Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Httyd 3 Plot Ideas
Topic Started: 06 Sep 2014, 22:56 (12221 Views)
WasBornCrazy
i dont think my avatar is working but ehh

1. Maybe they find a clue or something to Night Furies, but because of their actions, it causes all dragons to 'disappear'?
2. Some kind of death. Sorry guys. I need the sad feels.
3. Upsetting ending. Yeah, again, dragon's vanishing sounds quite sad to me.
4. Like Pikey has said, each of the previous HTTYD movies have had some kind of misfortune with the success.
HTTYD=Lost leg
HTTYD 2=Stoick's death
Maybe HTTYD 3=Dragons' disappearance?
i'm not very active anymore!! it's sad, but i'll come back sometimes to feel nostalgic ahaha
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

HTTYD PT
Gronckle

WasBornCrazy
07 Sep 2014, 02:56
1. Maybe they find a clue or something to Night Furies, but because of their actions, it causes all dragons to 'disappear'?
4. Like Pikey has said, each of the previous HTTYD movies have had some kind of misfortune with the success.
HTTYD=Lost leg
HTTYD 2=Stoick's death

PLZ evrything but disappearance of dragons come on pepole!!!!

Or a war of dragons????

Pikey
Wow!

HTTYD PT RIC
07 Sep 2014, 09:55
PLZ evrything but disappearance of dragons come on pepole!!!!

Or a war of dragons????
Well we need something sad in there, as unfortunate as it might be, it's one of the reasons HTTYD is so good after all. We dealt with Stoick's death, we can deal with more. 8)

Lastandir
Gronckle

WasBornCrazy
HTTYD=Lost leg
HTTYD 2=Stoick's death
1. Definitely. For me Hiccup did not want to find another lands or dragons. He want to find another Night Fury... And he is going to do that in 3rd movie.
2. Nope. HTTYD2 should be the saddest movie in trilogy (according to Dean... ComicCon 2013? I don't remember when and where he said this)
3. I'm sure we will not be disappointed :)
4. Definitely (as long as Dean will stick to the plan)

Nightshade
Monstrous Nightmare

I can see one way they could possibly pull it off xD (this is evil)
When Hiccup is riding Toothless to lead the dragons to safety, he falls off Toothless, and Toothless falls down a steep 3 meters wide crack in the ground, go really far down, and the other dragons follow, everyone dies, Hiccup gets to the crack, looks down, does his usual sad-face and then after 1 day he accepts they're gone and all of berk is fine again.

Pikey
Wow!

Not sure if I'd be more impressed that every single dragon in the entire world fell into this 3 meter wide crack at once and died, or the fact that Hiccup got over it in just one day. :ermm:

DarthBacon
Gronckle

I have a feeling that some dragon is going to get killed...

MartianArchaeologist
Member Avatar
Gronckle

WasBornCrazy
HTTYD=Lost leg
HTTYD 2=Stoick's death
WasBornCrazy: I don't recommend the "growing up" thing. For those who choose it, though, I take comfort in Madeline L'Engle's quote: "The great thing about getting older is that you don't lose all the other ages you've been."

This one's even better, and may give you some insight into where you are:
Spoiler: click to toggle
Back on topic:

About "HTTYD3 Plot Ideas" -- Remember, there's a difference between "plot" and "story". To get a feel for what might be in Movie 3, take a good look at the story and the techniques used to tell it, rather than focusing on plot.

These guys are visual storytellers, and as far as I can see, they are making a highly-structured chiastic tryptich. (Look up the words--it's been a long, long day for me and I'm writing this post to wind down). So one of the things I'd like to do soon is to map out where I've seen the patterns, both inter-movie and intra-movie. I'd like to note the negative space in movie 2, and figure out what its inclusion would signify in movie 3. Then I'd like to extrapolate what "plot" would result in an image or its inverse being in a particular place in movie 3.

You may have noticed that "Famous Last Words" are used as a technique. Stoick says "It takes more than a little fire to kill me." Hiccup says "Toothless. It'll be fine." Later on, the opposite happens. Gobber's is especially interesting, because by the time he says it, the opposite has already happened. "You two are going to get yourselves into trouble someday" and "Nothing can happen to him while he's with the Night Fury" (paraphrasing that)

How about this line of dialog--does it get turned around at the end of Movie 3? "Most people would leave. Not us. We're Vikings. We have stubbornness issues." And yet Vikings are known explorers. Hmm.

As for white space, or something you're expecting to be there when it's not: The dragon flying through the stars at the beginning of Movie 1. What would have to happen to get a night fury to fly through the stars in the opposite direction at the end of Movie 3?

How about Fishlegs' "I'm okay! Less okay...." Everybody's expecting the "Less okay" that never comes. So is Fishlegs possibly going to be "less okay" in movie 3? What happens to Fishlegs?

Or repetition of character development. In Movie 1, the night fury is revealed to be something completely different than the fearsome thing he's built up to be. In Movie 2, the scary person in the costume is revealed to be slightly-loopy Valka. What could be built up and revealed in Movie 3? Small, bluish, pesky, Terrible Terror-like baby dragons that Hiccup shooes away but turn out to be baby Night Furies? (just thinking about what would fit that character pattern)

How about unfinished things that are touched on in each of the two movies and should be resolved? Ruffnut hits on Hiccup in the first movie, then there's the whole unresolved "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" subplot in Movie 2. How does that get resolved?

In chiasmus, you take one idea and then flip it around at a midpoint So first half of the trilogy had Hiccup's father; second had Hiccup's mother. What would flip around the idea of Hiccup and Toothless? Along with that is a delightfully evil thought--In movie one, Dean DeBlois took the old idea of father-son conflict that everybody was groaning about and made it wonderful. In movie two, he took the even more groan-worthy idea of Hiccup's long-lost mom and made it wonderful. Combining these two ideas, what if Dean tries to flip around the idea of Hiccup and Toothless while at the same time taking a shot at the ULTIMATE groanworthy character..... (wait for it .....) The Mary Sue!

And here it is, the ultimate groanworthy Mary Sue fliparound. C'mon, you know what it is, and you don't even need me to write it down: Hiccup is taken as a slave down to Drago's home country where they do dragonfighting like Pokemon dogfights, and he disguises himself as a "Viking small-home repairman." He meets Drago's daughter who is sneaking around training a female night fury to compete in the Pokemon fights and then to go off to conquer the world like her daddy did. Massive groaner, right? But think about it-- what a challenge, to actually pull that off!

(Is it that late already? Must be, for me to actually write down THAT one....)

My apologies for you fanfic writers who already pulled off that one.

P.S. What if at the end, it's Eret's voice-over saying "There used to be dragons in the world--" What would bring that about, eh?

Bed. Now.

MartianArchaeologist
Member Avatar
Gronckle

Up again, but no more logical than last night.

Negative space: Where was Spitelout in the last scene? What if he was looking at the Bewilderbeast with envy instead of fear?

MartianArchaeologist
Member Avatar
Gronckle

Also negative space:

The Black Stallion books made a big impression on me when I was a kid, and were my very favorite, right up to 7th grade, when I found a copy of The Two Towers in the library rack.

You may know that the "Forbidden Friendship" scene was based on the "Black Stallion" movie, but what you probably don't know is that there's a SECOND PART to that scene. And when I imagined that scene in HTTYD3, WOW, a whole bunch of possibilities opened up.

I cross-referenced it to what I read about training elephants: they start when the baby is young, and manacle a leg, chain it, and stake the other end to the ground. The baby elephant fights, and fights for days to get out of that chain. Eventually he gives up. When the elephant is full grown, he can be held by a tiny little chain that the elephant could break easily, but doesn't.

The broken bewilderbeast tusk had that manacle....

And then I got to wondering--How would Hiccup react if someone accused him of deliberately injuring Toothless so that Hiccup could train him? What if, with Toothless's new spines, he can now fly on his own?

And then I thought back to the second half of that scene in "Black Stallion" --