Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
How...How...HOW?
Topic Started: 12 Sep 2014, 08:56 (7219 Views)
RealHousewifeofBerk
"You don't know this yet, but people need you."
<3

So, when we were still speculating over what was going to happen in HTTYD 2, lots of people did predict that Stoick would die. I thought he would too, but then I saw this on Wikipedia:
Quote:

"Jay Baruchel, Gerard Butler, Craig Ferguson, America Ferrera, Jonah Hill, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, T. J. Miller and Kristen Wiig are set to return in the third film.[13] Cate Blanchett will also reprise her role as Valka from the second film."
Gerard Butler is set to return for the third film! So, anytime from then on that I saw someone speculating that he'd die in the second, I was like "Nu-uh! Because Wikipedia says he's coming back for the third!"

Aaaaaannnd now, obviously, after watching the second movie, I feel like a huge jackass. :(
So, I would like to take this chance to say I'm sorry.

But seriously, how can this be? I mean, I guess if there's more flashbacks, like there were in the second, but that would probably be a very minor part.

I really doubt they would do this, but I really hope it doesn't turn out that he's still alive. I think the funeral scene makes it pretty clear that that won't happen, though, because they burned his body.

Maybe he's coming back to voice a different character? Animated movies sometimes do that, and Gerard does have a great Viking voice.

I don't know. Anyone else have any thoughts? :/
My other fandoms summed up in gifs:

"You have the heart of a Hiro and the soul of a Tadashi."
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Berkian1
Terrible Terror

Well from what I've heard, the entire movie seems like it might be retrospective with the explaining of how dragons aren't around anymore. So, maybe we could see lots of flashbacks with Stoick in them. Maybe the events before HTTYD2 started the ball rolling on the dragons' disappearance. I don't know though this is an interesting question.
"Hiccup what you're looking for isn't out there. It's in here, maybe you just don't see it yet."

dragons_ind
My avatar just got 20% Cooler

Maybe flashbacks or something? Because we already know that it will continue where the sequel leaves off. So maybe there will be (lot of) flashbacks with Stoick in it.
Ninety-nine buckets of fireworms on the wall, ninety-nine buckets of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got ninety-eight buckets of fireworms on the wall....................... Forty-one buckets of fireworms on the wall, forty-one buckets of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got forty buckets of fireworms on the wall..........- one bucket of worms! Take one down, pass it around, you got zero buckets of fireworms on the waaaaaaaaaallllllllllllll.

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Honestly, there only needs to be one flashback with Stoick to justify bringing Butler back. I wouldn't read any more into things at present.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

Rhonin
Member Avatar
Terrible Terror

The paragraph from the press release is:
Quote:

How to Train Your Dragon 2 and How to Train Your Dragon 3, the next two chapters to the Academy Award®-nominated original film from 2010, will be released on June 20, 2014 and June 18, 2016, respectively. Both are being directed and written by Dean DeBlois (How to Train Your Dragon) and produced by Bonnie Arnold (How to Train Your Dragon). DeBlois and Chris Sanders (The Croods, How to Train Your Dragon) are serving as executive producers. Also inspired by the book series by Cressida Cowell, the sequels will again star Jay Baruchel, Gerard Butler, Craig Ferguson, America Ferrera, Jonah Hill, Christopher Mintz-Plasse, T.J. Miller and Kristen Wiig.
It is entirely possible Stoick won't even appear in a flashback, personally I think he will. So I wouldn't think too hard about this.

dorcas18
Dragon Egg

Maybe it really takes more than a little fire to kill Stoick... Gosh what am I saying...
Every bucket is unique, observe and you will see~

ChinesischSchluckauf

[b]
[color=blue]Shut up, Mokuba!
[/color]
[/b]

If they resurrect Stoick, I don't know what I'll say in the cinema. :(

Of course, I'm confident that the team isn't going to do something so cheesy.
Did anybody else notice my signature has shrunk?

KentuckyWildcat
Raw Vikingness

Stoick could appear in a flashback. Of course it's also possible that he won't appear at all, and the press release was slightly over-generalized on purpose so as to avoid spoilers. Gerard Butler did reprise his role in HTTYD 2, and as far as we know, the rest of the cast is still set for HTTYD 3. So the only slight inaccuracy in that statement is potentially that Gerard Butler starred in the first sequel only rather than both of them, but any attempt to spell that out would have pretty much confirmed Stoick's death right then and there, and I seriously doubt that anybody at the studio would have wanted that.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.

ChinesischSchluckauf

[b]
[color=blue]Shut up, Mokuba!
[/color]
[/b]

KentuckyWildcat
12 Sep 2014, 15:03
Stoick could appear in a flashback. Of course it's also possible that he won't appear at all, and the press release was slightly over-generalized on purpose so as to avoid spoilers. Gerard Butler did reprise his role in HTTYD 2, and as far as we know, the rest of the cast is still set for HTTYD 3. So the only slight inaccuracy in that statement is potentially that Gerard Butler starred in the first sequel only rather than both of them, but any attempt to spell that out would have pretty much confirmed Stoick's death right then and there, and I seriously doubt that anybody at the studio would have wanted that.

Good point you have there. Maybe the press lied to us to prevent us from guessing the spoilers. :blink:
Did anybody else notice my signature has shrunk?

Nightshade
Monstrous Nightmare

this came before the second movie, I think that they tried to hide stoicks death, I haven't read any comments above, so idk if anyone have said this, but I'm sure the comments above me are more true to the matter xD