Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
John Powell not returning for HTTYD3
Topic Started: 11 Jun 2014, 23:57 (9453 Views)
Berserk Shieldmaiden
Superior Warriorness

Quote:

I also want them to delay it. HTTYD3 CAN'T compete with Finding Dory. I think the only one that has chances in such a competition is Despicable Me 3.
If Jeffrey don't delay it, he is going to lost a lot of money.

I don't think we have to worry about Finding Dory being more popular than HTTYD.I personally thought Finding Nemo was overhyped.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

nissi4eva
Baby terror

hope he gets back for the 3rd movie. His scores really lights up the whole atmosphere of each scene.
KEEP CALM AND CUDDLE THAT NIGHT FURY!

WasBornCrazy
i dont think my avatar is working but ehh

But you have to remember guys, Finding Nemo was a big hit. Pixar is known for heart warming movies, and I highly doubt Finding Dory would be any different. Many are hyped for it, way more than the fans of HTTYD.

(This is getting off the tracks. I like trains.)
i'm not very active anymore!! it's sad, but i'll come back sometimes to feel nostalgic ahaha

Toothless
the unholy offspring of lightning and death itself

They should either wait for Powell or use the ancient art of necromancy to resurrect Mozart

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

I still think maybe Hans Zimmer or James Horner would be the best if Powell never returns...

TheCube42
(As Not Seen on TV)

Ludovic Bource is another dark horse, who managed to beat both John Williams and Howard Shore with his score for The Artist, which showed he can write in one of the most elaborate and difficult styles of music (uber-Romanticism).
Σ (a sigma-ture)

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

Sorry but after watching HTTYD2 I am NOT impressed by the music. A lot of times it just didn't fit with what was happening and urgh...

I might not miss JP after this movie...

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

HideousZippleback
13 Jun 2014, 05:56
Sorry but after watching HTTYD2 I am NOT impressed by the music. A lot of times it just didn't fit with what was happening and urgh...

Out of curiosity, can you recall any specific moments where the music didn't fit (spoiler tags, of course)? I can only think of one (the first use of "Where No One Goes"), and otherwise, while the score was not as memorable as that of the original, it certainly seemed to support the film's mood.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

puxlit
Member Avatar
Better in Silhouette Form

Cartoon Freak
13 Jun 2014, 09:49
[...] I can only think of one (the first use of "Where No One Goes") [...]
Did Beyond the Clouds colour your expectations?
HideousZippleback
13 Jun 2014, 05:56

Remember that there were a lot of non-action sequences in the first film, and the cues that we'd pick as our favourites—Forbidden Friendship, New Tail, See You Tomorrow, Test Drive, Romantic Flight, and so on—were scored for those scenes.

Contrast that with the second film, where pretty much every other sequence after the first act is action-oriented. Throw in the expectation that established themes will be reused—this is a sequel, after all—and it seems to me his options are limited. If DeBlois wants bombastic cues, that's what Powell will have to write; he can't just write another Forbidden Friendship, because no such sequence exists in the film.

It sounds like he's hoping to escape from such creative shackles whilst on sabbatical.

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

puxlit
13 Jun 2014, 13:21
Cartoon Freak
13 Jun 2014, 09:49
[...] I can only think of one (the first use of "Where No One Goes") [...]
Did Beyond the Clouds colour your expectations?
I can't deny the possibility. For what it's worth, I think that worked better, but that's more because of my issue with "Where No One Goes" as background music. Basically, it comes down to Jonsi's vocal style. I'm not a musical expert, so I'm not sure if it's synthesised or whatever, but it sounds too modern to go with the more old-fashioned, orchestral musical score. The actual melody is absolutely fine, and would work if it wasn't for those vocals and a few other effects.

I actually love the song... as an end credits song, where a different musical style is expected.

As for the rest of the score, I'm in the "for" camp, so you don't need to convince me, though you make a good point in the rest of your post.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.