Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Should Dreamworks shift HTTYD3's release date
Topic Started: 29 Feb 2016, 15:16 (2481 Views)
AandHfan110
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

I was looking at films coming out in June 2018 and July 2018 and noticed that HTTYD3 is being released at I feel is a bad time for it to be released with what films are being released before and after it. Toy Story 4 is being released two weeks before HTYYD3, the sequel to Jarassic World is being released a week before HTTYD3, and a Disney Marvel film is being released a week after HTTYD3. Considering that two of the films are Disney films, and the other is a sequel to Jurassic World which was a box office success, I feel HTTYD3 will not fare well if it stays at it's current release date. I believe it needs to be pushed back to early in August so it will not have to face such tough competition. I want HTTYD3 to do well at the box office and I feel a slight shift of its release date is necessary, and something Dreamworks needs to do.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Demonwolf002
Lone Dragon

I'd say changing the release date for HTTYD3 isn't high up on dreamworks priority list right now. First they need to actually get the movie finished then worry about when would be the optimal time to release. Keep in mind this is something that is still two years away (unfortunately) any of the movies you listed or in fact all of them can easily be pushed back themselves or have their release dates changed for any number of other reasons.(as could HTTYD3 to) No point in preemptively moving your movie back until it's closer to release, for example most movies won't move release dates until at most year before release(usually you'll see it come at around the 6-4 month range). That way you can more easily tell and see what exactly is more than likely going to come out at the same time as your movie and adjust accordingly.
See you in the skies Dragon Rider!

The Dragon Root:Thing what I wrote.

Is Toothless Evil? :Me possibly being crazy, but fun.

The BerkCast The HTTYD podcast, you should listen.

KentuckyWildcat
Raw Vikingness

In addition to the very valid points Demonwolf002 made, I'm not sure that moving the film out of a June-July slot would be a good move for marketing. HTTYD 3 is almost certainly going to be looking to children as one of the main audiences, so it makes the most sense to release it at a time when they'll all be out of school which won't be the case by August.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.

Toothless the nightfury
Deadly Nadder

lets hope disney dont do the same thing

Puff
Keep smiling.
:)

Toothless the nightfury
01 Mar 2016, 23:34
lets hope disney dont do the same thing
Disney is already doing it with Toy Story 4.
Blender is my <3 (my CGI thread)

If you need anything, feel free to PM me

Fearless Hungarian Hofferson
Dragon Egg

Yes. When I heard Toy Story 4’s release date will be 2 weeks before HTTYD 3, I got pretty sad and a bit angry.

I have a conspiracy theory in my mind, that Pixar did this intentionally, because they know Dreamworks will do everything not only to make HTTYD3 very good, (it must have to surpass the second film, (which also received very well)) but also to be a worthy finale. So we (and they) can anticipate that it’s going to be a blast (if everything goes well). By releasing TS4 two weeks before HTTYD 3, I think that is a pretty nasty (and a bit trollish) move from Pixar. The audience is almost the same, so it will definitely stole some light away from the 3rd Dragons movie (and a good amount of money).

But that is just speculation. I agree with Demonwolf002. Anything can happen during that time. Maybe Dreamworks change the release to an earlier date, so Toy Story and the other movies won’t interfere much. But that also means that, they have less time to make the best Dragons movie possible, without doing it for the expense of quality. I heard that there are hard times now at Dreamworks, but If they do well, and Dragons 3 will be a success (even with such competitors), it will be a well-deserved victory for them, and a chance to get financially more stable.

So that’s my opinion about the subject. (And sorry if my english isn’t that good, but I think you’ll get the point.)

P.S.: (I don’t know how things are exactly now at Dreamworks, so correct me if I had been misinformed about something). Oh, and don’t take this post too seriously, I’m just speculating.
Also knows as Mr.NightFury on Berk's Commentvine
Toothless addict
HTTYD is love, HTTYD is life!

Puff
Keep smiling.
:)

04 Mar 2016, 12:55
Yes. When I heard Toy Story 4’s release date will be 2 weeks before HTTYD 3, I got pretty sad and a bit angry.

I have a conspiracy theory in my mind, that Pixar did this intentionally, because they know Dreamworks will do everything not only to make HTTYD3 very good, (it must have to surpass the second film, (which also received very well)) but also to be a worthy finale. So we (and they) can anticipate that it’s going to be a blast (if everything goes well). By releasing TS4 two weeks before HTTYD 3, I think that is a pretty nasty (and a bit trollish) move from Pixar. The audience is almost the same, so it will definitely stole some light away from the 3rd Dragons movie (and a good amount of money).

But that is just speculation. I agree with Demonwolf002. Anything can happen during that time. Maybe Dreamworks change the release to an earlier date, so Toy Story and the other movies won’t interfere much. But that also means that, they have less time to make the best Dragons movie possible, without doing it for the expense of quality. I heard that there are hard times now at Dreamworks, but If they do well, and Dragons 3 will be a success (even with such competitors), it will be a well-deserved victory for them, and a chance to get financially more stable.

So that’s my opinion about the subject. (And sorry if my english isn’t that good, but I think you’ll get the point.)

P.S.: (I don’t know how things are exactly now at Dreamworks, so correct me if I had been misinformed about something). Oh, and don’t take this post too seriously, I’m just speculating.
It's business. You try to eliminate your competition. In that aspect, placing Toy Story 4, a completely unnecessary movie from a famous (more famous AND older than HTTYD)) series, is a good strategic move. I'm not sure if DWA has enough resources to fight in that kind of competition. Plus, if they release HTTYD3 early, they risk it might not raise as much money as it could suffer from the same thing as the first two films (the endings). That would most likely also mean the end of DWA.

The only viable option for DWA is to make HTTYD3 a nearly flawless movie that will make every hater's jaw drop to the floor. I have doubts they will succeed at that though, considering the endings of the first two movies.

How should success be measured anyway? By the amount of $$$ in the profit box, or by percentage of target audience you managed to satisfy?
Blender is my <3 (my CGI thread)

If you need anything, feel free to PM me

Demonwolf002
Lone Dragon

Puff
04 Mar 2016, 17:11
04 Mar 2016, 12:55

It's business. You try to eliminate your competition. In that aspect, placing Toy Story 4, a completely unnecessary movie from a famous (more famous AND older than HTTYD)) series, is a good strategic move.
While I'm not going to sit here and say companies don't do this(I'm sure companies have done this before in the past and will in the future to), and that this isn't what has happened here. I will say keep in mind both of these movies target audiences are younger kids.(Though with Toy Story 4 they may also be targeting the parents of those kids to considering) So it makes sense for them to release around that same summer June-July time frame. It's definitely a business decision to release in that time frame to get the biggest portion of their target audience, and while screwing over DW is a benefit I'm sure the decision wasn't solely made on that basis.
Puff
I'm not sure if DWA has enough resources to fight in that kind of competition. Plus, if they release HTTYD3 early, they risk it might not raise as much money as it could suffer from the same thing as the first two films (the endings). That would most likely also mean the end of DWA.
HTTYD3 would have to be one major bomb in order for it end DW. A bomb that would require everyone who works on that project to just flat out lose their minds in order for it to happen. While I'm more than happy to point out what I feel are the flaws of the first and second movies since they're most certainly not perfect. I don't think either movie can be considered bad by any stretch of the word. So for the third movie to be that bad the creators would just have to lose their collective minds. It's possible sure but I don't think everyone who works at DW is that fond of Dragon Nip. :P
I'm also fairly certain knowing that HTTYD3 will be of at the very least good quality, DW releasing two weeks after Toy Story 4 won't eat into their profits so severely that it kills the company either. Now DW might (when it's much closer to release) decide from a financial stand point that it's more viable to move the release date either forward or backward, but as I said it's just not something we'll be hearing about anytime soon.
See you in the skies Dragon Rider!

The Dragon Root:Thing what I wrote.

Is Toothless Evil? :Me possibly being crazy, but fun.

The BerkCast The HTTYD podcast, you should listen.

hcsp1
My only master is the free wind

Looking into it, "Toy Story 4" isn't the only competition HTTYD 3 might have to face, considering the fact a month before this we have "Avengers Infinity War Part 1" which will most likely continue to make money in June. If that's no enough, a month after we'll have "Ant-Man and the Wasp", which might not track as much audiance as the other MCU movie I mentioned, but it will track some regardless...

But like a lot of people say, nothing is for certain yet. We have at least 2 years until that long-awaited summer and who knows what could happen until then? Maybe a release date will change by a bit, maybe one of the other films I mentioned will get delayed.

This wait is killing me...

Dragon Egg

Puff
It's business. You try to eliminate your competition. In that aspect, placing Toy Story 4, a completely unnecessary movie from a famous (more famous AND older than HTTYD)) series, is a good strategic move. I'm not sure if DWA has enough resources to fight in that kind of competition. Plus, if they release HTTYD3 early, they risk it might not raise as much money as it could suffer from the same thing as the first two films (the endings). That would most likely also mean the end of DWA.

The only viable option for DWA is to make HTTYD3 a nearly flawless movie that will make every hater's jaw drop to the floor. I have doubts they will succeed at that though, considering the endings of the first two movies.

How should success be measured anyway? By the amount of $$$ in the profit box, or by percentage of target audience you managed to satisfy?
I’m aware of that in the background, it’s all about the money and business, and in business there is no friendship*, but I really don’t like to think about HTTYD as a franchise or as a merchandise item. (For me there is McDonalds, Starbucks etc. for that). I like to keep that innocent way of thinking of HTTYD, that it’s really about to show how strong friendship can be, and just because there is a war between two races that is lasting for hundreds of years, that doesn’t mean it have to be like that forever, or there must be another ways to end the war, apart from that one race wins the war by completely annihilating the other. Furthermore it’s very special to me, because it’s the only movie, that really managed to capture my heart and care for the characters (especially Toothless <3).

But let’s get back to business. I have an example why I don’t like how this money oriented business model works in this field.
If let’s say Dreamworks and Pixar get bankrupt (probably won’t happen, but let’s just pretend) and only Disney could make big blockbuster animated movies, I think that would be very unfortunate outcome, because they will become monopole and the movies they will produce from now on, will very quickly degrade in terms of creativity and originality. Because, why bother to make something new, when you are the only one in the market (sequels for everyone!). Also, I doubt they’re gonna risk their reputation and profit on a very new idea, (even if it’s really good and original) ‘cause what if it turn out to be a bomb. (Like they did it on SW7, they had the chance to make it a very unique and new universe, but no… they played safe and made (mostly) a remake about the 4,5,6 movies, because everyone loved it in the past).

So I think rivalry (of course in a peaceful way) is very healthy and necessary in this field. It’s a great motivator for the creators to come up with new, innovative ideas. (Like in the space program between USA and USSR back in the 60’s). And this is the reason why we started to watch movies in the first place. They took us from our bleak reality to worlds that we haven’t seen yet, and (probably) never will. They original purpose was to entertain us, to enrich and capture our imaginations, not to satisfy some anticipated chart data, and indexes or to fulfill expected pre-calculated rating intervals by throwing old well-established formulas and clichés up to another that probably work on certain demography or some crap like that. But it seems that, this is like how business works today.

*(Originally I wanted to include that line in my last comment, but then I decided to not to. My bad).

P.S.: I don’t want to argue, it’s just my opinion again. (Maybe I went a little too deep, and pessimistic about how I think the movie industry is working today, but in reality I don’t think the situation is that bad, but if it is, I really hope there is light at the end of the tunnel.)

Also knows as Mr.NightFury on Berk's Commentvine
Toothless addict
HTTYD is love, HTTYD is life!