Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
John Powell not returning for HTTYD3
Topic Started: 10 Jun 2014, 20:30 (9449 Views)
HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

I;m not as broken up as everyone esle for some reason. I think maybe because I wasn't as impressed by the soundtrack for HTTYD2?

Hopefully though we will get a good composer like maybe Hans Zimmer, James Horner or something of the like.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Zer0x

[b]Banhammerdragon
[/b]

DerangedTheDagur
11 Jun 2014, 00:15

"Oh, great, now we're gonna have to do the rest of this with Danny Elfman..."
No, not Elfman, everyone, but not Elfman.

TheCube42
11 Jun 2014, 00:19
I think his semi-serious interview with Spitfire Audio (includes foul language, published Apr. 7 2013 as far as I can tell from searching) hinted at this sabbatical/retirement, basically implying film score is a lower form of art than pure concert music (which, a lot of the time, it is). As far as I know, he did only two films 2012, and none 2013, so there was also the reduction in his involvement with film, which... interpret it however you may.

But the Wikipedia page on Powell still lists that he will work with Zimmer for Kung Fu Panda 3, so I'm also skeptical.

I know this interview, but I've never took it serious. I've read somewhere that Powell have a very strange sort of sarcasm.

But who could replace Powell in case of emergency? The only one I could think of would be Allan Silvestri.
John Williams? I think he is too busy with Star Wars VII.
Hans Zimmer? Nah, not epic enough.
Howard Shore? No, please...

I can't find a legit source for the scoring of KFP3, it is not on remote control production's website. But honestly, I think they were never a good team. The score was okay, but it could e much better.
UNAMUSED

No, I'm serious....stop it..

Sabrina
Terrible Terror

HideousZippleback
11 Jun 2014, 00:30
I;m not as broken up as everyone esle for some reason. I think maybe because I wasn't as impressed by the soundtrack for HTTYD2?

Hopefully though we will get a good composer like maybe Hans Zimmer, James Horner or something of the like.
Yes, but he still could fix it in the third movie. ^o)
"Pain... love it."

And...Yep...I'm a Nerd
Terrible Terror

Well that's disappointing.
Hiccup: Dragons are kind, amazing creatures that can bring people together
Drago: Or tear them apart...

TheCube42
(As Not Seen on TV)

Zer0x
11 Jun 2014, 00:39
No, not Elfman, everyone, but not Elfman.
Elfman's score for Mr. Peabody & Sherman was slick, self-aware, but still sincere in its emotion. Honestly, I think he's capable of a serious narrative; it just depends on what temp track the filmmakers give him.

Personally, I think it would be interesting if DW took a risk and took in a concert composer like John Corigliano, as someone who still argues that The Red Violin for best score was among the top 5 Oscars decisions ever made.
Σ (a sigma-ture)

Zer0x

[b]Banhammerdragon
[/b]

I haven't seen Peabody and Sherman yet, because I didn't want to see it with german voices and I haven't listen to the soundtrack, because I don't listen to scores before I've seen the movie. But the Blu-Ray (and the CD) isn't far away.
UNAMUSED

No, I'm serious....stop it..

Eret
....Son of Eret

😧😱😭

AuroraBorealis
Monstrous Nightmare

On no! That's a shame. I hope Powell enjoys his time with his teenager, although. It's probably for the best for him.
What should I write on my signature? Hmm...
I am a Httyd, Gravity Falls and Portal (One and two) fan.
I'm also a bookworm and an introvert.
That was pretty random, but that's me summed up in two sentences.

Rocky Rose
Deadly Nadder

Astrid
11 Jun 2014, 00:06
I think there is a possibility for him to come back.... BUT before that he needs the time off that's for sure. In a year and a half another news saying he might come back is still possible.
Thing is right now he wants some time off, so give it to him, I'm hoping for Dean and Bonnie to talk to him and convince him once the 3rd movie is almost done. Many things can change until 2016.
Reason why I'm not gonna get sad until then... :P
"I saw him, and I saw myself."- Hiccup
"With Vikings on the backs of dragons, the world just got a whole lot bigger."

Addicted to DRAGONS :D

My Devianart
My Tumblr (I'm on there ALOT) Nightfury326

MartianArchaeologist
Member Avatar
Gronckle

I think the movie release should wait for John Powell to return from his sabbatical.