Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
How to Train Your Dragon 2 Oscar Results!
Topic Started: 23 Feb 2015, 22:18 (9902 Views)
DarthBacon
Gronckle

http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-season ... 09456.html

Just read this guys. Further proof that the voters are a bunch of jokers who have no idea what they're doing. Please don't mind the language in it.

PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

I don't know offhand how many people vote in the Oscars, but I'm going to take a punt and say that seven people is way too small to be a statistically significant sample. With tiny sample sizes like that, you can "prove" pretty much anything.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

KentuckyWildcat
Raw Vikingness

Maybe it just goes to show that I really don't care about award shows, but I was actually expecting a lot worse in that link. Other than voter #5 whose voting approach was ill-informed and just generally insulting to the nominees, I didn't see a huge problem there myself. The others either had a decent reason for voting the way they did or abstained.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

Word of advice: the rewards thing is absolute bullc***.

I don't take it seriously and I wasn't expecting HTTYD2 to get anything since a Disney movie came 9th this year. It's expected. No one in the movie industry takes Animation seriously.

Berserk Shieldmaiden
Superior Warriorness

I haven't seen Big Hero 6 so I cant make a fair judgement of the movie but I haven't been very impressed with Disney lately (the Avengers franchise excluded)

I do think that the Disney label gives animated movies the advantage though.

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Berserk Shieldmaiden
25 Feb 2015, 00:33
I haven't seen Big Hero 6 so I cant make a fair judgement of the movie but I haven't been very impressed with Disney lately (the Avengers franchise excluded)
If you like the Marvel Cinematic Universe, then you'll probably like Big Hero 6, since it really plays out like a child-friendly Marvel movie (which makes sense, since it is based on a Marvel comic, even though the film is not part of the MCU).
Spoiler: click to toggle
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

ToothlessWorship
Gronckle

I don't care about the Academy. They didn't give any Oscar to Stanley Kubrick, one of the best director in the XX century. That was probably because Stanley hated all glammour and sh**s from Hollywood.

Even they just give a Special Effects award to Interstellar, which deserved to win BSO Oscar too.

No reallyy huge surprise that BH6 won. Disney have a lot of friends at the Academy.

I can give an example, about Gravity's Oscars. It won like 7 OSCARS WTF, it was a regular movie with good photo, but nothing more.
HTTYD forever
Spoiler: click to toggle

Night fury fire

[b]
[color=blue]We're fangirls! It's an occupational hazard...
[/color]
[/b]

big hero 6 was good. But let's be honest, it only won because it was a Disney film :(
^_^ ;) :D :$ :P 8) :'( :( ^) :O :blink: >:( <3 <- me seeing httyd 2

AandHfan110
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

DarthBacon
24 Feb 2015, 02:18
http://www.cartoonbrew.com/award-season ... 09456.html

Just read this guys. Further proof that the voters are a bunch of jokers who have no idea what they're doing. Please don't mind the language in it.
A little over a year after HTTYD2 got robbed of the oscar it deserved more than the film that won, I still have not gotten over it and I am in the opinion that the academy does not care about animation. I read those brutally honest oscar ballots particullary the best animated film secction and was appalled at the four voters who chose BH6. One of them illegally voted in the category without having watched all the animated films, in particular the explicitly stated that they did not watch HTTYD2. The two of the other three who voted for BH6 gave reasons that included using their kids as a basis for choosing that movie. Lastly, number five had no decency and a lack of respect for animation. In my book and the academy's bylaws those votes should have been disqualified. Using the trends stated above from those four voters, it seems to me that many other voters were probably like those four. Another thing of note is that the one person from the animation wing whose ballot was posted anonymously picked HTTYD2 and the reasons that person gave were actually legitamite, unlike the four who chose BH6. Using that info I can say with confidence was that had voting been limited to the Animation wing for that category than HTTYD2 would have won the oscar. The people on the animation wing are the only ones who care about animation. The others seem not to care and chose their favorite animated film and not the best animated film. The Oscars mean nothing to me when you see that those who chose might not care and do not follow the Academy's rules for voting for a category. Until that is fixed, I will no longer think of the Oscars as the biggest award. To me the Annie's and Golden Globe voters were among the few award shows who got it right last year for what film was the best animated film. So for this diservice to animated film here is a tag I thought of. #OscarssoDisney. This to me would be a good tag to describe the bias the voters have and how their method of choosing the "best" animated film is completely messed up minus the voters from the animation wing who actually care about animation. Also the messed up voting applies to the BAFTAs as well including the voters from their animation wing. So both major academies are idiots and so their choices for "best" animated film last year were both wrong. Sorry for this long rant but as you can see I am still very angry over the result from last year's oscars, as well as angry over the idiot Bafta voters for not nominating HTTYD2, instead giving the inferior The Boxtrolls film the nomination that should have been HTTYD2's. End of rant.

Toothless the nightfury
Deadly Nadder

well all i can say is if something similar happens again and there is suspected illegal voting going on we should make as much noise as possible those that run these award ceremonies dont like that sort of stuff and i should think a proper investigation of sorts would be carried out