Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Golden Globe goes to How To Train Your Dragon 2
Topic Started: 14 Jan 2015, 19:43 (10981 Views)
Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Quote:

I'm not saying it wasn't a good movie, but your basically stating that it was flawless...( that being said I don't believe any movie is flawless...)
Actually, I'm just saying that the total number of flaws I can find is one (in short: Emmet can move in the human world, so his adventures are clearly not just in the boy Finn's imagination, so how the hell do their two worlds interact?). There are probably more flaws, but I didn't find them, and this is me, so you know it wasn't for want of trying.

On the other hand, I can find loads of flaws in HTTYD 2, flaws that I've mentioned in other topics. But to pick one example, why the hell doesn't Drago just kill all of the good guys once he's gained control of the dragons? He's clearly been established as he sort of guy who kills people just for not submitting to his rule, and we're supposed to believe that he's let people who actively oppose him, including a traitor (Eret) go? Heck, he was entirely willing to kill Hiccup before Stoick leapt in the way of the shot, so why the sudden change? How dumb does DeBlois think the audience is, anyway?

That's just one flaw. I can go through many more if you want but hopefully, this is enough to show you that HTTYD 2 is a very, very flawed movie. Films that flawed shouldn't be winning awards, outside of awards for specific aspects, especially when there's an eligible film that isn't nearly as flawed.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Hope_and_Heir

[color=#B40431]Winner of Shnuckle's Oneshot Fanfiction Contest 2014
[/color]

I said Httyd 2 had flaws. I never denied that.

All I'm saying is the Golden globes and all the other award shows aren't really the decision makers of what movie is better... It's their opinion. Just as your opinion is that the Lego movie is better. I just don't see how someone saying something is better than something else, is a reason to get upset. We all like different things.
'There Were Dragons When I Was A Boy…'

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Quote:

All I'm saying is the Golden globes and all the other award shows aren't really the decision makers of what movie is better... It's their opinion.
There are certain objective measures of quality. Things like the plot not making sense, characters acting out of character or just in a way that no human being would act, etc. are all giant red flags in the quality department (I'm dealing with writing issues here because that's the main difference in quality between HTTYD 2 and The Lego Movie - obviously, other aspects would have their own considerations). If you're going to be having an awards show that you're trying to get taken seriously, then those are the sorts of things you need to be looking at, not something as vague and meaningless as which film you happened to like more on the day you cast your vote.

Heck, there are days when I like HTTYD 2 more than The Lego Movie, but I still wouldn't think that the former was a better film than the latter, because I have the ability to at least try to think objectively about these things.

Oh, and are you going to go tell all those people who are happy about HTTYD 2's victory that the thing is completely meaningless?
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

Berserk Shieldmaiden
Superior Warriorness

Okay, why don't you just go to a Lego Movie forum and discuss how much better it was and how you feel the GG's snubbed it there.

Hope_and_Heir

[/color]

No actually. Because I never said anyone's opinion was stupid. I just think it's an odd argument and I'm leaving it at that because it doesn't really matter.

Eclipse-Wolven
Ninja Dragon

I'm kinda of the opinion that either "Lego Movie", "HTTYD 2" or "Big Hero 6" could all win and I wouldn't be bothered by it. All of them had flaws and all of them were on the same quality level as far as I'm concerned.

This whole argument is kind of pointless either way because the whole thing is completely subjective. When the movies in question are this close in quality (and they are - critic and fan reviews of all 3 were within 10 percentage points of each other) then the movie each person chooses as being "the best" is going to be the one they got the most out of. Some of you clearly had a better experience with "HTTYD 2". Others obviously thought "Lego Movie" was superior. There's no way to conclusively prove which one was the best movie because each one is going to hit different people in different ways. Yeah, there are some categories that are easier to prove (originality for one), but there's not enough of them to say that one film as a whole is superior to the others for anyone but yourself.
-Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup-

Hope_and_Heir

[/color]

Eclipse-Wolven
15 Jan 2015, 01:33
I'm kinda of the opinion that either "Lego Movie", "HTTYD 2" or "Big Hero 6" could all win and I wouldn't be bothered by it. All of them had flaws and all of them were on the same quality level as far as I'm concerned.

This whole argument is kind of pointless either way because the whole thing is completely subjective. When the movies in question are this close in quality (and they are - critic and fan reviews of all 3 were within 10 percentage points of each other) then the movie each person chooses as being "the best" is going to be the one they got the most out of. Some of you clearly had a better experience with "HTTYD 2". Others obviously thought "Lego Movie" was superior. There's no way to conclusively prove which one was the best movie because each one is going to hit different people in different ways. Yeah, there are some categories that are easier to prove (originality for one), but there's not enough of them to say that one film as a whole is superior to the others for anyone but yourself.
Exactly.

Neilandio
Dragon trainer

Cartoon Freak
15 Jan 2015, 00:12
Quote:

All I'm saying is the Golden globes and all the other award shows aren't really the decision makers of what movie is better... It's their opinion.
There are certain objective measures of quality. Things like the plot not making sense, characters acting out of character or just in a way that no human being would act, etc. are all giant red flags in the quality department (I'm dealing with writing issues here because that's the main difference in quality between HTTYD 2 and The Lego Movie - obviously, other aspects would have their own considerations). If you're going to be having an awards show that you're trying to get taken seriously, then those are the sorts of things you need to be looking at, not something as vague and meaningless as which film you happened to like more on the day you cast your vote.
None of those things can be judged objectively. There are aspects of the plot of movies that may not make much sense but that can be accepted for the plot to develop (look at every time traveler movie for example). To what degree that is accepted depends entirely on the judge. In a similar manner it depends on the judge to determine when a character is acting out of character, which also implies that the judge is the person that determines the personality of each character and which actions this person would take. I think it is pointless to say that if determining these aspects of a movie depends entirely on the person criticizing it, it cannot be dubbed an objective critic.
My dragon den:

chupacabra
Member Avatar
Hatchling

Here's a set of criteria used in judging movies.
https://www.americanmovieawards.com/ent ... iteria-sub

Why don't we try talking about movies using those criteria so we all have the same reference point?

Spoiler: click to toggle

DarthBacon
Gronckle

Yep. This is not a HTTYD 2 vs Lego movie forum. We are all glad it did win. If you didnt like it, its okay. You just dont have to keep saying HTTYD 2 is a bad movie every single chance you get.