Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
John Powell not returning for HTTYD3
Topic Started: 11 Jun 2014, 08:18 (9446 Views)
Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Okay, fair point in that there is a decent chance of a minor shift in release date, but they're not going to do anything major enough to make it likely that Powell will come back.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

WasBornCrazy
i dont think my avatar is working but ehh

Ok, I'm not gonna trust anything until at least 6 months before the release date.
i'm not very active anymore!! it's sad, but i'll come back sometimes to feel nostalgic ahaha

Sabrina
Terrible Terror

And...Yep...I'm a Nerd
11 Jun 2014, 11:11
MartianArchaeologist
11 Jun 2014, 05:13
I think the movie release should wait for John Powell to return from his sabbatical.
Agreed. Yet another reason to delay releasing the movie.
I also want them to delay it. HTTYD3 CAN'T compete with Finding Dory. I think the only one that has chances in such a competition is Despicable Me 3.
If Jeffrey don't delay it, he is going to lost a lot of money.
"Pain... love it."

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

I honestly think HTTYD 3 can compete financially with Finding Dory. The films' primary audiences are sufficiently different (Finding Dory will likely, like it's predecessor, have younger children as the primary child audience, while the HTTYD franchise appears to be aiming more towards the tween market), and the periphery demographic of adult animation geeks will likely see both anyway. I certainly would.

Now, there would certainly be some lost revenue for both films, so it's completely sensible to say that one film will step aside in one direction or another, but I doubt it will be a significant amount. Six months at the absolute maximum (so as to catch the other peak period), and even that would surprise me greatly.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

Eret
....Son of Eret

Sabrina
11 Jun 2014, 15:16
And...Yep...I'm a Nerd
11 Jun 2014, 11:11
MartianArchaeologist
11 Jun 2014, 05:13
I think the movie release should wait for John Powell to return from his sabbatical.
Agreed. Yet another reason to delay releasing the movie.
I also want them to delay it. HTTYD3 CAN'T compete with Finding Dory. I think the only one that has chances in such a competition is Despicable Me 3.
If Jeffrey don't delay it, he is going to lost a lot of money.
Disagree, I would actually go so far as to say that if Dragons 2 does well in the box office, Pixar will be the underdog in 2016's hypothetical standoff. The HTTYD franchise will be much fresher in peoples minds, while Pixar has been losing a little of its general public approval with its string of lackluster films, delays, director shuffling, and sequelitis.

My prediction is that if Dragons does well this weekend, Pixar is likely going to move. If Dragons underperforms, then Dreamworks will move. Either way, one of them is going to move, I just hope that if its Dragons, they move SOON. Rushing the first part of production to meet a deadline and then finding out later that the deadline has been extended is no good at all.

Sabrina
Terrible Terror

Eret
11 Jun 2014, 15:32
Disagree, I would actually go so far as to say that if Dragons 2 does well in the box office, Pixar will be the underdog in 2016's hypothetical standoff. The HTTYD franchise will be much fresher in peoples minds, while Pixar has been losing a little of its general public approval with its string of lackluster films, delays, director shuffling, and sequelitis.

My prediction is that if Dragons does well this weekend, Pixar is likely going to move. If Dragons underperforms, then Dreamworks will move. Either way, one of them is going to move, I just hope that if its Dragons, they move SOON. Rushing the first part of production to meet a deadline and then finding out later that the deadline has been extended is no good at all.
I don't think so, Dragons it's a dark movie, and kids tend to like "cute" movie. TS was released YEARS ago, and TS3 made 1 billion. And I think that Finding Nemo is much more popular than Toy Story.
And I also think that Finding Dory will be another overrated blockbuster because of that writter and director.

About your predictions, I agree, I think they are going to look forward for the OW. And decide what they are going to do.
"Pain... love it."

Eret
....Son of Eret

No way, the Toy Story franchise is leagues ahead of Finding Dory in terms of nostalgia and popularity, and Toy Story 3 also had the same benefit that Dragons 3 will have in that its the final chapter of a beloved franchise.

Astrid
Gronckle

TheCube42
11 Jun 2014, 05:51
Almost missed the opportunity for this: I guess John isn't... Coming back around.

*rides off into the sunset*

I would personally like if they delayed Dragons 3 and take their time to really bring a good end to the franchise (I also would like Chris Sanders to come back as a director with Dean, idk what yet but I feel he brings something that Dean was not able to grasp in httyd2)

puxlit
Member Avatar
Better in Silhouette Form

Astrid
11 Jun 2014, 18:01
[...] I would personally like if they delayed Dragons 3 and take their time to really bring a good end to the franchise (I also would like Chris Sanders to come back as a director with Dean, idk what yet but I feel he brings something that Dean was not able to grasp in httyd2)
This. The screenplays they co-wrote (L&S, HTTYD) feel a lot more polished than what they can muster alone (or with a different co-director).

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

puxlit
11 Jun 2014, 19:40
Astrid
11 Jun 2014, 18:01
[...] I would personally like if they delayed Dragons 3 and take their time to really bring a good end to the franchise (I also would like Chris Sanders to come back as a director with Dean, idk what yet but I feel he brings something that Dean was not able to grasp in httyd2)
This. The screenplays they co-wrote (L&S, HTTYD) feel a lot more polished than what they can muster alone (or with a different co-director).
Maybe if they push it back a little after the Croods then we can have Chris with Dragons again... It would be nice.