Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
Probably HTTYD3 [spoilers]
Topic Started: 24 Aug 2014, 02:28 (6299 Views)
HTTYD Astrid
Dragon Egg

I accidentally found this on the website
<HTTYD 3https://www.change.org/p/dreamworks-ani ... n-3#share>
saying
DreamWorks Animation may be planning to permanently separate Hiccup and Toothless at the end of How to Train Your Dragon 3.
Our concern stems from recent statements made by HTTYD writer/director Dean DeBlois.

"...I think what I was really inspired by was Cressida [Cowell]’s ambition to explain what happened to dragons and why we live in a world where they no longer exist. I think it adds a little bit of credibility to them to try to explain that. Did they die out? Did they go into hiding? Did they disappear? What happened? I love the mystery of that and I love the ambition of it. When I think about it, when I think about Hiccup as this grown Viking chief standing on a cliff surrounded by Astrid and everybody else and they’re now staring out over a horizon that’s no longer teeming with dragons. Over that, you hear the opening lines of Cressida’s first book... 'There were dragons when I was a boy'..."

And they need supporters to Sign this petition

So,please if you don't want to HTTYD 3 ended up Hiccup's separating from Toothless
Please sign your name on the website above
Just for the friendship between a viking and dragon!
:D :hiccup: :toothless:
And they need 198 more supporters
Go and Sign your name!
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

dragons_ind
My avatar just got 20% Cooler

I already signed this looooong time ago. About 2-3 weeks after global premiere. I was hoping for 4 chapters, or 3 chapters divided into 2 parts.

But if they really want to end everything in HTTYD3, please Dean, if you read this, please give us the best ending or the saddest ending in computer animation history. Make me crying everytime i watch this in the future and hope that HTTYD will be the best animation franchise of all time!
Ninety-nine buckets of fireworms on the wall, ninety-nine buckets of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got ninety-eight buckets of fireworms on the wall....................... Forty-one buckets of fireworms on the wall, forty-one buckets of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got forty buckets of fireworms on the wall..........- one bucket of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got zero buckets of fireworms on the waaaaaaaaaallllllllllllll.

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Um, if you're making a film series (or any sort of long-running work of fiction) about a particular friendship, isn't it logical to end the series with the end of the friendship, one way or another? Anything else, and you're just left with the case of, "Why end it here?", and, much worse, "Why even bother having sequels if you're not going to give us a more conclusive ending than the original film?" The latter is particularly relevant for HTTYD, given that the original film had no loose ends (indeed, it's one of the film's strengths).

If you want an example of this sort of ending working, just look at Toy Story 3. It gave pretty much the only ending that would have been satisfying, and it does it by separating the toys from Andy.

Of course, if nothing else, at least a conclusive ending with HTTYD 3 will minimise the chances of the franchise being whored out with sequel after sequel until it's left a shadow of its former self. As a fan of The Land Before Time, I've had more than enough to that.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

LawOfTheSeas
Defender of Insanity and Master of Apologies

You see? This is the reason I wrote the so-called self-satisfying end to the franchise. Because I will be distraught if this happens.

However, that said, I will not sign the petition. I have considered it many times, but I have always gone up to nearly clicking it, then stopping and thinking about it.

Now, it's not like my vote will make any difference. Unless it is really on a knife's edge, then me taking part or not is of no consequence. 100 more people will either do it or not, and there is nothing I can do about it.

But for me, it is a question of what I really want.

In a superficial sense, the answer is simple. I want Hiccup and Toothless to be happy. Because then the fandom will be happy that the series has ended on a high note, and we can all go home feeling like the fantastical adventures of HTTYD can still go on.

But what do I really want? What should we really want?

The fact that we are part of this fandom says something - that we trust the writers, namely Dean DeBlois, to write a good story. And a rollicking ride of adventure he has written so far!

But for him to write a good story, he needs to have the freedom to play with our emotions. If he wants us happy, we can be happy. If he wants us sad, we can be sad. It's the joy of writing for an audience.

But even by looking at what we have already, we can see beyond any doubt that Dean DeBlois is a ruthless man when it comes to writing for emotion. Less so in the first film, but in the second film, we could really see a happy ending, with Stoick, Hiccup and Valka together, at last, one family. And what happens? Stoick of all people is killed off. And what did we feel then? We felt sad. Gobber's eulogy was a tearjerker, the idea of being sent off to Valhalla as a glorious warrior appealed to our sense of love towards Stoick, with whom we have had a roller coaster of emotion with already. But it proved to us one thing - that the story must come first.

And so we come to HTTYD 3. There are so many possible ways in which it could end. It could end happy, but bittersweet, it could be heroic and grandiose, or it could be terrifyingly sad, with an ending which will send a shock wave of emotion through time to any who become super-fans like us.

Now, I'm not saying I want them to be separated. I'm not saying that one or the other should die (but if I had to choose, Hiccup can die... Come on, who can resist this face? :'( ) and I'm not saying that no matter what we should have a painfully sad ending. But what I am saying is this: let writers be writers, and we shall get a far better story than any we could hope to get by petitions, and limiting what they can do. Because at the end of the day, which would you really prefer? To be reasonably happy with an okay scene? Or to be distraught with a scene which will go down in movie history?
I HAVE RETURNED!

Did you miss me?

dragons_ind
My avatar just got 20% Cooler

LawOfTheSeas
24 Aug 2014, 12:29
Spoiler: click to toggle
You're right, just kill me already :(

Ninety-nine buckets of fireworms on the wall, ninety-nine buckets of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got ninety-eight buckets of fireworms on the wall....................... Forty-one buckets of fireworms on the wall, forty-one buckets of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got forty buckets of fireworms on the wall..........- one bucket of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got zero buckets of fireworms on the waaaaaaaaaallllllllllllll.

SilaNightFury
Lemon Guru and Cloudjumper Fangirl~

(Facedragon) oh * not this thing again..... No. Just no. I refuse to sign this because I feel it is disrespectful to try and force the hands of the animators. Will I be devistated if Hiccup and Toothless are separated. yes. Will I be unable to function for the rest if my life if they kill Toothless? Yes, very much so. But I've should NOT jump to conclusions. And say I'm not a fan of Dragons, disagree with me wholeheartedly, but this is my option.
^_^

Dragon's Apprentice
Mr. Potato Sandwich

stahp.
"I was so afraid of becoming my dad. Mostly because I thought I never could. How do you become someone that great, that brave, that selfless? I guess you can only try."</3

dorcas18
Dragon Egg

I choose to give the creators of httyd all the freedom they need to finish the final chapter, even though they may be heading towards ripping the hearts of httyd fans. Just promise me that it would be the perfect finale to this amazing triology that would be forever named in the legacy of animation history.
Every bucket is unique, observe and you will see~

BerserkDragon
antisocial british nerd with a youtube channel

Obviously I don't want them to get separated, but if it has to happen, I want it to be for a good reason and for what I wrote in my oneshot (Two Alphas) to happen. I'd be happy with that ending.

Not signing because, like others, I don't want to force Dean to write something he doesn't want to write. Plus, the film is based on the books, and it's right for the films to end like the books do.
Me? An otaku? Pfff.

Yes I do like dragons if you're wondering. Doesn't seem like it from my profile pic n signature, I know, but I do.

Dragon's Apprentice
Mr. Potato Sandwich

shtahp shtahp shtahp.
"I was so afraid of becoming my dad. Mostly because I thought I never could. How do you become someone that great, that brave, that selfless? I guess you can only try."</3