Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Toothless Plasma Blast Strength in Alpha Mode
Topic Started: 09 Jan 2016, 07:42 (6365 Views)
Evan Electric Eel III
Shadow Striker

If the extras that come with the movie are to be believed the Bewilderbeast weighs 999 tons. At one point the Bewilderbeast moves towards Toothless and is knocked backwards slightly backwards by a plasma blast. Assuming a conservative movement speed for the Bewilderbeast of 2 km/h how much force would the plasma blast have to be to knock back the Bewilderbeast?
(I hope someone can work this out to give us a comparative strength to forces in the real world.)
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Crystallion12
Dunno what to say here.....

Gods... :O I never thought of this... But lol I was imagining something very similar to it where Toothless is ABSOLUTELY wrecking the living day lights out of the Bewilderbeast... 8)
Save the Earth... It's the only planet with donuts!

May the stars watch over you, the dragons roar at the sound of your name, and peace, love and the truth enlighten your heart forever,
May you stay true to your soul, mind and heart. Your choices, opinions and life are solely your own, give only the ones you hold dear to your heart your heart, and all your word. Make the right choices, and tread carefully, and live your life to its very fullest,
Crystallion12.

Toothless the nightfury
Deadly Nadder

the berwilderbeast would have moved back more out of shock and pain/ natural reaction than the force of the blast if the force of the blast was enough to move the berwilderbeast back toothless would have had to have moved back too

newtons 3rd law :)

Demonwolf002
Lone Dragon

It's been awhile since I've messed with physics, but if I'm not mistaken you need

Force=mass*acceleration

The mass being 999 tons needs to be converted to kilograms which would be 906278

The acceleration needs to be converted to meter/second^2 which I think is 0.5

So times all that together and your force should be 453139 newtons. Which would be 101870 lbs and 51 tons respectively.

So if my math isn't off (Which I'm sure it is) and if I remember the idea properly Toothless's plasma blast would need to exert a force of 51 tons in order to stop the Bewilderbeast in it's tracks. Even if my math is wrong though, I would still agree with Toothless the nightfury above. The Bewilderbeast stopped more so from the shock and pain/natural reaction then actually being stopped by Toothless. With that said, to anyone who is actually decent at math/physics please feel free to chime in and let me know whether I'm wrong or not.
See you in the skies Dragon Rider!

The Dragon Root:Thing what I wrote.

Is Toothless Evil? :Me possibly being crazy, but fun.

The BerkCast The HTTYD podcast, you should listen.

Evan Electric Eel III
Shadow Striker

It seemed(to me at least) that it was a double motion. It appeared that the Bewilderbeast was knocked backwards and then reared up in pain.
Also the fact that the plasma blasts appear to be more purple suggests it is a hybrid of Toothless "normal" blue blasts and the red seen when going for the kill(Stoick in HTTYD1 and Alvin in Defiant One if i remember correctly.)
Or perhaps its yet another subtle nod to Star Wars:)

Zira Shadow
Skrill

Speaking of normal calculations, last night I figured out that if Toothless were to fly halfway across the world just above the speed of sound, (Which he can do-in RttE he does at the beginning)then it would take him roughly 1 hour. However, for some reason he gets from berk to Dragons edge in 54 hours :O :O
Sister in arms of the forgotten disaster branch, Saturn Starlings

Demonwolf002
Lone Dragon

Zira Shadow
27 Feb 2016, 17:01
Speaking of normal calculations, last night I figured out that if Toothless were to fly halfway across the world just above the speed of sound, (Which he can do-in RttE he does at the beginning)then it would take him roughly 1 hour. However, for some reason he gets from berk to Dragons edge in 54 hours :O :O
Care to share your calculations? I know I said I'm not the greatest at math, but I do enjoy reading and going through things like this it's always an interesting read. Even if it does prove how weird/off certain things are sometimes. :P Actually reminds me of this to http://levynearcherite.tumblr.com/post/ ... -top-speed fun read.
See you in the skies Dragon Rider!

The Dragon Root:Thing what I wrote.

Is Toothless Evil? :Me possibly being crazy, but fun.

The BerkCast The HTTYD podcast, you should listen.

EveryEmpireFalls
Hatchling

Zira Shadow
27 Feb 2016, 17:01
I believe that measurement is taken at 'cruising' speed for the group. Which is probably Meatlugs cruising speed, however fast that is. Basic formations would limit their formation speed to the slowest cruising speed. Otherwise how would Snotlout and Hookfang have made it to berk and back in time to save astrid in "Buffalord Soldier" (Season 3, episode 5 RTTE).

Toothless the nightfury
Deadly Nadder

i think i calculated once that meatlug has a cruising speed of 6mph based on that map

it should be somewhere on the forum