Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Your HTTYD 3 plot speculation?
Topic Started: 23 Feb 2018, 18:29 (9155 Views)
Lovaasnah
Hatchling

I am on book 12 now...around page 200 haha so I guess I shall see. Good call though! I know they do have lungs and gills in the book series which could be an option for him to survive.
Film Toothless has been in multiple near death experiences involving water though so I think it is safe to say that, although he can definitely hold his breath and swim fairly decently, he does not have gills. I really hope the film makers don't make him "magically/conveniently" grow them.

If Toothless must survive, as much as I hate the sappy fake happily ever after deal, I would rather something cheesy and cliche like the power of love/friendship saving him over something random and physically impossible like suddenly growing gills or a new tail fin etc.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Sparrowhawk
average space enthusiast

Anyone ever wish Dean DeBlois had a secret account on here and was listening to what we were saying about Dragons 3? Because that would be pretty neat.
Engineer and Pyromaniac. What's not to love?

I plan to send a rocket to the edge of space before I turn 25
GO TEAM
P A T H E T I C ! ! !
Yahoo!!
:nightfuryegg: :toothless: :nightfuryegg:

Joel
What should I put here..

I don't see toothless dying anytime soon even in HTTYD 3.. It seems too dark for a Dreamworks movie in all honesty. And the fact that him dying would upset the fans. As well as I don't think parents want to come out of the cinema with their child crying from toothless dying.

It'll be interesting to find out though when it eventually comes out.

Lovaasnah
Hatchling

I suppose that is not out of the realm of possibility Sparrowhawk albeit sadly, not very probable. It is a neat concept to speculate about...as with other animators and DreamWorks employees.

Unfortunately, you are probably correct Joel. Preserving the kid friendly theme of the film will likely take precedence over realism although, I think Dean will give it his best shot to appease both parties. He will have to get creative to keep our buddy alive while ensuring that the story remains realistic and compelling, that's for sure. I am anxious to see how he/they pull it off!

Hope_and_Heir

[color=#B40431]Winner of Shnuckle's Oneshot Fanfiction Contest 2014
[/color]

Lovaasnah
23 Feb 2018, 22:29
I am on book 12 now...around page 200 haha so I guess I shall see. Good call though! I know they do have lungs and gills in the book series which could be an option for him to survive.
Film Toothless has been in multiple near death experiences involving water though so I think it is safe to say that, although he can definitely hold his breath and swim fairly decently, he does not have gills. I really hope the film makers don't make him "magically/conveniently" grow them.

If Toothless must survive, as much as I hate the sappy fake happily ever after deal, I would rather something cheesy and cliche like the power of love/friendship saving him over something random and physically impossible like suddenly growing gills or a new tail fin etc.
I'm now really curious about this. ^) I had thought about the fact that there were a lot of scenes where he's 'drowning' but a lot of them he was locked up, which still maintains the drama of having to save him. I'm also only rembering the one from the first movie and one from Rtte though. If you know of other times could you point them out? I feel like I'm missing some, but for the life of me I can't remember the last few seasons of RTTE :$
'There Were Dragons When I Was A Boy…'

Lovaasnah
Hatchling

You're good, no worries.
You're right, Toothless has only had 2 or 3 really dangerous situations with water but he has been underwater more times than I can really list/count in RoB DoB RTTE and films where he was either in some type of distress himself, or saving Hiccup/someone else. Regardless of why he was needing to be saved or saving someone, if he had gills or there was no fear of him drowning, there wouldn't be the sense of urgency. There always is though because...he could/will drown. You can also see that Toothless does hold his breath while underwater and that bubbles escape anytime be exhales/vocalizes. If he did have gills or the ability to breathe underwater, Hiccup or even Fishlegs/other riders would have discovered that long ago. While on land throughout the TV series, Toothless often objects to playing or doing training exercises in the water. Even if it is from experience/association as well as instinct, he knows the danger for himself but more selflessly, Hiccup who certainly does not have gills, is a weaker swimmer, and cannot hold his breath for near as long.

Joel
What should I put here..

10 or so days until cinemacon.. almost there to see a plot release :)

Lovaasnah
Hatchling

I hope so!

Tuffnut'sChicken
B-BAWK!

Tuffnut'sChicken
29 Nov 2016, 23:02

I'm hoping that it does not end the time of the dragons. I don't know what it will focus on, but I hope it doesn't follow the books. (I haven't actually read them, but I did read the Wiki articles about the plot lines, so yeah.)

I like to think of the HTTYD books being related to HTTYD movies the way The Snow Queen is related to Frozen -- an inspiration, but not anything which would define the way it ends up.
After reading the books all the way I would amend this statement. I like the way the books ended... but the movies didn't have the nuance for that.
Tuffnut'sChicken
29 Nov 2016, 23:02

I'm hoping that the "big bad dragon" will be something other than another huge dragon. First the Red Death, all very well and good. Then the Bewilderbeast... I mean, wow, that's starting to get extreme. I'm hoping the creators will be more creative than making something even bigger. Maybe even having no "big bad dragon," but instead a person. And maybe not even the return of Drago; I wouldn't mind him, but I'd also like to see someone more realistic as well.
Do we still need to tag spoilers? Just in case:
Spoiler: click to toggle
Clouds of corn <3