Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
John Powell not returning for HTTYD3
Topic Started: 13 Jun 2014, 11:19 (9439 Views)
TheCube42
(As Not Seen on TV)

Cartoon Freak
13 Jun 2014, 13:42
I'm not a musical expert, so I'm not sure if it's synthesised or whatever, but it sounds too modern to go with the more old-fashioned, orchestral musical score.
It is Jonsi's actual voice; but I think it's put through multiple effects (slight distortion, and plenty of reverb for some passages).

I thought it was a nice stylistic departure in this case. Like "Romantic Flight" from the first film, which was completely isolated in its style (and placement), "Where No One Goes" is placed in the film (the flight sequence) such that it provides isolation from the rest of the film. Which is exactly what the flight sequence represents: Hiccup is free from everyone and everything else.
Σ (a sigma-ture)
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

In this case, I don't have a problem with a stylistic departure as such, but this goes too far, and, perhaps more importantly, too modern for the setting. But hey, that's just me, and I freely acknowledge that music is not my area of expertise.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

News guys. The rumor is false (Dean said it explicitly) and JP will come back for HTTYD3 because it's a film he cares about doing music for.

thescienceofmagic
Hairy Hooligan

HideousZippleback
13 Jun 2014, 18:39
News guys. The rumor is false (Dean said it explicitly) and JP will come back for HTTYD3 because it's a film he cares about doing music for.
Do you have a source for this?
If so, that's really great to hear and it makes me very happy indeed.

"I'm not a fan of quoting other people in signatures, especially when they aren't funny." -Zer0x 2014

Eret
....Son of Eret

Yes please if you have a source for that i'd be eternally grateful

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

thescienceofmagic
13 Jun 2014, 18:46
HideousZippleback
13 Jun 2014, 18:39
Do you have a source for this?
If so, that's really great to hear and it makes me very happy indeed.
Eret
13 Jun 2014, 18:50
Yes please if you have a source for that i'd be eternally grateful
It was something posted on Tumblr by somebody and now I can't rmeber which blog it was that said that....

Toothless
the unholy offspring of lightning and death itself

I thought the soundtrack was good where no one goes was good as well as dragon racing, 2 new alphas and for the dancing and dreaming

chupacabra
Member Avatar
Hatchling

i think he has ptsd from working on httyd2

dorcas18
Dragon Egg

chupacabra
13 Jun 2014, 21:24
i think he has ptsd from working on httyd2
Most probably.
Every bucket is unique, observe and you will see~

Tessem7
Dragon Trainer

So, if I recall correctly, I believe that John Powell said he wouldn't be returning for HTTYD3 because of a conflicting project (time wise). I'm sure that Dean Deblois wanted Powell back, so maybe that is one of the reasons that they pushed the movie back to 2017. If this was one of the reasons, I'll be ecstatic. The soundtrack was one of the best redeeming qualities of both movies so far and I'm sure (assuming Powell composes/directs it) the soundtrack for the third movie will be just as amazing.
"Thank you for summing that up."