Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Trimming the fat for HTTYD 3, an important read
Topic Started: 21 Apr 2015, 17:01 (5353 Views)
hictooth
Archivist of Berk

I think the lyrics of Where No One Goes was a bit off putting during the film. It certainly wasn't what I was expecting.

I think it was very appropriate for the teaser/trailer, and it would have been fine as a song as the credits scroll, but I think it would have been better for an instrumental version for the actual film.

hictooth
Astrid - "Hictooth"?
Hiccup - Yeah, it's not my snappiest comeback.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Regarding "Where No One Goes", the basic problem is that it sounds far too modern. Music in film should, as a rule of thumb, fit the setting, or at least fit it close enough to fool most of the audience (yeah, vikings didn't have bagpipes, but we'll buy them being used in the score because it at least feels like the right time period). Obviously, there are times when the music can get away with not matching the setting (the Awesome Mix in Guardians of the Galaxy is a great example), but those examples work because the juxtaposition is the point.

"Where No One Goes" does not have such a point. It's just a modern pop song (admittedly, a good one) thrown into a scene that's inherently not modern. Now, if they'd removed the lyrics, kept the basic melody, and probably changed a few of the instruments, it would have worked fine. I'm reminded of The Land Before Time, which used the basic melody of its ending theme to great effect throughout the movie. If HTTYD 2 had done something similar with "Where No One Goes", I doubt anyone would have had any significant complaints about it.

Oh well. At any rate, my gut instinct tells me that DeBlois probably won't make this mistake in the future, given that the general reaction to the song in that scene is "meh" at best.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote