Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
When did Stoick actually get married?
Topic Started: 19 Jan 2015, 04:51 (4397 Views)
HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

The TV show is NOT canon. Only the movies and certain shorts.

And Valka and Stoick married nearer to she she was 18 to 20 I would think.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Quote:

The TV show is NOT canon. Only the movies and certain shorts.
Why on earth wouldn't the TV show be canon? It's official material, and fits in well enough, except for a few instances.

Now, it is true that there are a few contradictions between the movies and TV shows. This can be put down to either poor writing or miscommunication between the relevant parties. In such instances, it is perfectly sensible to go with the movies over the TV series. However, that doesn't make the TV show as a whole non-canon.

Hypothetically, if there was a contradiction between HTTYD and HTTYD 2 (or, if you prefer, HTTYD 3 and one of the first two films), would that make one of them non-canon entirely? No, it would be miscellaneous poor writing, or a straight-out retcon. Either way, you reconcile the two as best as you can.

Likewise, the TV series should be taken as canon, except in the instance where there is an actual contradiction. We don't just get to decide what is and isn't canon on a whim. If we did, then I would just declare Valka to be non-canon.
Quote:

If its really true that Valka is 40 then she couldn't have gotten married at age 10. She would have been 20 when she left, (She does look around that age in the flashback), and she had to be married for some years. She probably was 13 -15 when she had gotten married, that was a normal age to get married at back in the day.
I'm sorry, but I can't follow your argument. Assuming that she had to have been married for, say, five years before getting kidnapped, why couldn't she have been married for ten? Either way, we have a period of time that is not essential before Hiccup is born (note that while that gap of several years is not essential, it would fit rather well into the story - with Hiccup being premature, it's entirely feasible that Valka had some miscarriages and/or stillborn children before him); adding a few more years certainly doesn't create any contradictions.

All things considered, the only thing causing problems at the moment is the website not giving Valka's age (but again, why not just change it to be the same as Stoick's?), which is why I'm hoping that someone has either a screenshot or another source.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

Pakba
Member Avatar
Terrible Terror

Maybe someone posted a screenshot in the disqus comments a few months back?