Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
how to train you dragon will aim at pg-13 rating
Topic Started: 04 Apr 2016, 13:44 (3449 Views)
Puff
Keep smiling.
:)

NightoftheFury
04 Apr 2016, 06:43
I agree with Demonwolf002. I would love to see more animated films push PG-13 as there are pretty much none that do. Plus animated films with a PG-13 rating could have storylines that appeal to older audience which would be absolutely fantastic. Its time that animation isn't just for kids. There is so much potential to expand beyond that. We just have to get over the barrier and stigma that animation = kids film.
There already is an R-rated animated film coming out in August I believe (it's one of those O.o movies)
But once studios figure out they can get away with going mature, they will go for more mature stories in animated films.

And I agree, there is so damn much potential, even in HTTYD. I'm mostly referring to Norse mythology I really think they should use more than they have (although I acknowledge they did Stoick's funeral the way they did, the Norse way). Still, it's not enough for me.
Apart from the mythology, the HTTYD universe itself offers a wide range of possibilities. It's so huge that I fear we'll be left with many loose ends after the last movie, and many things unexplained.

But who knows, maybe it's just my mind being very imaginative. :D
Blender is my <3 (my CGI thread)

If you need anything, feel free to PM me
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

hictooth
Archivist of Berk

Regarding the amount of Norse mythology in How to Train Your Dragon, I don't think that the third film will have that much, if any more than the previous films.

If you haven't already watched the Finding the Story documentary then you might want to, as it contains a bit of information about how much Norse culture they want to get into.

Essentially Dean DeBlois says that when he and Chris Sanders first joined the HTTYD team, the story very much involved the mythology, and magical aspect which can be considered lacking at the moment, but he and Sanders decided to cut that out because they felt it complicated the story line too much.

Going by the above, I'm not sure how keen DeBlois will be to add more of the mythology aspect into the third film, but I'm hopeful that he'll keep at least some of the Viking culture in there, like the funeral in HTTYD2.

hictooth
Astrid - "Hictooth"?
Hiccup - Yeah, it's not my snappiest comeback.

Puff
Keep smiling.

Huh, well... honestly, I don't approve of the decision to cut out the mythology from the story. It would've made the world a lot more immersive, I think. As for complicated stories, I've already said my opinion about that elsewhere. (here) ;)

hictooth
Archivist of Berk

I was just reading about this on tumblr, and a post by BlackRose108 caught my eye. I'm posting it here for you guys to see, but it's her post, so full credit to her:
BlackRose108

Even though I’m pretty sure this was an april fools joke (did anyone else click the link to the supposed “original article”? It was just a picture of tom and jerry saying “april fools” so….yeah)

But regardless of that. I’ve said this before back when people actually gave a crap about me in the httyd fandom but I’ll say it again.

HTTYD 3 BEING RATED PG-13 WILL NOT MAKE IT BETTER THAN IF IT WAS PG.

It just means that it’ll be more violent and/or sexual. That’s it. Well done storytelling that takes its audience seriously or “maturity” has nothing to do with ratings. I’ve seen way more mature PG films than PG-13 and even R films. HTTYD 3 doesn’t need to be rated PG-13 for it to be an “adult” movie unless by adult you mean violence and sex because then with a PG-13 rating it can do a little more of that. But if you mean you just want it to be mature story dealing with adult issues (that don’t have to do with showing intense violence/sex) then it doesn’t have to be PG-13 to do that. You know why? Cause the second movie already did that and it was rated PG.

If it does end up with PG-13 rating it’ll because Dean had scenes that are too violent to get a PG rating, that’s all (cause i doubt anything sexual will be going on cause…come on).

So yeah, I hope no one really thinks that ratings have to do with whether or not the story will be better. We’re just talking about how violent is the movie gonna get.
Astrid - "Hictooth"?
Hiccup - Yeah, it's not my snappiest comeback.

Crystallion12
Dunno what to say here.....

Aye. Although this was a joke, I believe it would have been for the better.... 'Sigh'. Although that's my dark mind, as well as the fact that I feel like the dragons aren't as dangerous as they should be for their power, especially dragons like the BEwilderbeast, and Toothless. And when the dragons get mad, they should be scarier... I guess. I dunno.
Save the Earth... It's the only planet with donuts!

May the stars watch over you, the dragons roar at the sound of your name, and peace, love and the truth enlighten your heart forever,
May you stay true to your soul, mind and heart. Your choices, opinions and life are solely your own, give only the ones you hold dear to your heart your heart, and all your word. Make the right choices, and tread carefully, and live your life to its very fullest,
Crystallion12.

Puff
Keep smiling.

Crystallion12
06 Apr 2016, 10:02
Aye. Although this was a joke, I believe it would have been for the better.... 'Sigh'. Although that's my dark mind, as well as the fact that I feel like the dragons aren't as dangerous as they should be for their power, especially dragons like the BEwilderbeast, and Toothless. And when the dragons get mad, they should be scarier... I guess. I dunno.
This. This. This.
So far we've mostly seen the idealized side of dragons (of except Toothless killing Stoick), but there has to be the other side of dragons; and that's what I suspect we'll see in the third movie.
By the way, I totally agree that mad dragons should be both more dangerous and scary. Toothless looked more cute than menacing while challenging the Bewilderbeast, for instance.

Crystallion12
Dunno what to say here.....

I did find that scene a bit askew, too. But it has its reasoning; it showed that Toothless had control of this new power, and if you think about it, when has he ever been that bloodthirsty? It's just like Hiccup. They can't get that mad at people, and they don't feel the strong, b :tuffnut: look thirsty side of vengeance, just the desire to protect, and set justice. Thats who they are.

But yes, I believe that if HttyD 3 is going to be darker, they will show some more... Suggestive, sides of dragons, like when Toothless... You know..... Killed..... Character..... :'(

Save the Earth... It's the only planet with donuts!

May the stars watch over you, the dragons roar at the sound of your name, and peace, love and the truth enlighten your heart forever,
May you stay true to your soul, mind and heart. Your choices, opinions and life are solely your own, give only the ones you hold dear to your heart your heart, and all your word. Make the right choices, and tread carefully, and live your life to its very fullest,
Crystallion12.

Demonwolf002
Lone Dragon

hictooth
05 Apr 2016, 10:55
I was just reading about this on tumblr, and a post by BlackRose108 caught my eye. I'm posting it here for you guys to see, but it's her post, so full credit to her:
BlackRose108

Even though I’m pretty sure this was an april fools joke (did anyone else click the link to the supposed “original article”? It was just a picture of tom and jerry saying “april fools” so….yeah)

But regardless of that. I’ve said this before back when people actually gave a crap about me in the httyd fandom but I’ll say it again.

HTTYD 3 BEING RATED PG-13 WILL NOT MAKE IT BETTER THAN IF IT WAS PG.

It just means that it’ll be more violent and/or sexual. That’s it. Well done storytelling that takes its audience seriously or “maturity” has nothing to do with ratings. I’ve seen way more mature PG films than PG-13 and even R films. HTTYD 3 doesn’t need to be rated PG-13 for it to be an “adult” movie unless by adult you mean violence and sex because then with a PG-13 rating it can do a little more of that. But if you mean you just want it to be mature story dealing with adult issues (that don’t have to do with showing intense violence/sex) then it doesn’t have to be PG-13 to do that. You know why? Cause the second movie already did that and it was rated PG.

If it does end up with PG-13 rating it’ll because Dean had scenes that are too violent to get a PG rating, that’s all (cause i doubt anything sexual will be going on cause…come on).

So yeah, I hope no one really thinks that ratings have to do with whether or not the story will be better. We’re just talking about how violent is the movie gonna get.
I kind of disagree with the idea that a PG-13 rating (or any higher rating for that matter) only brings more violence and sex and the ability to show those scenes with more graphical detail to the table. Mostly because from my understanding and opinion movies are an inherently visual medium when it comes to story telling. So I feel that the ability to show a scene with more graphical detail (even if it's just particular scenes) can (and I feel does) change the scene and how you absorb it visually. Whether or not that can have a drastic enough change on a movie overall is up for some debate I'm sure, but this is just my own personal opinion so take that as you will.

Her overall point though, I do agree with and I feel is spot on. Good story telling doesn't come from it's age rating. It comes from taking your audience seriously and respecting their intelligence no matter the medium. That's not all of what good story telling is based on but it definitely plays a part. Overall it's a good point, not much you can really say other than it's one that a lot of people myself included would do well to remember from time to time. :P
See you in the skies Dragon Rider!

The Dragon Root:Thing what I wrote.

Is Toothless Evil? :Me possibly being crazy, but fun.

The BerkCast The HTTYD podcast, you should listen.

Toothless123
Night Fury

Love this! :) Hopefully this means that people won't try to palm the franchise off as a kids' one now. HTTYD will get more of the respect it deserves. Maybe it'll attract fans of the Hunger Games, Maze Runner, Divergent, etc.

BerserkDragon
antisocial british nerd with a youtube channel

I like the idea of a PG13 film. I agree that it won't necessarily improve the story, but it would be much better for realism. For example in HTTYD 2 when Drago's Bewilderbeast stabs Valka's, there isn't a spot of blood on its tusks. With a PG13 rating we'll hopefully be able to see more stuff like that, making the film a bit more realistic (even tho dragons in general aren't realistic but yOU GET MY POINT xD)
Me? An otaku? Pfff.

Yes I do like dragons if you're wondering. Doesn't seem like it from my profile pic n signature, I know, but I do.