Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Dreamworks potentially for sale?
Topic Started: 30 Sep 2014, 02:31 (4398 Views)
Pikey
Wow!

You know you want those repeat morals, musical moments AND ON TOP OF ALL THAT: the lovely idea that the hero gets whatever they need to be a hero. :) I don't see a single problem!
im lying
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

KentuckyWildcat
Raw Vikingness

I'm officially submitting a Grapevine sibling to Godwin's Law which states that as threads get longer, the probability of Disney bashing approaches 1. I'm open to suggestions for what to call it.

More directly related to the topic at hand, any potential sale doesn't look very likely to affect the company's creative direction since Katzenburg isn't actually looking to step aside. The odds of it jeopardizing HTTYD 3 are even slimmer since that's likely one of the more attractive projects that DreamWorks would have to offer to a potential buyer.

Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.

Pakba
Member Avatar
Terrible Terror

Cartoon Freak
29 Sep 2014, 15:11
After that, they can turn Dreamworks into a CGI hentai studio for all I care.
wtf?!

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Pakba
01 Oct 2014, 01:54
Cartoon Freak
wtf?!
To put it simply, I really don't care what Dreamworks does after the HTTYD franchise finishes (which hopefully it will do after the third movie). The idea of them becoming a hentai studio (and if you don't know what hentai is, then you're probably better off that way) is obviously an extreme example, but I legitimately wouldn't care if it happened.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

RealHousewifeofBerk
"You don't know this yet, but people need you."
<3

SplashTheScauldron
29 Sep 2014, 18:11
The Norse Nerd
29 Sep 2014, 17:21
Night fury fire
29 Sep 2014, 16:36
As long as disney dont buy it I'm ok....
THAT WOULD BE A NIGHTMARE
:O Just kill me now if dat happens!
MADAGASCAR 4: THE MUSICAL :X
My other fandoms summed up in gifs:

"You have the heart of a Hiro and the soul of a Tadashi."

Pikey
Wow!

RealHousewifeofBerk
01 Oct 2014, 11:53
SplashTheScauldron
29 Sep 2014, 18:11
The Norse Nerd
29 Sep 2014, 17:21
THAT WOULD BE A NIGHTMARE
:O Just kill me now if dat happens!
MADAGASCAR 4: THE MUSICAL :X
I don't know if it's a good thing that Madagascar 4 is a thing anyway...

landyy
Member Avatar
Dragon Egg

Im just hoping Dreamworks makes a movie about the boy fishing on the moon then they can just end the franchise right there.

Estae
Dragons!

landyy
01 Oct 2014, 23:00
Im just hoping Dreamworks makes a movie about the boy fishing on the moon then they can just end the franchise right there.
Honestly, that would be absolutely heartbreaking but also a very bittersweet and appropriate ending at the same time.
Way to go killing my heart. :'(

On topic - I'm not very familiar with the current DWA owner, but if anything happens at all, I just hope that the creativity and selection for movies does not get touched. I remember back when I was 7 or 8 years old- my favorite movie then was a Dreamworks original (Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, anyone?). Now 11 years later, my favorite movie(s) are still produced by Dreamworks.

To me, I feel like the animation production as a whole carries a certain kind of.. uniqueness, that is extremely hard to find elsewhere. Which is not a surprise, as they aren't mainstream-directed movies. They're not made explicatly to make money like Disney movies are nowadays - no, DWA movies are made to entertain an audience with an encaptivating story - which is what movies are really supposed to be doing anyways. And outside buyers and influencers could intentionally inflict some serious damage onto this creative-necessity, simply because from an economic standpoint Dreamworks is not doing as well as it should. Any investor would see it as a good move to transform Dreamworks to adobt a more "Disney-like" production plan to create more revenue. Any reasonably logical customer would instantly revolt at the idea - for originalities' and entertainments' sake.

-dragon-racers on tumblr *Not a spoiler-free blog.

dragons_ind
My avatar just got 20% Cooler

Estae
03 Oct 2014, 01:22
landyy
01 Oct 2014, 23:00
Honestly, that would be absolutely heartbreaking but also a very bittersweet and appropriate ending at the same time.
Way to go killing my heart. :'(

On topic - I'm not very familiar with the current DWA owner, but if anything happens at all, I just hope that the creativity and selection for movies does not get touched. I remember back when I was 7 or 8 years old- my favorite movie then was a Dreamworks original (Spirit: Stallion of the Cimarron, anyone?). Now 11 years later, my favorite movie(s) are still produced by Dreamworks.

To me, I feel like the animation production as a whole carries a certain kind of.. uniqueness, that is extremely hard to find elsewhere. Which is not a surprise, as they aren't mainstream-directed movies. They're not made explicatly to make money like Disney movies are nowadays - no, DWA movies are made to entertain an audience with an encaptivating story - which is what movies are really supposed to be doing anyways. And outside buyers and influencers could intentionally inflict some serious damage onto this creative-necessity, simply because from an economic standpoint Dreamworks is not doing as well as it should. Any investor would see it as a good move to transform Dreamworks to adobt a more "Disney-like" production plan to create more revenue. Any reasonably logical customer would instantly revolt at the idea - for originalities' and entertainments' sake.
Yeah! Dreamworks make movies to entertain the audience, not just to make some money. And yes, DW have it's own uniqueness, just like the stories, for me, are more suitable for teens and adults. While Disney uniqueness is they made movies for all audience, but (for me) is more suitable for kids, rather than teens. I'm a former Disney fan, but after found DWA and got a new style of story, i almost instantly change from Disney to DWA.

Back to topic, I agree with you! :) As long as the story and creativity doesn't get touched, i will be okay. But i'm a little worried of the future of DWA if they accept this decision, like i don't want they make story with japanese style, like anime nowadays (which are sucks!, except for very few of them).

Ninety-nine buckets of fireworms on the wall, ninety-nine buckets of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got ninety-eight buckets of fireworms on the wall....................... Forty-one buckets of fireworms on the wall, forty-one buckets of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got forty buckets of fireworms on the wall..........- one bucket of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got zero buckets of fireworms on the waaaaaaaaaallllllllllllll.

Eret
....Son of Eret

Cartoon Freak
01 Oct 2014, 11:23
Pakba
01 Oct 2014, 01:54
Cartoon Freak
wtf?!
To put it simply, I really don't care what Dreamworks does after the HTTYD franchise finishes (which hopefully it will do after the third movie). The idea of them becoming a hentai studio (and if you don't know what hentai is, then you're probably better off that way) is obviously an extreme example, but I legitimately wouldn't care if it happened.
Good for you.