Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
How to Train Your Dragon 3 vs Toy Story 4/Incredibles 2 (or any other animated movie)
Topic Started: 29 Jun 2016, 18:08 (2848 Views)
mongo765
Berkian Musican

Dragons 3 and Toy Story 4 are both expected to come out in 2018 (along with Madagascar 4). Is it possible that Dragons could finally beat the very same franchise that made it lose the awards for its first film,(Toy Story 3 vs How to Train Your Dragon in 2010)? Personally I am looking forward to both films, but I honestly think that How to Train Your Dragon 3 could beat Toy Story 4, especially now that they are both respected franchises. I guess we'll have to wait and see.
Just another fan of How to Train Your Dragon.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Alicia
Grape Master

I think that while they both are exceptional franchises, HTTYD3 will probably beat TS4 this time due to a number of reasons.

Firstly, HTTYD3 has a strong sense of direction and a knowledge of its audience that has come from both the books and the various series/short films. Toy Story, on the other hand, is straddling two audiences: children that have recently discovered the series, and adults that grew up with it. They are trying to please a whole family and while this is definitely achievable, its generally harder for sequels.

Secondly, the animation of HTTYD3 has got progressively better throughout the franchise. This has even been obvious to people that know little about animation, like myself. I have not noticed the same for Toy Story, although this may be from my lack of knowledge about the art...

Anyways, that's my two cents- might be completely wrong but thought I'd contribute to the discussion any how :)
"You have the heart of a chief and the soul of a dragon..." ~ Valka, How To Train Your Dragon 2

hcsp1
My only master is the free wind

Too early to tell what's going to happen...

First of all, outside of general plots(And even then, not much) we know nothing about those movies. There are no concept arts, no teasers, nothing. So it's too early to tell which one seems like the better movie.

Second, both films have something going for and against them. HTTYD 3 has more reason to existing and promises to end Hiccup's journey, but(Sadly) it's not AS big as Toy Story; and speaking of which, Toy Story 4 has the oppisite problem. It has absolutly no reason to exist(Because Toy Story 3 ended PERFECTLY), but a lot of people love this franchise(Myself included) because it's been around for years, so audiance is bigger for it.

Which one will win the Oscars? I don't know; there's so much time left until then, we can't tell. Everything can happen by that point.

I will say that as a fan of both series, hoping both of them will be awesome!

EveryEmpireFalls
Hatchling

I agree with the both of you (Alicia and hcsp1). I like that HTTYD has improved their animation over time, however TS has a legacy that is hard to beat with millennials and others who grew up with TS for their kids as well, as those who have kids now that may want to/already have gotten into the series.

But overall I lean towards agreeing with hcsp1, it is too early to say either way. Who knows what could be changed by the time they begin releasing various details on the movies.

Alicia
Grape Master

Ahh you've convinced me- I just hope it's HTTYD3 that emerges triumphant because I feel like this series is vastly underrated.

("HTTYD is your favourite movie? Why? It's not that good!") >:( >:( >:(
"You have the heart of a chief and the soul of a dragon..." ~ Valka, How To Train Your Dragon 2

hcsp1
My only master is the free wind

So... Disney just announced that Wreck-it Ralph 2 is coming out in March 2018.

The competition is on, I guess?

VeloYourSwaggyDragon
I am... swaggy

hcsp1
30 Jun 2016, 17:12
So... Disney just announced that Wreck-it Ralph 2 is coming out in March 2018.

The competition is on, I guess?
By the time HtTYD3 roles around in May, WiR2 will be closing up in theatres, it's no competition outside of the awards events.

Pipwizard
Gronckle

As much as I love toy story. I think making a forth could be a disaster but you never know I think there's the Limey unless ther are books that cover the film like Harry Potter I know that the httyd franchise could go on and make mini films like they have I mean after the third instalment they can make series inbetween them like they have already but I hope the third comes out on its own without other good films agh can't wait

Alicia
Grape Master

I agree Pipwizard- toy story 3 ended so perfectly, what else are they going to do without feeling like it drags on?

Pipwizard
Gronckle

Alicia
04 Jul 2016, 03:52
I agree Pipwizard- toy story 3 ended so perfectly, what else are they going to do without feeling like it drags on?
Thing is Andy gave away his toys so it could be a flop god I hope httyd3 is a good one better than ever