Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Least Favourite Thing
Topic Started: 11 Jun 2014, 07:21 (20639 Views)
WasBornCrazy
i dont think my avatar is working but ehh

So most of can agree that HTTYD 2 was awesome, but it was not perfect. What are somethings you didn't like about it and why?

I hated how quickly Eret changes sides. It's either I missed out on something or it just goes from 'scared of Drago' to 'help Astrid and then let the dragons out of the traps'. Way too quick.

And then there's how Drago rode Toothless. HOW?!
i'm not very active anymore!! it's sad, but i'll come back sometimes to feel nostalgic ahaha
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Quote:

I hated how quickly Eret changes sides. It's either I missed out on something or it just goes from 'scared of Drago' to 'help Astrid and then let the dragons out of the traps'. Way too quick.
Actually, that's pretty easy to explain. By that point, Drago had already betrayed Eret, so the two were definitely enemies. "The enemy of my enemy is my friend", so it makes some sense for Eret to help the good guys for that reason. If nothing else, it's worth thinking of it this way: the good guys have clearly shown that they're not the types to kill someone who isn't actively opposing them, so at worst, Eret's out of a job if they win. On the other hand, Drago has clearly shown that he has no qualms with killing people, including Eret. I for one would go with unemployment over death, so I can see why Eret would as well.

As for me, I daresay a lot of you are expecting me to lost Valka as my least favourite thing, but surprisingly to me, she's not. Oh, I have many problems with her, but in the end, she's mostly harmless, and the only major problem she brings to the story is bogging it down in that second act.

For me, the worst part was the entire concept of alpha-ism. How in the nine circles of hell that's supposed to work, I have no idea.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

Eret
....Son of Eret

I didn't mind Eret either, though it probably would have been cool keep him on the bad side/going towards neutral at the end of the movie and save his official turning point for the third movie. But I still liked him a lot.

I'm not sure what my least favorite thing was, but something I didn't like as much as I thought I would were the flashbacks. They were kind of awkwardly placed and (especially Stoick's) didn't make a lot of sense to me. Maybe on a second viewing I'll understand that one a little better. I wish they had found a less convoluted and shoe-horny way to explain both Valka and Drago's history, honestly I was expecting Drago to have something to do with Valka's disappearance in some way and was a little disappointed that he didn't.

Eclipse-Wolven
Ninja Dragon

Mine was probably the lack of characterization and development they had for Drago. They didn't give him enough of a motivation for doing what he was doing and that all just made him more confusing to me than scary. I also am not sure I liked the fact that they left it open for him to return in the next movie, since we never see him die and it's implied that he could've gotten away with his bad Bewilderbeast.
-Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup-

duckizo
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

Eret
11 Jun 2014, 12:14
. I wish they had found a less convoluted and shoe-horny way to explain both Valka and Drago's history, honestly I was expecting Drago to have something to do with Valka's disappearance in some way and was a little disappointed that he didn't.
Same! I feel like that would have added a really epic feel to the movie and add higher stakes to the Hiccup vs. Drago conflict. Ah well.
Eclipse-Wolven
11 Jun 2014, 16:46
Mine was probably the lack of characterization and development they had for Drago. They didn't give him enough of a motivation for doing what he was doing and that all just made him more confusing to me than scary. I also am not sure I liked the fact that they left it open for him to return in the next movie, since we never see him die and it's implied that he could've gotten away with his bad Bewilderbeast.
The strange thing about this is that if you listen to DeBlois in interviews and stuff, he can actually explain Drago’s motivation really well and it totally makes sense… his character just never really got as deeply fleshed out in the movie (or it was awkwardly done and dialogue-y. I don’t think the flashback with Drago was necessary and it felt sort of awkwardly placed). I REALLLYYYY wish that incredible alternate opening scene with Valka and Eret was in the movie. It could have provided some much-needed exposition on Drago, upped the stakes, and really ANYTHING would have been better than that first dragon racing scene. Not that it was bad, but I feel like if this movie is supposed to be about moving beyond Berk, having that first Valka/Eret conflict and then seeing Hiccup and Toothless flying right towards where it happened would have set the tone for the film from the very beginning. The opening scene was fun but it didn’t do much in terms of setting up the plot and it felt like a waste of valuable time.

And...Yep...I'm a Nerd
Terrible Terror

Hopefully they elaborate on Drago's backstory in the third movie.

For me the thing that made the least sense was the aftermath of the battle at the sanctuary. I mean if you're Drago you have Hiccup, Valka, and Astrid all in one spot. Pretty much three of the most persistent thorns in your side. They have no dragons, and you have them vastly outnumbered. Why not just eliminate all of them right then and there?
Hiccup: Dragons are kind, amazing creatures that can bring people together
Drago: Or tear them apart...

NightFuryChic
Nightfury Overlord

I thought I wasn't going to see the movie, but my family surprised me! Anyway, I didn't like the song... Sorry, don't kill me. The song itself is nice, don't get me wrong. But the sequence felt like it was wasting time. They could've gone in a different way. I also couldn't stand Valka. I'll elaborate later, but those little things bugged me.

ToothlessNightFury
Toothless

WasBornCrazy
11 Jun 2014, 11:21
So most of can agree that HTTYD 2 was awesome, but it was not perfect. What are somethings you didn't like about it and why?

And then there's how Drago rode Toothless. HOW?!
my mom and i were really confused by this too.
Cuz Hiccup had his foot contraption in there for his metal leg. Not one for a normal human leg.
Believe a Dragon Can Thaw A Frozen Heart Role Play Based of HTTYD and Frozen

Around here we don't look back. We keep moving forward, opening up new doors and doing new things, because we're curious...and curiosity keeps leading us down new paths.-Walt Disney

Eret
....Son of Eret

Hiccup doesn't steer toothless with his metal leg, thats only for changing the flight "mode", like if its locked in to gliding position or if its free to be moved around. He steers and flies toothless with his real foot. Yes it has switched sides since the first movie, but if you watch which foot he uses while he is on Toothless's back, not getting ready to jump off of him, you will notice this is true. It makes more sense this way because to rotate your foot around so much requires calf muscles, and he has no calf muscles on the left side. Conceivably as long as toothless's tail is put in to the right gear, anyone could fly toothless.

Fawnduu
Gronckle

Eret
13 Jun 2014, 04:31
Hiccup doesn't steer toothless with his metal leg, thats only for changing the flight "mode", like if its locked in to gliding position or if its free to be moved around. He steers and flies toothless with his real foot. Yes it has switched sides since the first movie, but if you watch which foot he uses while he is on Toothless's back, not getting ready to jump off of him, you will notice this is true. It makes more sense this way because to rotate your foot around so much requires calf muscles, and he has no calf muscles on the left side. Conceivably as long as toothless's tail is put in to the right gear, anyone could fly toothless.
yyes yes yes i love you for how observant you are! I think the only thing i was iffy on were the flashbacks the transitions were jarring and i felt like i didnt need to visual see it and be taken out of the present. I think the flashbacks were a crutch for things that couldve been told in present time through different storytelling methods. But i loved the first meeting between valka and hiccup, when she emerges from the clouds and then cloudjumper comes up out and there is that really tense moment between them. ALSO FACIAL ANIMATIONS OF RUFFNUT, BRILLIANT AND PRICELESS!!! they did a fantastic job with that. Also valka's guilt when she sees stoick and her listing everything that was unforgivable and stoick just not even caring because the love of his life is still alive.
Im Courtney, a Concept Artist/ Computer Animator! 8)

My Art Page
My Animations