Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
cloudjumper/toothless
Topic Started: 11 May 2015, 10:57 (6864 Views)
Toothless123
Night Fury

Cartoon Freak
11 May 2015, 14:51
Quote:

Well, maybe when Toothless crashed when Hiccup shot him down it damaged him mentally as well as physically. Something could have happened in his brain that caused him to forget his instincts.
No. Just no. The word "no" does not adequately convey the sheer no-ness I'm thinking right now.

There is absolutely no evidence to suggest that Toothless has any sort of mental damage. By all evidence, he is among the most intelligent dragons (with his only rivals being Cloudumper, and possibly the Red Death and the Bewilderbeasts), so this doesn't even begin to make sense.
Quote:

Toothless could've spent so much time with Hiccup that he thinks he's a human (it happened with Valka, only vice versa; and she was the one who modified him XD so maybe she could have know this).
Um, Valka doesn't think she's a dragon. If she did, she'd actually be a halfway interesting character, and wouldn't speak perfectly-enunciated English (what DeBlois was thinking when casting Blanchett in this role, I have no idea - terrible, terrible miscasting). There's a reason I brought up the Timothy Treadwell comparison, because she really is more like him, that is, a person so desperately trying to be an animal, and just revealing the sheer ridiculousness of their enterprise. Sadly, unlike Treadwell, Valka hasn't been eaten.

Getting things back on topic, Toothless was around for about a dozen years before he even met Hiccup. That's twice as long as they've known each other, covering their formative years. It's complete nonsense to suppose that Toothless thinks he's a human. He's way past the point of imprinting. Sure, he's picked up a few human mannerisms, but that's completely different from forgetting how to perform a basic conscious bodily action. Heck, both Gift of the Night Fury and HTTYD 2 show that he still knows how to fly by himself, even though he's largely incapable of physically doing it.
Quote:

And maybe he thinks Hiccup or other humans can do everything for him. Hiccup was able to make him fly again, so I think it's possible that he's just become reliant.
You know, that might almost work, if it wasn't for the fact that there are loads of examples in the films, shorts and TV series of Toothless either taking the lead or outright fending for himself. He's not dependant on Hiccup for anything other than flight and the occasional Magic of Friendship speech.
You're right. ;) Another round won XD
But thank you for the debate anyway! :)
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

hcsp1
My only master is the free wind

Cartoon Freak
11 May 2015, 13:19
Quote:

I always thought that Toothless never really knew about that feature about himself until Valka activated it for the first time, based on the fact he's all happy and excited about this when he finds out. When he activates it by himself in the final fight, he probably tried to repeat the thing Valka made him go through in order for that to work. This is of course not official, that's just what I got from it.
That would be like me not knowing that my shoulder functions as a ball-and-socket joint rather than a hinge (okay, it would be reasonable enough for a person to not have suitable terminology for those things, but you get the idea). It's a basic function of my body that I consciously control - my basic instincts allow me to know how to do these things. I didn't need some Timothy Treadwell rip-off (well, sadly she wasn't ripping him off as much as I'd like, and I doubt she ever will) to show me how to perform basic, conscious bodily functions. Likewise, it doesn't make sense that Toothless needs some squishy human to show him something he should already know how to do from sheer instinct.
Good point...
Guess it's one of those things that weren't thought out all the way to the end.

Captain Simian
Member Avatar
Hatchling

Many animals raised in captivity lack the basic instinct to hunt for themselves, often times starving to death when released into the wild.

How old do dragons live? What are dragon years converted to human years? Even though Toothless is, by your count, 17, in dragon years he may very easily be 3.

His upgrade could be something that happens upon maturity that he would have eventually figured out himself or would have been shown by other nightfuries and Valka simply sped up the process.

athena2235
Member Avatar
Gronckle

hcsp1
11 May 2015, 15:04
Cartoon Freak
11 May 2015, 13:19
Quote:

I always thought that Toothless never really knew about that feature about himself until Valka activated it for the first time, based on the fact he's all happy and excited about this when he finds out. When he activates it by himself in the final fight, he probably tried to repeat the thing Valka made him go through in order for that to work. This is of course not official, that's just what I got from it.
That would be like me not knowing that my shoulder functions as a ball-and-socket joint rather than a hinge (okay, it would be reasonable enough for a person to not have suitable terminology for those things, but you get the idea). It's a basic function of my body that I consciously control - my basic instincts allow me to know how to do these things. I didn't need some Timothy Treadwell rip-off (well, sadly she wasn't ripping him off as much as I'd like, and I doubt she ever will) to show me how to perform basic, conscious bodily functions. Likewise, it doesn't make sense that Toothless needs some squishy human to show him something he should already know how to do from sheer instinct.
Good point...
Guess it's one of those things that weren't thought out all the way to the end.

I don't necessarily agree. For instance, it has been reported that some times feral children get around on 4 "legs" similar to animals vs on two legs like humans. It is pretty clear that, biologically, humans were meant to walk on 2 legs. And these feral children have the same equipment that everyone else has. However, without other humans to model what to do, they never realize the potential to walk on two legs.

If we make the assumption that toothless was on his own at a young age (which I feel there is a decent case for, since everybody talks about them no longer being around), it is possible he just never had the chance to see the split spines on other night furies. No modeling = Not knowing how to use the equipment he had, similar to the feral child and bi-pedal walking.

Or, as others have mentioned, the ability to do so may have only come with maturation, and Valka just showed him before he figured out himself.

athena2235
Member Avatar
Gronckle

I always viewed Cloudjumper/Toothless as more of a Village Elder type relationship. Did not really get a brother-sense from it, they just did not seem that close. More of cloudjumper saw himself as an "elder" dragon or second/third in command who was trying to get this new/young/upstart dragon in line with living in the Biwilderbeast community. He shows toothless how to get the baby dragons to leave him alone and show/reminds them to come bow to the Biwilderbeast. You could also postulate that he shows toothless around similar to how Valka shows Hiccup around--Where to go for food, the floating air vent, etc.