Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
HTTYD3 concerns :-/
Topic Started: 21 Jul 2014, 08:19 (3987 Views)
DarthBacon
Gronckle

Should the release date for HTTYD 3 be pushed back? As of now, its scheduled at june 2016, along with batman v superman, captain america 3 and the amazing spiderman 3. Keeping in mind how httyd 2 fared poorly against the jump street movie, there is no chance for it to survive amongst the other 3 movies.

so what do you all think?

PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Eret
....Son of Eret

dont forget finding dory which comes out on the exact same day

It was up in the air whether dragons or dory would get pushed back, but now that dragons 2 hasn't proven to be a huge box office hit, i'm betting on it being the one to be moved.

DarthBacon
Gronckle

Finding dory? Nemo's sequel? I did'nt know there was going to be one!

This sucks though. No matter how good HTTYD3 is, looks like its destined not to do well :-/

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Honestly, I don't care about the box office figures any more than I care about, say, who wins some random sports competition. It's a point of mild curiosity at best, since it has no effect on me whatsoever. The third film is supposed to be the last (and had better darn well be, but that's another matter), so it's not like the success or lack thereof will affect the franchise.

Now, in terms of whether or not the film will stick to its currently scheduled release date, I think they'll probably push it to more of a September timeframe, when there probably won't be as much direct competition.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

DarthBacon
Gronckle

Thats not my point. What I am saying is that, the movie will end up with way too less amount of screens, and also would be removed from the theatres quickly. In my place, for instance, httyd 2 was removed everywhere for the transformers (which was dreadful, but is still running). That meant I could watch httyd 2 only 3 times. Even now, if I want to watch it, I have to wait till it comes in dvd.

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Okay, that's actually a legitimate concern, and the first one I've heard regarding such things. Still, perhaps we should worry about more important things - namely, whether or not the movie will be good - before we worry about things that are considerably less important in the long-term.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

Eret
....Son of Eret

I know a lot of people like to say that as long as the movie is good then the money it makes doesn't matter, and that's fine. And being a monetary success doesn't always mean a movie is any good (cough a certain michael bay franchise cough). But its dismissive to pretend that box office numbers don't mean anything. They're a good indicator that something is popular and well loved, and for those of us that want to see the httyd movies get the recognition they deserve and not be forgotten about in favor of ten other super popular franchises, box office figures do matter and that's why we discuss it. HTTYD2 is barely being discussed, meanwhile movies like (and I don't mean to be that person that brings these movies up again) Frozen and The Lego Movie are still being talked about months later, and its not because they were both substantially better movies than HTTYD2, because critically they are all on about the same level. They were both box office giants, which means more people went to see them, which means they get talked about more. It may not matter to some people that HTTYD2 isn't getting the same recognition, but it does to some of us, and personally I just don't want to see the third movie go down the same path.

DarthBacon
Gronckle

Exactly. I loved the Lego Movie, but httyd 2 is just god tier when you pit those 2 against each other. It surpasses the lego movie in almost every aspect of consideration. Box office collection does play some sort of role. Think it through from Dean & co's perspective - they gave their heart and soul into this movie,
and successfully gave us a sequel as rich as the original, and to see it disappointing at the box office? That can very well serve as a big discouragement to all those people working on it.

Eret
....Son of Eret

I really liked The Lego Movie, and I'm not resentful at all that its getting so much praise because imo it truly was earned, but I'm still sad that Dragons 2 deserves it just as much but hasn't gotten anywhere near the same reception. But yeah, I totally agree that Dean and everyone else put so much effort and care in to this movie and it makes me sad that its underperforming because people don't want to go and see it. I don't want it to discourage those that worked on the movie and I definitely don't want it to discourage Dreamworks from greenlighting more mature animated films like this in the future because they don't think it sells as well as the lighthearted, goofier stories. :/

Berserk Shieldmaiden
Superior Warriorness

Captain America 3 will be hard to compete with but I'm not sure about Superman V. Batman or Finding Dory.
Man Of Steel was considered a flop and it sounds like everyone is expecting the worst for Batman V Superman. I heard somewhere that they're considering pushing Batman v Superman back because Captain America 3 will destroy it in the box office.
As for Finding Dory, well I don't know about anyone else but it sounds like a total snooze-fest. *Was not impressed with Finding Nemo* A good Disney sequel is kind of rare too.