Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
How to Train Your Dragon 2 Oscar Results!
Topic Started: 23 Feb 2015, 02:35 (9896 Views)
WasBornCrazy
i dont think my avatar is working but ehh

Like I have said many times before, I wouldn't have minded if any of them won. They were all great movies. although i personally think the boxtrolls wasn't that great

HTTYD has gotten, what, 8 awards? Whatever people.

i'm not very active anymore!! it's sad, but i'll come back sometimes to feel nostalgic ahaha
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

NightoftheFury
Shhh...Toothless is watching

The way I see it the academy in no way represents the opinions of everyone. HTTYD 2 would have gotten my vote, but today it seems they liked BH6 better. ^)

hcsp1
My only master is the free wind

Yeah the more I think about it, the more I realize it doesn't really matter.

Both won prizes and both are great movies at the end of the day.

But, let us pray that HTTYD 3 will get the Oscar in 2019!

BirdyTheBrave
I like big books and I cannot lie.

This series is slowly becoming the Leonardo DiCaprio of the animation world.
Update guys: It's party time with Joe.

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

In all honesty, this is the best thing that could happen for the franchise from this year's Oscars. Big Hero 6 is, for all intents and purposes, equal to HTTYD 2 in terms of quality. It really comes down to making a judgement call between a film with better moments (HTTYD 2) and a film with less flaws (Big Hero 6). It's not a call I'd like to make, so from that perspective, I would have had no issue with either of those films winning.

Where the loss becomes beneficial, however, is in how it applies to the third film. Losing can be a powerful motivator to improve, especially if you only have one more shot at the prize. In this case, if DeBlois wants that Oscar (and really, who wouldn't, at least when they actually have a reasonable chance to win one?), then you can bet he's going to want to work that bit harder to make the film as good as he can be. In particular, he'll probably go over the story with a fine-tooth comb, getting rid of flaws along the lines of the ones that were in HTTYD 2, which presumably cost the film the Oscar.

Overall, this result has definitely raised my hopes for HTTYD 3 a notch. At this point, I think Dreamworks still have to sell me on it if they want me to watch it, but it's a far easier sell than it would have been if HTTYD 2 had won the Oscar.
Quote:

At least Boxtrolls didn't win.
I think we can all agree that this is the most important thing.
Quote:

This series is slowly becoming the Leonardo DiCaprio of the animation world.
That would explain the number of fangirls.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

The Norse Nerd
-This is Borghild-

I'm happy for bh6 it was a good movie, but it still kinda would have been nice if httyd2 won as well.

I don't ship Hiccstrid, deal with it (◡‿◡✿)

~Slytherin~

-Cancer Sun-
-Aries Moon-
-Virgo Ascendant-

Borghild Dragon Riders

Youtube Channel

HTTYD PT
Gronckle

WHAT THE FUCK WAS THAT BIG HEROS 6 WINS
OSCAR YOU SUCK

Berserk Shieldmaiden
Superior Warriorness

Who cares what the academy thinks? Let them go on having their little love affair with Disney.

We here at the Grapevine can just ignore the academy's decision and celebrate HTTYD2 as the best of 2014. No Oscar statue required. ^_^

MissunyNightFury
Escaped from an asylem

KentuckyWildcat
23 Feb 2015, 06:20
I admittedly haven't seen Big Hero 6 to have a true opinion on whether it was a worthy winner or not although judging by the reviews I certainly don't think it seems outrageous.

I do have to say though, that the accusations that the award is biased towards Disney are more emotional reactions to HTTYD 2 not winning than anything grounded in reality. It is true that Disney (or more accurately Pixar) has won Best Animated Feature more often than not since the award's inception, but if you look at the actual films that won, it's hard to find many that probably shouldn't have. You have some of Pixar's finest moments (Finding Nemo, The Incredibles, Ratatouille, WALL-E, Up, Toy Story 3) and Frozen with the only somewhat questionable winner being Brave in 2012. I know this board as a whole doesn't have the most favorable view of Disney, but objectively that's a pretty impressive collection of films. Even if you disagree with this year's decision, claiming a conspiracy just isn't a very tenable position.
:eret:

I agree with you. People who hate Disney seem to always claim it's unfair, no matter what movie it is.
"There's something you must remember when riding a dragon. There's no manual, no safety harness, no guarantees when you're on one of these beasts. All you have is the wind in your hair, and the clothes on your back. The only thing between you and that dragon is your saddle. You need to hold onto it for dear life, as that creature takes you the skies. That, is dragon riding."

MissunyNightFury
Escaped from an asylem

:eret:

It's a shame that Dragons 2 didn't win, but you know what, it's still a great movie. It still got an award.
(I'm happy that BH6 won, I enjoyed that movie.:))
"There's something you must remember when riding a dragon. There's no manual, no safety harness, no guarantees when you're on one of these beasts. All you have is the wind in your hair, and the clothes on your back. The only thing between you and that dragon is your saddle. You need to hold onto it for dear life, as that creature takes you the skies. That, is dragon riding."