Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Where did Drago come from?
Topic Started: 04 Sep 2014, 18:48 (4217 Views)
MartianArchaeologist
Member Avatar
Gronckle

Where in Europe do you think Drago came from? He's a Slav, but Slavs occupied a huge area in a long time span.

If this has been discussed, can you post me some linkies? Thanks!
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

MrBungle
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

Slav, like Putin?

Pikey
Wow!

I couldn't tell you from looking at him, just looks too evil to really pinpoint an actual life. :P

LawOfTheSeas
Defender of Insanity and Master of Apologies

Drago is a Serbian or Croatian name (meaning 'dear one') which is short for Dragan.

However, both the words 'blood' and 'fist' are Germanic in origin, so either (as is often, sadly, the case in HTTYD) they rejected historical and linguistic viability, or he is descended from Austrians who crossed the border into Slavonia, Croatia or Serbia and settled, only paternally being German.

Now, considering that HTTYD is supposed to have taken place around 1010 (as revealed in the Winter Olympic shorts) we can assume that HTTYD 2 takes place in about 1015, since it is 5 years after. That means that he probably would be from the Kingdom of Croatia, the only independent South Slavic Kingdom at the time. He probably made his way North on Venetian merchant vessels, going all the way up to Suðreyjar, Iceland or some other heavily Norse-based area. This is where he comes into the film, developed kleptomania and an obsession with dragons, and settled down... By making an army. Fun.

EDIT: Just noticed how I have kinda hone off on my obsessions of history and language. I just hope the info is useful.
I HAVE RETURNED!

Did you miss me?

Pikey
Wow!

Well that's way more in-depth than I'll ever think about in this topic, though I don't really think we be troubled over it being historically inaccurate, it is about dragons after all.

Tessem7
Dragon Trainer

Pikey
05 Sep 2014, 17:30
Well that's way more in-depth than I'll ever think about in this topic, though I don't really think we be troubled over it being historically inaccurate, it is about dragons after all.
Dragons exist! They steal your sheep! Only the white ones though. What's with that?
"Thank you for summing that up."

Pikey
Wow!

Tessem7
05 Sep 2014, 17:37
Dragons exist! They steal your sheep! Only the white ones though. What's with that?
At least I get to keep the black ones, they're worth 10 times the points after all. :P

StaticTheSkrill
The Skrill of all Skrills...

Actually I think he is (or at least most of his troops are) asian. Because in the scene where Eret and the gang arrive on Drago's boat, some soldiers call out and they sound a bit asian.

EDIT: Also he looks Very similar to the villain in Mulan. Which takes place in china...
Ryuu ga waga teki wo kurau!

VeloYourSwaggyDragon
I am... swaggy

StaticTheSkrill
05 Sep 2014, 21:08
Actually I think he is (or at least most of his troops are) asian. Because in the scene where Eret and the gang arrive on Drago's boat, some soldiers call out and they sound a bit asian.

EDIT: Also he looks Very similar to the villain in Mulan. Which takes place in china...
Perhaps he is a Mongol?
If that's an obsurd answer, please forgive me, I'm not thoroughly educated about this time period.

LawOfTheSeas
Defender of Insanity and Master of Apologies

Pikey
05 Sep 2014, 17:30
Mhmmmhmhmmhmhdragonsmhmmhmhm... :ermm:

I suppose you are right. They weren't going for historical (or even probably geographic) accuracy. But still.
I HAVE RETURNED!

Did you miss me?