Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
When did Stoick actually get married?
Topic Started: 16 Jan 2015, 00:24 (4401 Views)
chupacabra
Member Avatar
Hatchling

Hope_and_Heir
16 Jan 2015, 04:10
Where did you guys get the fact that Valka was younger than Stoick by 10 years? Just curious cause I want to know what I missed.
If I remember correctly, I think the howtotrainyourdragon.com website stated that Stoick was 50 and Valka's age came from the art book.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Hope_and_Heir

[color=#B40431]Winner of Shnuckle's Oneshot Fanfiction Contest 2014
[/color]

chupacabra
16 Jan 2015, 04:24
Hope_and_Heir
Where did you guys get the fact that Valka was younger than Stoick by 10 years? Just curious cause I want to know what I missed.
If I remember correctly, I think the howtotrainyourdragon.com website stated that Stoick was 50 and Valka's age came from the art book.
edit: that explains Valka's age since I don't have the art book.

I checked the website a long time ago and it said forty... I'm really confused that it says 50 now... Or maybe I'm delusional. Oh well
'There Were Dragons When I Was A Boy…'

KentuckyWildcat
Raw Vikingness

Hope_and_Heir
Originally, the "Viking Guide" section of the official HTTYD website listed an age on every character's profile. Stoick was listed as being 50 and Valka 40.

Interestingly enough, I just went there now to see if that info was still there and every one of the good characters except Valka still has a specific age mentioned in their profile. That looks suspiciously like Dreamworks may have become aware of this little controversy at one point or another and tried to cover themselves.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.

Hope_and_Heir

[/color]

KentuckyWildcat
16 Jan 2015, 04:29
Hope_and_Heir
Originally, the "Viking Guide" section of the official HTTYD website listed an age on every character's profile. Stoick was listed as being 50 and Valka 40.

Interestingly enough, I just went there now to see if that info was still there and every one of the good characters except Valka still has a specific age mentioned in their profile. That looks suspiciously like Dreamworks may have become aware of this little controversy at one point or another and tried to cover themselves.
I've never seen her age on the website. I've always thought it was 'unknown' there

chupacabra
Member Avatar
Hatchling

KentuckyWildcat
Hope_and_Heir

According to this blogger, Valka's age had been confirmed on the official website.

Hope_and_Heir

[/color]

chupacabra
16 Jan 2015, 04:53
KentuckyWildcat
Hope_and_Heir

According to this blogger, Valka's age had been confirmed on the official website.
I wish they didn't keep changing the website.

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Quote:

1. Yes, societies do change, but I wouldn't say the fact that forced marriages don't exist in the movies means nothing to the hypothetical near-past either. Stoick would have been the chief during most if not all of that time, and he's not exactly a progressive when we're first introduced to him. His resistance to change is even a fairly notable plot point in the movies. For that matter the majority of the village doesn't seem any less conservative initially. So while it's not impossible for a custom like that to have been thrown off in the 30 years or so immediately preceding the first movie, I'd consider it highly unlikely.
Stoick is certainly conservative, but it's mostly in regards to one particular thing: dragons. Pretty much everything else stems from that. Heck, one could even make the argument that Stoick having to deal with Valka's pro-dragon ways actually provided a good argument against marrying children. Once a person is an adult, you tend to know the gist of where they stand, but when they're a child, there's still a lot of ways they can change. Or heck, maybe he just didn't want anyone else to be forced into marrying a dragon-lover.

In the end, however, it's a bit of a moot point why Berk's stance on marriage changed, since the evidence suggests that it did. I suppose it could make for an interesting discussion, but we kind of need to agree that it happened first.
Quote:

3. This actually poses a fascinating question that I'll have to think about for awhile. Can something in a fictional universe be unintentionally canon? Especially if the basis for it is a throwaway line in a spin-off written by people who have nothing to do with the main component of the franchise? Even if the event in question involves a character that those spin-off writers didn't even know the details of when they wrote said throwaway line?
If you want a more academic look at this idea, look up the paper "Death of the Author". I haven't read it myself, largely because the idea seems self-evident from reading Fred Clark's critiques of the Left Behind series (among other criticisms, Mr Clark often points out how loathsome the supposed heroes of the books really are).

In regards to the factor of multiple creative forces, that can create issues when there are actual contradictions. For better or for worse, however, there is no contradiction here. Outside of this one line in the series, I am not aware of any official material that states when Stoick and Valka got married. If such material does exist, then we have a more complicated situation. As things stand, however, we simply have an unfortunate piece of canon. It's not like this is even inherently the most morally questionable thing done by a 'good' character in this franchise that receives no negative repercussions whatsoever. Note, for instance, that there's no evidence to suggest that Stoick had sex with Valka before she was what we would consider to be an adult (indeed, given that they only had one child, and that was when Valka was about thirty by this logic, they probably weren't very sexually active at all).
Quote:

Pretty sure... Even in Viking-land... The leaders would not marry off a girl who has not 'developed' yet (unless she was an early bloomer). I mean it is possible. But... She would only be around 10-13 years older than Hiccup then.
It is biologically possible for some girls to have a child when in their tweens, so there's no contradiction here. Therefore, since the series stands as canon to the movies except in the case of a contradiction, it's still canon that Valka got married as a child, in spite of how unpleasant that situation seems to us. There's just one slight problem...
Quote:

Oh, come on, Dreamworks, don't do that. Just let us have something interesting about Stoick and Valka's relationship. It's not like it's ever going to come up, since Stoick's dead and all. I just want to have something to chuckle about if I ever have to watch a Valka scene again (unlikely, but it could happen).

Please tell me someone has a screencap of when the site listed Valka's age. Alternatively, is it listed in the artbook? Because if so, I will buy a copy of the artbook, just to have some hard evidence of this little fact. Well, unless Dreamworks actually retcon it, though given that they could easily have just changed Valka's age on the website to be equal to Stoick's, there must be some reason they haven't done it.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

Berknation

[color=red]
[b]Titan Wing
[/b]
[/color]

No you don't have to quote the episode just say which one XD

Based on the ten year age difference, they could have totally been married when Valka was 13 or 14.

DuckDuckDoose
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

Sigh... -_-

Cassy2277
Hatchling

KentuckyWildcat
If its really true that Valka is 40 then she couldn't have gotten married at age 10. She would have been 20 when she left, (She does look around that age in the flashback), and she had to be married for some years. She probably was 13 -15 when she had gotten married, that was a normal age to get married at back in the day.