Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Httyd 3?
Topic Started: 14 Jun 2014, 03:37 (4392 Views)
underwater-smiles
wanna-be dragon trainer

Hey! So now that we've all had a little time to cry about digest HTTYD 2, what do you guys think will happen in the next movie? What with Stoick dying, Hiccup becoming Chief, and Toothless becoming the alpha dragon, it's sure to be a bit of a mess for Berk.

How long between the movies do you guys think it will be this time?

What would be the major conflict of the new movie? Drago somehow coming back? Hiccup and Toothless's new lives making it hard for them to spend time together and eventually them growing apart? Hiccup and Astrid have kids?

I honestly just want to see a lot of mother/son bonding between Hiccups and Valka as well as Hiccstrid. ^_^
everything is better with flower crowns!

check out my tumblr here: underwater-smiles.tumblr.com
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Dan_Oceans
What do I put here again?

OMG, thank you for making this. I was planning to make this kind of thread.

I heard that they're planning on making the next one within the next two or three years. Honestly, I think that Drago won't come back and Hiccup and Toothless may start to grow apart. I mean come on, Chief and Alpha Dragon must be tiring and after a while you must want to do nothing but rest any time you can. I'm not sure on the main conflict, but kids, no.
"can you hear the birds sing? saying go the f*** to sleep (to the sound of les mis)"
Spoiler: click to toggle

Oneill5491
Terrible Terror

There are a number of questions and loose ends that we already know will be addressed in the final installment of HTTYD. Whether that be HTTYD 3 or 4 is up to how greedy Katzenberg gets.

Dean has mentioned on numerous occasions that he'll provide the answer to whether or not Toothless is the last of his kind and why I don't have a pet dragon in my house right now, gods dammit! :blink:

Apparently Drago will return as the enduring villain in the next movie which I'm really nervous about since I was hoping for a new source of conflict. Using the same villain in the next film will be a nice opportunity to tie loose ends and flesh out his character (which are the main complaints about him in the current movie), but it seems to me it would be awfully hard to make the source of antagonism seem fresh and intriguing if you bring him back.

I think the main plot of the last film will center around a conflict that brings about an alarming degree of inhospitality to humans and/or dragons as a result of their continued coexistence. I can only see one of two outcomes that fulfills Dean's vision: either the dragons fly away with fates unknown or they die. The latter would be a pretty tough one to write, IMO. I would hate to see Toothless die, though it could be one of the most dramatic and most sorrowful scenes in movie history if done right. But do you want to be known as the animated franchise that kills everything you love?

BTW, can someone fill me in on how Cowell decided to answer this question in her story or has she even come to that point yet? I think she has yet to write her last book.

Honestly, the biggest question I have is will they advance the timeline again? I definitely wouldn't be against it. As for your Hiccstrid development, you could feasibly have the next film start out where they're already married, but I think having a kid would jumble things up too much narratively and would detract from the primary focus that needs to be set squarely on Hiccup and Toothless for the entire franchise. But it would be cute if Hiccup opened the movie with his obligatory sitrep monologue and ends with, "oh, and there's one more thing..." and then you see the camera pan over to show Astrid cuddled into him in bed (talk about pushing the envelope for animation, yet again). Honestly, I highly doubt anything like that would happen, but it's pretty much a given that they'll end up married and they'd likely tie the knot towards the end of the movie as a happily ever after thing (cliche, I know, but it works). Even better if it's done in the bittersweet fallout of all the dragons disappearing/dying.

What surprised me at the end of HTTYD 2 is that Valka vowed to remain in Berk. I kinda figured the status quo would be restored and she would go back out to continue rescuing dragons on her own, confident enough that Hiccup no longer needs parental support now that he has found his identity and has willingly taken up the reins of chiefdom - that and possibly feeling like she can't reintegrate herself with humanity or provide much value aside from a bit of dragon knowledge. It'll be interesting how they decide to use her in the next movie(s) or if they somehow dismiss her character presence in a prologue.

And...Yep...I'm a Nerd
Terrible Terror

I don't know what will happen, but I know what I want to happen:

1. I want Hiccup to start a family. Not necessarily with a child but at least with Astrid. It doesn't really matter to me when it happens, but I think at the LATEST, it has to happen by the beginning of HTTYD 3.

2. I want Drago to return. I've said this before but I think he still has so much potential to become a GREAT (not good, but GREAT) villain. I want to see what Dean can do with that potential

3. I want Hiccup to be pushed to the edge emotionally. I want him to feel the full weight of Drago's evil, and realize that there are some people who's only tool is violence. It sounds harsh, but I feel like the only way to do this is to have Drago harm someone that Hiccup loves (probably Astrid/Valka/Toothless). Harm, not kill, mind you, because I think that would push Hiccup too far into the "Emo, moody, depression" phase. I just want him to get angry.

4. If/when the dragons leave (I don't think it's possible for me to emotionally prepare myself for this, even with two years to do so), I'd like it to be in the distant future, so that we can see older, wiser Hiccup.

5. I didn't know how I felt about this, but after seeing HTTYD 2, I believe there HAS to be a HTTYD 4. With how rushed the second movie felt, I just don't see how Dean can bring the franchise to a satisfying conclusion in one movie.
Hiccup: Dragons are kind, amazing creatures that can bring people together
Drago: Or tear them apart...

HideousZippleback

[color=blue]I'm just here for Snotlout.
[/color]

Dragons leaving.

puxlit
Member Avatar
Better in Silhouette Form

Oneill5491
14 Jun 2014, 08:29
BTW, can someone fill me in on how Cowell decided to answer this question in her story or has she even come to that point yet? I think she has yet to write her last book.
She's still writing the twelfth book.

It'd be tricky to set up dragons leaving of their own volition without two films; you'd need a lot of screen time to convincingly ratchet up the tension (between vikings and dragons) to breaking point. A mass extinction (through some sort of cataclysmic event) could work within a single film. I'm curious to know what Katzenberg's plans are for the franchise beyond DeBlois's final installment; he's hinted that the characters will have a "long and wonderful life ahead of them" in spite of how conclusive the third film would be.

Eret
....Son of Eret

All I really, really, really want in the third movie is some more development on Drago's past.. Nothing else in the movie bothered me as much as his background information. His flashback didn't make a whole lot of sense and in Drago's case, didn't explain his motivations so well. Drago is not the only one who's lost family and been handicapped by dragons, so why exactly is he specifically so crazy and power mad? It would also be nice if they gave him a little bit more humanity in the third film, it just seems so wrong to have pure evil characters in this franchise that preaches love and understanding.

MissunyNightFury
Escaped from an asylem

Eret
14 Jun 2014, 20:25
All I really, really, really want in the third movie is some more development on Drago's past.. Nothing else in the movie bothered me as much as his background information. His flashback didn't make a whole lot of sense and in Drago's case, didn't explain his motivations so well. Drago is not the only one who's lost family and been handicapped by dragons, so why exactly is he specifically so crazy and power mad? It would also be nice if they gave him a little bit more humanity in the third film, it just seems so wrong to have pure evil characters in this franchise that preaches love and understanding.
Sometimes, there are just people in this world that are pure evil.
"There's something you must remember when riding a dragon. There's no manual, no safety harness, no guarantees when you're on one of these beasts. All you have is the wind in your hair, and the clothes on your back. The only thing between you and that dragon is your saddle. You need to hold onto it for dear life, as that creature takes you the skies. That, is dragon riding."

ToothlessTheUseless
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

Not quite sure how all of the dragons are going to disappear, but what if they do find more Night Furies in the third film and Toothless chooses to stay with them instead of living on Berk with Hiccup? It's a little cheesy, but that's what has been on my mind lately.

orbmanson7
Hatchling

oh, man
well, we'll definitely see the dragons leaving... but i just can't wrap my head around HOW they are gonna pull that off
but i LOVE what nerd said up there--i REALLY wanna see Hiccup get ANGRY
that'd be wonderful~
we also really need some conclusive hiccstrid
there needs to AT LEAST be a wedding, i wouldn't think them having kids is quite in the cards, but it'd be a nice surprise
they just seem to be really carefully tip-toeing this couple in the movies and the show, so i doubt we'll get anything but a wedding with those two as the next step
but i'd love some drama coming from that, too~
SOD Friend Code: ZKVDN
HIJACK <3