Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Interview with Dean about HTTYD3
Topic Started: 16 Oct 2014, 21:56 (6636 Views)
Lastandir
Gronckle

http://collider.com/how-to-train-your-d ... -spinoffs/
So... Movie (more) about dragons (especially Toothless!), more Drago (as i expected) and probably no 4th part :toothless:
Quote:

“I’m also playing with the idea of what happened to the dragons and why they are no more, as suggested by Cressida Cowell’s books. So the whole mystery of where did they go? Did they come back? What transpired? I think it’s all compelling stuff and it’s definitely a story that’s gonna have a lot more Toothless emphasis in it. We continue to get more insight into the dragon world and shed light on their intelligence and all the aspects that we’ve been slowly cooking over the last two films.”
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Oneill5491
Terrible Terror

I was intrigued by the mention of potential spinoffs.

Not sure how you would do that though. Anything in the dragons franchise has to have Hiccup and Toothless for it to work otherwise it would be a let down.

What do you guys think would be good spinoff ideas (even if you hate the idea of a spinoff).

Pakba
Member Avatar
Terrible Terror

Oneill5491
17 Oct 2014, 02:13
I was intrigued by the mention of potential spinoffs.

Not sure how you would do that though. Anything in the dragons franchise has to have Hiccup and Toothless for it to work otherwise it would be a let down.

What do you guys think would be good spinoff ideas (even if you hate the idea of a spinoff).
Gustav...LOL

Lastandir
Gronckle

Spinoffs... For me probably more new adventures in world of HTTYD... but even not only on Berk, but somewhere else with totally new main characters.
Maybe Eret? Or his henchmen/village?
But for sure more spinoffs we should expect after HTTYD 3 when the whole story will be closed :D

KentuckyWildcat
Raw Vikingness

That was a pretty informative read to be so far from the movie's completion and release. My takeaways:

1. Kudos to Dean for apparently convincing Katzenburg and the front office to let the story end at three movies. This is great news for me, and I really hope this decision stands.

2. I'm not actually sure that any confirmation of Drago's return is in there. He was really non-specific in the way he talked about the "antagonistic story" and how this movie will feature a "much more compelling force of antagonism" without ever actually using the name Drago or even a word like "he" or "him". Is he saying that Drago will get better characterization this time around, or that he has an idea for a new villain who he feels will blow Drago out of the water? Neither conclusion is unreasonable from his quote.

3. I'm not sure how I feel about the increased focus on Toothless and dragons yet. I'm in the minority who thinks that the story is at its strongest when if focuses on Hiccup. Beyond that, answering the mysteries of a universe too concretely can actually backfire if those answers end up disappointing the fanbase. Sometimes letting characters like Toothless keep a certain aura of mystery about them is a good thing. This is a potential area of concern for me, but it's way too early to pass any judgement on the plot.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.

hcsp1
My only master is the free wind

I'm glad that they decided to end on the 3rd one, that way we can have a true ending and not something like "The End...?"

As for a spin-off, I liked what DreamWorks did with "Puss In Boots" for the Shrek films(Minus the third act) so I wouldn't mind seeing a character getting their own spin off. I think Valka will be great for it; seeing how her life went after Cloud-Jumper took her to the nest. That way it can be related to the franchise, but also be something of its own like "Puss In Boots" sort of was. I would watch that...

draco
mystery dragon, pic drawn by night fury fire. Thank you :)

Very interesting interview.

What I find interesting is him talking about hiccups life coming full circle. And the focus being on the dragons, especially toothless.

I'm hoping we will get the story of toothless' past also.
Dragons, need I say more.

Hiccup, chief of berc, dragon master.
Toothless, alpha dragon.
You and me bud we can do this, as one.
It's just a zipple misunderstanding
I like a pit, but I love a boar pit.
i am hurt,I am very much hurt.

dragons_ind
My avatar just got 20% Cooler

I hope it will be an epic closing triology, and Dean's hope for it will be placed along with LOTR and Star Wars comes true.
Ninety-nine buckets of fireworms on the wall, ninety-nine buckets of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got ninety-eight buckets of fireworms on the wall....................... Forty-one buckets of fireworms on the wall, forty-one buckets of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got forty buckets of fireworms on the wall..........- one bucket of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got zero buckets of fireworms on the waaaaaaaaaallllllllllllll.

RealHousewifeofBerk
"You don't know this yet, but people need you."
<3

Arrg, HTTYD came out in 2010, not 2009! >:(
My other fandoms summed up in gifs:

"You have the heart of a Hiro and the soul of a Tadashi."

Pikey
Wow!

RealHousewifeofBerk
17 Oct 2014, 15:06
Arrg, HTTYD came out in 2010, not 2009! >:(
I noticed the same thing immediately. :P Quite irritating...

Good on him for sticking to the trilogy, if that's how he wants it then it should be the best place for it to end.