Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
John Powell not returning for HTTYD3
Topic Started: 11 Jun 2014, 01:51 (9299 Views)
TheCube42
(As Not Seen on TV)

Almost missed the opportunity for this: I guess John isn't... Coming back around.

*rides off into the sunset*
Σ (a sigma-ture)
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Hic626
Terrible Terror

It's a real shame that he's not returning, but I guess it would be cool to see a new take I the existing themes. James Horner would be a good choice; and I know it will never happen, but my dream would be for John Murphy to do it as the OST for Subshine was spectacular.

Also, don't rule out Jonsi doing it solo.

Night fury fire

[b]
[color=blue]We're fangirls! It's an occupational hazard...
[/color]
[/b]

:'( *sits in corner and cries*

^_^ ;) :D :$ :P 8) :'( :( ^) :O :blink: >:( <3 <- me seeing httyd 2

thescienceofmagic
Hairy Hooligan

MartianArchaeologist
11 Jun 2014, 05:13
I think the movie release should wait for John Powell to return from his sabbatical.
I know I'd sure wait!
Hic626
11 Jun 2014, 07:26
Also, don't rule out Jonsi doing it solo.
I don't think this would happen. His music is good but I'm not sure he has the knowledge of how to put a whole score together. If Powell is replaced, I do hope they keep Jonsi at least.
TheCube42
11 Jun 2014, 05:51
Almost missed the opportunity for this: I guess John isn't... Coming back around.

*rides off into the sunset*
I don't know whether to applaud or cry

"I'm not a fan of quoting other people in signatures, especially when they aren't funny." -Zer0x 2014

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Hmm, this is bad news, true enough. However, I think it is worth bearing a few things in mind.

First, the evidence is currently suggesting that the third film will be considerably more bittersweet than the first two, so for all we know, it could be something that wouldn't suit Powell.

Second, there's still plenty of time to find a new composer. People have already mentioned some good candidates, but I for one would love for Dreamworks to find someone brand new. I do just love it when a movie brings a great new talent into the limelight, and in my experience, speculative fiction of various forms seems to be amongst the best for doing this.

Though if we're going with an established composer, then my vote would be for Hans Zimmer. He's worked with Powell in the past, and thus would be among the most qualified to bring some of his style in, adapt the basic themes, etc. Of course, he's done some darn good scores himself, even including an animated film (The Lion King).
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

And...Yep...I'm a Nerd
Terrible Terror

MartianArchaeologist
11 Jun 2014, 05:13
I think the movie release should wait for John Powell to return from his sabbatical.
Agreed. Yet another reason to delay releasing the movie.
Hiccup: Dragons are kind, amazing creatures that can bring people together
Drago: Or tear them apart...

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

No one should even consider the idea of Dreamworks delaying HTTYD 3 as a possibility, let alone a hope. Katzenberg and the other executives are never going to delay that huge and guaranteed income over a little matter like the music which Joe Public will barely notice anyway, and will have next to no impact on the bottom line. Especially when, again, they still have plenty of time to find someone else to do the score.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

TheEleventhViking
Terrible Terror

Cartoon Freak
11 Jun 2014, 11:42
No one should even consider the idea of Dreamworks delaying HTTYD 3 as a possibility, let alone a hope. Katzenberg and the other executives are never going to delay that huge and guaranteed income over a little matter like the music which Joe Public will barely notice anyway, and will have next to no impact on the bottom line. Especially when, again, they still have plenty of time to find someone else to do the score.
There isn`t the certainty that the film will earn so musch the year it is realesed. It has quite the competition, and then when they loose Powell as well that is just another reason to push the realese a year or two

DerangedTheDagur
Pirate Lord of the Berk archipelago

Cartoon Freak
11 Jun 2014, 10:56

Though if we're going with an established composer, then my vote would be for Hans Zimmer. He's worked with Powell in the past, and thus would be among the most qualified to bring some of his style in, adapt the basic themes, etc. Of course, he's done some darn good scores himself, even including an animated film (The Lion King).
I agree, Zimmer has always been one of my favorite composers. He did a great job with Kung Fury Panda, the Pirates of the Caribbean movies, and one of my most favorite scores, King Arthur.

And just so we're clear, even though I'd hate to see him do THIS movie, I do love Danny Elfman, lol
"I think we've all arrived at a very special place. Spiritually, ecumenically, grammatically." ~Captain Jack Sparrow

Eret
....Son of Eret

Cartoon Freak
11 Jun 2014, 11:42
No. The chances of Dragons moving back is actually pretty high, and that has nothing to do with John Powell. There is no way in this universe that both Dory and Dragons are going to stay at June 17, one of them is going to cave and depending on how well Dragons 2 fares in its opening weekend we'll have a better idea which is going to move first. But right now there is a 50% chance of Dragons 3 moving back.