Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Release date shifted
Topic Started: 02 Sep 2014, 19:37 (5431 Views)
Berserk Shieldmaiden
Superior Warriorness

Just hope I don't lose interest and switch fandoms by then.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Eret
....Son of Eret

Incoming rant:

I'm SO angry about this. I'm angry about Disney/Pixar shamelessly taking the original release date, I'm angry that Dreamworks picked JUNE 2017 of all months as their backup plan, and I'm angry that theres absolutely no way that Dragons 3 can compete with the lego movie 2, a pixar movie, AND despicable me 3. Dragons 2 couldn't even manage to meet the domestic numbers of the first movie with zero animated competition. The tickets are going to be split for all four of them, but Dragons will be by far the most adversely affected, especially domestically. Just... WHAT were you thinking Dreamworks? They should have gone back to a spring release and just accepted that summer is not going to work. Who knows if this even means they'll have longer to work on it or if they'll just start production later anyway? And if it does end up significantly increasing the quality of the film, it sucks even more that its going to inevitably end up doing poorly at the box office. And before somebody responds with the typical "well if the movie is good then why does it matter if it doesn't make a lot of money?" it matters to me and it matters to dreamworks and, yes, unfortunately it matters when it comes down to award season. Sorry, I'm just really disappointed by this news. I'll get over it eventually but ugh.

thescienceofmagic
Hairy Hooligan

Eret
02 Sep 2014, 23:44
Incoming rant:

I'm SO angry about this. I'm angry about Disney/Pixar shamelessly taking the original release date, I'm angry that Dreamworks picked JUNE 2017 of all months as their backup plan, and I'm angry that theres absolutely no way that Dragons 3 can compete with the lego movie 2, a pixar movie, AND despicable me 3. Dragons 2 couldn't even manage to meet the domestic numbers of the first movie with zero animated competition. The tickets are going to be split for all four of them, but Dragons will be by far the most adversely affected, especially domestically. Just... WHAT were you thinking Dreamworks? They should have gone back to a spring release and just accepted that summer is not going to work. Who knows if this even means they'll have longer to work on it or if they'll just start production later anyway? And if it does end up significantly increasing the quality of the film, it sucks even more that its going to inevitably end up doing poorly at the box office. And before somebody responds with the typical "well if the movie is good then why does it matter if it doesn't make a lot of money?" it matters to me and it matters to dreamworks and, yes, unfortunately it matters when it comes down to award season. Sorry, I'm just really disappointed by this news. I'll get over it eventually but ugh.
Woah woah woah what makes you think it can't compete with those films? HTTYD2 has already trumped the The Lego Movie this year, why would it not be able to do so again? Plus this year for example it has Big Hero 6 and The Boxtrolls to compete with, yet it's already done pretty darn well. Ok maybe it wont win all the awards, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been successful. It's just the same scenario for 2017, and I believe it will do just as well.
Yes, I'm a bit angry at Disney for taking the same release day and forcing DreamWorks out, but I'm not going to direct that anger to DreamWorks for trying to save their movie. Sure, they could have picked a better month, but that doesn't mean it's going to flop completely. The movies it's facing in 2017 aren't half of the competition of what Finding Dory would be (imo) and they made a good decision considering the circumstance.

"I'm not a fan of quoting other people in signatures, especially when they aren't funny." -Zer0x 2014

Pikey
Wow!

It does look like a lot of competition, I do really hope they both find good time to work on the movie and a good release that it deserves... :ermm:

Eret
....Son of Eret

thescienceofmagic
02 Sep 2014, 23:59
Eret
02 Sep 2014, 23:44
Incoming rant:

Woah woah woah what makes you think it can't compete with those films? HTTYD2 has already trumped the The Lego Movie this year, why would it not be able to do so again? Plus this year for example it has Big Hero 6 and The Boxtrolls to compete with, yet it's already done pretty darn well. Ok maybe it wont win all the awards, but that doesn't mean it hasn't been successful. It's just the same scenario for 2017, and I believe it will do just as well.
Yes, I'm a bit angry at Disney for taking the same release day and forcing DreamWorks out, but I'm not going to direct that anger to DreamWorks for trying to save their movie. The movies it's facing in 2017 aren't half of the competition of what Finding Dory would be (imo) and they made a better decision considering the circumstance.

The lego movie did extremely well. It made 257 million domestically (around 75million more than dragons 2) and nearly 500 million worldwide. Thats fantastic. Its basically the same story as dragons 1. Except I really can't see Lego 2 going down the same path that Dragons 2 did.

Big Hero 6 and The Boxtrolls are coming out way after Dragons leaves the theater in almost every single country worldwide, so thats not even relevant.

This 2017 scenario is way, way worse than 2014's and nearly as bad as 2016. Dragons 2 had NO animated competition and the only childrens film competition was from Planes (negligible) and Maleficent (released the month earlier), yet it still didn't meet the most pessimistic expectations. $600 million is nothing to scoff at but its not what anyone was predicting, and its domestic numbers were really not great at all. A better decision would have been to go back to a March release date. This was just foolish.

HiccupxAstrid123
Member Avatar
Gronckle

The Norse Nerd
02 Sep 2014, 22:45
*Look at this post*

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

I CAN'T WAIT THREE MORE YEARS!!!!!
If I have to wait three more YEARS, I will DIE!!! :hiccup: <3 :astrid:
HICCSTRID IS SOOOO CUTE

Pikey
Wow!

Good thing there's always the new seasons coming out in between that 3 year wait then, maybe you'll just survive long enough. :P

Tessem7
Dragon Trainer

I respect the fact that they're pushing back the movie. It will let Dreamworks work on it longer and make it absolutely perfect.

However, I only saw the first HTTYD this spring (March I think?) and it was hell waiting just a few months until June when HTTYD2 came out. Now I (and everyone else) have to wait three years. At least the show should tie me over somewhat. I just hope it isn't as cheesy as the first two seasons.
"Thank you for summing that up."

Dan_Oceans
What do I put here again?

Honestly, I don't see much of a bad thing in the fact that they pushed the date back.
"can you hear the birds sing? saying go the f*** to sleep (to the sound of les mis)"
Spoiler: click to toggle

gmarvin112
Member Avatar
Hatchling

"Continues the story where the sequel leaves off."
So does that mean there won't be a time skip?