Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Hiccups shield in the tv shows
Topic Started: 09 Dec 2016, 10:06 (5775 Views)
Night_Stalker
Dragon Trainer class 5

As the topic says, i have noticed that they never mentioned his shield in the second mlvie and never showed why it wasnt in the TV show so I want to ask you guys, what do you think will happen to his sheild within the next two seasons of race to the edge. i know this is a major plot hole but i just got me thinking the other day.

OC: Oliver and Storm
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Demonwolf002
Lone Dragon

The reason the shield was never mentioned in the second movie was because by the time Defenders of Berk introduced us to the shield the second movie was already under production. It's not exactly easy or necessarily cheap to go back in to the movie to add it in.

Not just that though you're generally not going to have to many things from the shows bleed into the movies. The show can't introduce something and then the movies add it in and continue on with it like the audience should know what it is. It's generally bad design if your movie requires some form of previous knowledge before you even watch it.(Like playing a game, reading a book, or watching a show.) Now with this said since the shield is an item, if the movie hadn't have been some way into production. The movies creators probably could have added the shield in as a background item for observant fans.(nothing against doing this) Again though I'd say the reason this didn't happen comes down mostly to timing on the show and movies part.

The shield has appeared in RTTE already if I remember correctly in quite a few episodes. Now will the show go over what happens to it, I don't know. Personally I don't think it's all that major of a plot hole to deal with, but that's just my personal opinion. If the show did decide to address it my guess would be that he grows out of it, loses it, or decides it's less useful than Inferno and would get in the way of flying when he makes his new armor and all that.
See you in the skies Dragon Rider!

The Dragon Root:Thing what I wrote.

Is Toothless Evil? :Me possibly being crazy, but fun.

The BerkCast The HTTYD podcast, you should listen.

Tuffnut'sChicken
B-BAWK!

I just chalk it up to something like this:
Stoick: Son, don't you want to bring your shield when you go out?
Hiccup: Well... not really.
Stoick: Why not?
Hiccup: Astrid's gonna be there.
Stoick: A show of bravedo is not the way to her heart. You must remember that Astrid is more bold in on-foot battle than you ever were.
Hiccup: But, Dad... it doesn't match my flight suit.
Stoick: (Tosses shield to the side) Say no more.
Clouds of corn <3