Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
[SPOILER] HTTYD 3 Ending Speculations?
Topic Started: 11 Sep 2014, 11:32 (13101 Views)
ChinesischSchluckauf

[b]
[color=blue]Shut up, Mokuba!
[/color]
[/b]

Pikey
11 Sep 2014, 15:30
dorcas18
11 Sep 2014, 15:27
More like a final epic battle with a no one died ending
Assuming you mean no one *good* dies, it would go up in criticism most likely unless something happens. Obviously the bad guy needs to either get wrecked, or the good guys do something to avoid being wrecked themselves. Which might be where the whole dragon disappearance thing comes in.
You mean, like, the good Vikings use the Dragon Jewel to save themselves from the bad Vikings and inadvertently kill all the dragons?
Did anybody else notice my signature has shrunk?
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Pikey
Wow!

Uhh, not exactly what I had in mind. I was thinking a more passive approach, not quite the "everything dies in a ball of fire" ending. :P

Hope_and_Heir

[color=#B40431]Winner of Shnuckle's Oneshot Fanfiction Contest 2014
[/color]

ChinesischSchluckauf
11 Sep 2014, 15:32
Pikey
11 Sep 2014, 15:30
dorcas18
11 Sep 2014, 15:27
More like a final epic battle with a no one died ending
Assuming you mean no one *good* dies, it would go up in criticism most likely unless something happens. Obviously the bad guy needs to either get wrecked, or the good guys do something to avoid being wrecked themselves. Which might be where the whole dragon disappearance thing comes in.
You mean, like, the good Vikings use the Dragon Jewel to save themselves from the bad Vikings and inadvertently kill all the dragons?
I don't think the movies will go into the king's things like the books do.
'There Were Dragons When I Was A Boy…'

MartianArchaeologist
Member Avatar
Gronckle

What puzzles me is this--

A continuing franchise is the most profitable, at a point where Dreamworks is trying to build itself as a franchise-based company. If this "There were dragons when I was a boy" is taken literally, that ends the franchise (unless it becomes "How to Train Your Yak" ) They've built an almost unbreakable bond between the humans and the dragons. Toothless is Hiccup's "Mojo"--whenever Toothless is not around Hiccup becomes uncertain.

How is sending the dragons away satisfying in any respect? That's the part I hated most about Lord of the Rings, when everybody sailed off into the West.

I don't understand how it's good for the audience or for Dreamworks to have Hiccup & the gang looking up at a sky empty of dragons. Have been thinking about it for a while, and it's not adding up, if some sort of twist on it isn't introduced.

Maybe that ending sounds better for others; maybe too many of my family and friends have died or changed (not for the better) for me to construe a satisfying situation out of that.

:stoick:

Lastandir
Gronckle

MartianArchaeologist
12 Sep 2014, 03:30
How is sending the dragons away satisfying in any respect? That's the part I hated most about Lord of the Rings, when everybody sailed off into the West.
Book or movie? If movie... It will be not big surprise for me :P
The problem with LotR (movie! not book) is that people think that it is just epic, fantasy story about heroes, battles, etc... Without any "spiritual dimension" - that's why last scenes in movie can be disappointed. People expect "live happily ever after" ending. LotR movie was really shallow... Compared with the book of course.
Without higher knowledge about Middle-earth, it is hard to understand why journey to the Undying Lands was really necessary...

BTW I have a feeling that we will not see "the end of dragons". It was said that last movie will explain why NOW, in the modern world, there are no alive dragons. Maybe "There were dragons when I was a boy" means "When i was a boy, there were many dragons. Now only few are alive..."

ChinesischSchluckauf

[b]
[/color]
[/b]

Lastandir
12 Sep 2014, 04:14
MartianArchaeologist
It was said that last movie will explain why NOW, in the modern world, there are no alive dragons.
The closest I get to dragons now are those flying lizards that hide in the trees :P

Night Fury
Member Avatar
Terrible Terror

MartianArchaeologist
It's not satisfying... unless you're a masochist. :P

Yeah, I never liked that about the ending of Return of the King. The film did a poor job of explaining why Frodo had to leave. A lot of people found it confusing and unnecessary. I think the books did a better job of explaining the why, but I hope the same isn't true for the ending of HTTYD 3.
MartianArchaeologist
Maybe that ending sounds better for others; maybe too many of my family and friends have died or changed (not for the better) for me to construe a satisfying situation out of that.
I can definitely relate.

I think that ending sounds good to people who are too young to have experienced very much real-life death or separation. I seem to remember liking sad endings when I was a kid. Growing up definitely changes your perspective on things.

ChinesischSchluckauf

[b]
[/color]
[/b]

Night Fury
12 Sep 2014, 04:20
MartianArchaeologist
It's not satisfying... unless you're a masochist. :P

Yeah, I never liked that about the ending of Return of the King. The film did a poor job of explaining why Frodo had to leave. A lot of people found it confusing and unnecessary. I think the books did a better job of explaining the why, but I hope the same isn't true for the ending of HTTYD 3.

It should be interesting to see if DWA can produce an end to dragons without the accompanying outrage pandemic.

Lastandir
Gronckle

ChinesischSchluckauf
12 Sep 2014, 04:19
Lastandir
12 Sep 2014, 04:14
MartianArchaeologist
It was said that last movie will explain why NOW, in the modern world, there are no alive dragons.
The closest I get to dragons now are those flying lizards that hide in the trees :P
Or birds 8)

Dragons should be close to the dinosaurs i think 8)

DarthBacon
Gronckle

Toothless and Hiccup getting separated for good has the potential to be really intense and amazing, if done right. It would be a perfect way to end the series, and even preventing any mindless sequels..Do you want a httyd 7, that has no story, simply done to extend a franchise? I guess not. I don't want a movie after movie after movie that might make me bored of this franchise.

Dean wants HTTYD to be in the shelves along with the LoTR and the Star Wars franchises..Given where it started off, as an animated comedy, this is really ambitious, and i guess he has almost pulled it off. I only hope he does not change his mind and do something that he doesn't like to do..

Sure, a happy ending would be awesome, but this ending is much more powerful...I can't really imagine Hiccup living away from Toothless, or Toothless away from Hiccup, but if they are sacrificing them being together for the well being of their respective species, that would be really, really special too.