has combined all the separate themes he had created for the original, along with the new themes for this movie is superior to the base that was set in the original score. I would love to go in detail about the sequel's score, but I feel it would bore anyone who is not really that interested in film scores.
Yes, trying something different with the score for HTTYD 2 was a better decision than simply rehashing the score from the original, but that's only because they are different movies. It doesn't follow from that that the sequel's score is better than the first film's. To decide that, you need to look at how well the scores go with their respective films, and while HTTYD 2's score is certainly no slouch in this regard, the original has it beat.
Quote:

And for the Toothless/Hiccup relationship, I was not sure of what I wanted. What I did not want was Toothless to simply be a means of travel for Hiccup. For most of the movie, he kind of was that. But I did not expect him to have so much influence over the plot, or atleast the climax. And as you exactly said so, its difficult to write about it. So I thought Dean would not go there, and would play it safe. But I give him credit for the way he handled Toothless in this movie.
Yes, Toothless was actually a character in this movie, which is better than I expected from the trailers and the TV series, but that doesn't mean that he's handled better than in the original, and it certainly doesn't mean that his relationship with Hiccup is handled better. If nothing else, the horribly uneven focus (as you yourself say, Toothless was basically transport for most of the movie) makes it worse than the original, where he is allowed to influence the plot and develop at a steady pace from beginning to end.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

SilaNightFury
Lemon Guru and Cloudjumper Fangirl~

Well I thought it was amusing. Don't you laugh, like, ever? Or are you always so serious, sir? :P

P.S. Thanks Hope_and_Heir :3, but my humor goes over the heads of many.
^_^

AndyMay

[b]
[color=#d51c1c]The Lemon God
[/color]
[/b]

Mods please lock, this thread has been completely derailed and is now just some petty argument about whether The Lego Movie deserves and Oscar or not.
Top Poester for 6 Months Award :D

Pakba
Member Avatar
Terrible Terror

AndyMay
17 Jan 2015, 19:26
Mods please lock, this thread has been completely derailed and is now just some petty argument about whether The Lego Movie deserves and Oscar or not.
^ backseat modding

anyways, I think the award should have gone to Big Hero 6 instead of Dragons 2. Dragons 2 had too many subplots which weakened the focus on Hiccup's transition from child to man. What was the point of showing Tuffnut's love problems? Big Hero 6 was more focused on Hiro overcoming his depression.

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Quote:

Well I thought it was amusing. Don't you laugh, like, ever? Or are you always so serious, sir?
I laugh frequently. Heck, the fact that I'm defending The Lego Movie here should show that I have an appreciation for comedy.

But the thing is, the joke has to actually be funny, and that joke would only have been funny if the actual physical Oscar trophy was the point of the award. To put it simply, it isn't (unless it secretly functions as a key to allow the bearer access to some weird underground Hollywood club or something).
Quote:

anyways, I think the award should have gone to Big Hero 6 instead of Dragons 2. Dragons 2 had too many subplots which weakened the focus on Hiccup's transition from child to man. What was the point of showing Tuffnut's love problems? Big Hero 6 was more focused on Hiro overcoming his depression.
Now this is an argument I've wanted to see, but haven't felt sufficiently strongly about to start. I would like to defend HTTYD 2's handling of death compared to Big Hero 6. Now, it is definitely true that Big Hero 6 was better at showing the aftermath of the death. It takes Hiro most of the movie to recover, as it should. However, I think HTTYD 2 was much better at making the death itself dramatic, as well as the funeral scene immediately afterwards. It's a bit of a case of six of one, half a dozen of the other.

I agree on the matter of HTTYD 2's subplots.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.