Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Golden Globe goes to How To Train Your Dragon 2
Topic Started: 14 Jan 2015, 08:51 (10993 Views)
Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Quote:

A certain criteria isn't needed, people just like what they like and dont what they dont.
A major entertainment award should at least try to have a more rigorous set of criteria than "I liked it." I liked Transformers: Age of Extinction, but I sure as hell wouldn't vote for it for any award (outside of technical categories).
Quote:

I dont think Frozen deserves the title of best animated movie of all time. No criteria, no justifications, I just didn't see what was so great about it. My opinion is not the popular one but hey.....
Do many adults actually think that Frozen is the greatest animated movie of all time? Sure, a lot of people love it, but that's a very different thing.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

DarthBacon
Gronckle

You want a justification? I don't know, maybe they could actually relate to the protagonist?

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Since when was Emmet unrelatable? He's the Everyman (yes, according to my iPad's autocorrect, that is a proper noun, and I can't make it not a proper noun), the guy without any exceptional talent or intellect, the guy who doesn't have the magic combination of chief and dragon mistress DNA to make him awesome. He's the guy who vanishes in a crowd because the world thinks he's unimportant. In short, he's the guy most of us actually are, and through his journey, shows what we could become.

Alternatively, the protagonist of The Lego Movie is a kid who plays with toys, who really just wants the respect and love of his stern but (in his eyes) brilliant father. Another very relatable character.

Now, Hiccup is certainly relatable as well, but the fact of the matter is that he was way more relatable in the first movie, when he was a screwup. We've all been there. Most of us haven't been the undisputed, supremely talented heroes of our communities, destined for a privileged position because we were born into the right family.

Now, this isn't a problem with the movie as such, for two reasons. First, they obviously had to follow on from the first film. Second, empathy is a thing. In the end, however, if you're going to talk about relatable protagonists, then The Lego Movie has HTTYD 2 beat.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

DarthBacon
Gronckle

Well, I'm honestly getting tired of this. I assume we are all on this forum because we love this franchise. So is it asking too much to just be glad that this franchise is finally getting what it deserved way back in 2010?
I'm not disrespecting your opinion or anything like that.

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Quote:

Well, I'm honestly getting tired of this. I assume we are all on this forum because we love this franchise. So is it asking too much to just be glad that this franchise is finally getting what it deserved way back in 2010?
A franchise only deserves awards that are given to franchises as a whole. To the best of my knowledge, there are no such awards. Instead, we have awards for individual films, seasons of TV series, etc.

Now, as things stand, the original HTTYD was unlucky, in that it came out in the same year as Toy Story 3, one of only two animated films from the last decade (the other being WALL-E) that could be argued to be legitimately better than HTTYD (note: I consider HTTYD to be, for all intents and purposes, equal to Toy Story 3 in quality; I have no objection to the Academy's decision there, but would only have had a minor objection - namely, TS3's Best Picture nomination - if it had gone the other way).

Now, even if you think HTTYD was robbed of an Oscar, that has no bearing whatsoever on the sequel. HTTYD 2 is it's own film, and should be treated as such for the purposes of any awards. If it was legitimately the best animated film of 2014, then I would have no objection whatsoever to it winning awards. In the end, however, it's just much too flawed to stand up against the considerably better-executed story of The Lego Movie.

Berserk Shieldmaiden
Superior Warriorness

DarthBacon
14 Jan 2015, 16:45

I agree. Lets just be happy that HTTYD2 got a victory. I'll be hoping for an Oscar too.

The Golden Globes just wasn't Lego Movie's night to shine. Maybe they'll have better luck in the Oscars and then again maybe they wont.

Anyways, The GG's and Oscars are just award shows, nothing more. They don't change how the fans feel about these movies. Many of us are happy for HTTYD2.
But if you think Lego, Big Hero 6 or even Box Trolls were better movies then that's fine. Keep enjoying the movies you like and don't worry about who won and who lost at an awards show.

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Quote:

Anyways, The GG's and Oscars are just award shows, nothing more. They don't change how the fans feel about these movies. Many of us are happy for HTTYD2.
But if you think Lego, Big Hero 6 or even Box Trolls were better movies then that's fine. Keep enjoying the movies you like and don't worry about who won and who lost at an awards show.
So, an award show is not important enough to register any reaction if the result doesn't go the way you thought it should, but it is important enough to make you happy when the result does go the way you thought it should? That doesn't make the slightest lick of sense. Either the award is important or it isn't.

Hope_and_Heir

[color=#B40431]Winner of Shnuckle's Oneshot Fanfiction Contest 2014
[/color]

Httyd2 and Lego movie were both great movies in their own special way. They both had their faults and they both had their good moments. Both films aren't flawless.
'There Were Dragons When I Was A Boy…'

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Out of curiosity, name one fault with The Lego Movie. Not just a bit that wasn't great, but a bit that was actually bad. I can find one. One. And this is me. Finding faults is something I'm rather good at, with no false modesty on my part. Indeed, I can find quite a few for HTTYD 2, as anyone who's read my comments in other topics is likely to know.

Hope_and_Heir

[color=#B40431]Winner of Shnuckle's Oneshot Fanfiction Contest 2014
[/color]

I've only seen the Lego movie once and I don't remember half of it. I'm not saying it wasn't a good movie, but your basically stating that it was flawless...( that being said I don't believe any movie is flawless...) It made me laugh but it isn't a movie that I would watch over and over. And if you would then that's perfectly fine. You just liked it more than me. Obviously I like Httyd 2 more than you do. So what. I wouldn't be mad if Lego movie won over Httyd 2, it's just what won. To be honest it doesn't much matter. I don't see why people get upset if something didn't win. Httyd included. If you think it's the best movie, then to you it's the best movie.

'There Were Dragons When I Was A Boy…'