Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Do you have a record player?
No, I don't have a record player 11 (52%)
I have a record player, but don't have the vinyl soundtrack 8 (38%)
I have a record player, and also have the standard (black) edition soundtrack 0 (0%)
I have a record player, and also have the limited (coloured) edition soundtrack 2 (10%)

Vinyl Soundtrack
Topic Started: 10 Feb 2015, 19:12 (6806 Views)
hictooth
Archivist of Berk

Hi everyone!
I didn't see a topic about this already, so I thought that I would start one!

It was my birthday today, and this year I decided to ask for something dragon related. And here it is...

Yes, I am now the proud owner of the limited edition coloured (or colored if you don't live in the UK :P ) vinyl soundtrack for How to Train Your Dragon 2. If you are lucky enough to have a record player, then I would strongly suggest getting the vinyl soundtrack. Not only is it nice to have music on a physical object, but it also is extremely cool to have coloured vinyl. Plus it has wonderful album art.

And if you don't have a record player, then my advice would be to get one. They are a really cool gadget (in my opinion) and don't cost too much for older ones (like mine, which was £0.50/0.76USD :O ).

For those who don't know, the soundtrack was/is released on vinyl in two different versions. The first 1000 pressings/copies were made on red and yellow vinyl, and all pressings after that are made in standard black vinyl. The first 1000 also have a number on the back of the cover saying what pressing number that copy was. My one is 926.

As these have been around for a few months now, the limited editions are becoming harder to find. For anyone else who is thinking of getting one, What Records (in the UK) still have limited editions left (http://www.whatrecords.co.uk/items/62324.htm ), but every other music company I emailed does not. Although, I only emailed UK companies, so you may have more luck wherever you live.

I've put a pole up asking how many other people have a record player, and would be pleased if you could fill it out. Also, who else here has the soundtrack on vinyl? Do you have the limited edition one, and if so, what pressing number is yours? Leave a reply below!

hictooth
Astrid - "Hictooth"?
Hiccup - Yeah, it's not my snappiest comeback.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

NightoftheFury
Shhh...Toothless is watching

I've got a record player but it's for the older 78s. Got a few 33.3 records from one of my teachers so I've been meaning to get a more modern one. Now with the HTTYD2 soundtrack out on vinyl I think I might just cave :D

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Does vinyl actually give appreciably better sound quality compared to CDs (my standard choice for soundtracks, since I like having something tangible)? If so, I might actually consider getting a record player and the soundtrack on vinyl, but I find it hard to believe that it's that much better.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

hictooth
Archivist of Berk

NightoftheFury

I think I might just cave
I would (well, I suppose I already did :) ) I just love getting the limited edition stuff, and I also love older technology, so it was a win-win for me.
Cartoon Freak

I find it hard to believe that it's that much better
For me, probably not (especially on a £0.50 record player from a jumble sale). However, vinyl does have a reputation for producing richer tones, and I can confirm that these seem to be of quite high-quality (but then again, I'm no audio-buff). And as I don't have the soundtrack on CD I can't really do a test (I doubt YouTube would be up to CD quality).
I do know however, that my record player does give a richer sound overall (when use the built in FM tuner and cassette) than my CD player, so I prefer to use it to listen to music.

Oh, and can the person who also said in the poll that they had the limited edition vinyl let me know what number their's is?

hictooth
Astrid - "Hictooth"?

nightfury123
My auntie's dog might die...
:'(

What does the album art look like? ^) :)
"A warning to the people, the good and the evil. This is war..."

hictooth
Archivist of Berk

Sorry for the late reply, currently on half-term holiday with limited wifi access! As such I am not able to re-size the images, so I will apologise in advance for the increased loading times! I also apologise for not being able to rotate the last two images.

Anyway, here are the pictures of the album.

Front:

Back:

Inside:

Insert Side 1:

Insert Side 2:

Label:

All Together:

You certianly don't get all that with a digital download (or even a CD!)

hictooth
Astrid - "Hictooth"?

NightoftheFury
Shhh...Toothless is watching

Wow. The cover alone makes its worth it.

hictooth
Archivist of Berk

NightoftheFury

The cover alone makes its worth it.
I know, right? It's like having a poster!

If anyone reading this could go to http://www.musiconvinyl.com/request-release and request the soundtrack for the orginal How to Train Your Dragon (2010) soundtrack, I for one would be grateful.
The more people that do it = the better the chance that it gets released.

hictooth
Astrid - "Hictooth"?

nightfury123
My auntie's dog might die...
:'(

hictooth
20 Feb 2015, 14:06
If anyone reading this could go to http://www.musiconvinyl.com/request-release and request the soundtrack for the orginal How to Train Your Dragon (2010) soundtrack, I for one would be grateful.
The more people that do it = the better the chance that it gets released.

hictooth
I don't have a record player, but I did it anyway. :P Just for the people that do. xD
"A warning to the people, the good and the evil. This is war..."

Night Fury
Member Avatar
Terrible Terror

I wouldn't mind owning this, but the currency exchange and shipping is brutal. £18.99 doesn't sound bad until you do the math... when you add on shipping (£12.50) it comes to over $60 Canadian. :O

For reference, a normal record is usually around $20-$25 in stores.

The only other place I've found it is Amazon.ca for $33.47 + $3.49 shipping, but I think that's the regular version, not the LE.

Well, I might just have to settle for that.