Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
HTTYD 3 At Cinemacon
Topic Started: 09 May 2018, 15:48 (3783 Views)
Sparrowhawk
average space enthusiast

Albino is the best solution in my opinion. The others are just plain wierd
Engineer and Pyromaniac. What's not to love?

I plan to send a rocket to the edge of space before I turn 25
GO TEAM
P A T H E T I C ! ! !
Yahoo!!
:nightfuryegg: :toothless: :nightfuryegg:
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Lovaasnah
Hatchling

[/quote]
Lol! I don't know if anyone else has read Pax by Sara Pennypacker, but the ending to that is what this whole "light fury" thing reminds me of.
[/quote]

Haha no I haven't. If it involves them dying though or something really comedic due to them both being essentially worthless, that's great by me!

Dragondog
Female Winged Wonder

Quote:

Lol! I don't know if anyone else has read Pax by Sara Pennypacker, but the ending to that is what this whole "light fury" thing reminds me of.
Quote:

Haha no I haven't. If it involves them dying though or something really comedic due to them both being essentially worthless, that's great by me!
They don't die, but the girl fox didn't trust humans, and Pax was raised by them. How she came to accept him was kinda complicated. I can picture something similar happening with Toothless, but hopefully not as dark. :blink:
"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Tuffnut

"Sticks and stones may break your bones, but I will break your neck" - Hank the Cowdog
GO TEAM
P A T H E T I C ! ! !
Yahoo!!

Lovaasnah
Hatchling

Dragondog
11 May 2018, 16:32
Quote:

Quote:

They don't die, but the girl fox didn't trust humans, and Pax was raised by them. How she came to accept him was kinda complicated. I can picture something similar happening with Toothless, but hopefully not as dark. :blink:
I'll definitely go check it out/read it then, thanks!
I'll be very upset if Toothless's life threatening handicap is just ignored and brushed over in the film in regards to him earning a mate and of course, surviving on his own if he does in fact leave all humans forever.
Haha, I beg to differ about the Pax VS the new film...if Toothless has to survive and work things out with this mate, the darker the better! :~D

Lovaasnah
Hatchling

oooooo, just looked up what the general premise of "Pax" is. It looks like a very nice book. I work with and train both domesticated and tamed non domesticated animals and have also done many rehabilitation cases with coyotes, raccoon, birds, foxes, fawns etc. The storyline and release presented in "Pax" would not be an option in real life...most of those countless movies and books that share this theme often end with the "pet" getting released as it can then fall in love, it finds a new family. etc and in reality, that simply could or would not happen. The only potential possibility of that being successful is if there is some control, animals kept in a sanctuary setting, were raised in a program that did not allow direct human interaction to preserve wild tendencies, there some type of containment that is seen to by humans etc etc.

Although unviable, that general concept of finding other dragons to help Toothless somehow is a better option than just ignoring the plot hole and even his impending death due to the severity of his handicap all together! He's the alpha though and pretty caring of others as well as proud. I find it hard to picture him accepting being stuck somewhere as dragons see that he is always fed, carried to fresh water and everything else.

It's a kids' cartoon after all though so animal behavior, process behind rehabilitation, reality in general don't take precedence over story and emotional impact/appropriate rating.
No matter what I am so excited to see how creative they can be in order to pull all of this off!

Dragondog
Female Winged Wonder

Pax was actually fairly realistic, at least at first. It was stated repeatedly that Pax would have a heck of a time surviving on his own, having been raised around humans.

I wonder if that's what the Hidden World is, though. Like a secret sanctuary for Night Furies. If water is within walking distance, and the island is secluded enough, Toothless might not need as much help as he would otherwise.

But it still doesn't make much sense for Hiccup to leave him there, unless something else comes up. Maybe they're hunted until they have no choice but to go into hiding to survive.

Even if we have to endure the separation of those two, maybe there'll be a hint or a fast-forward of them reuniting in Valhalla.
"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Tuffnut

"Sticks and stones may break your bones, but I will break your neck" - Hank the Cowdog
GO TEAM
P A T H E T I C ! ! !
Yahoo!!

Lovaasnah
Hatchling

Dragondog
12 May 2018, 02:04
Pax was actually fairly realistic, at least at first. It was stated repeatedly that Pax would have a heck of a time surviving on his own, having been raised around humans.

I wonder if that's what the Hidden World is, though. Like a secret sanctuary for Night Furies. If water is within walking distance, and the island is secluded enough, Toothless might not need as much help as he would otherwise.

But it still doesn't make much sense for Hiccup to leave him there, unless something else comes up. Maybe they're hunted until they have no choice but to go into hiding to survive.

Even if we have to endure the separation of those two, maybe there'll be a hint or a fast-forward of them reuniting in Valhalla.
Yeah, the book seems very good and well thought out. It just flubs when it comes to the animal rehabilitation part. That's okay though! Hundreds of films and books with this theme become inaccurate at that point anyway. Although they kind of do a disservice to animals in that people want to pick them up as babies and raise them, it can also serve as a means to keep them alive in captivity as they would certainly die if left alone.

I am very excited to see the "hidden world" and what it may encompass in terms of other dragons and if human's or at least Vikings of Berk can live there.

A Valhalla scene would be incredibly sad. It could be corny and a tad cliche but the premise is an easy enough one to pull of beautifully. Although Toothless matures a bit slower than Hiccup, I think their life spans are similar/dragons and humans in general so end of life and their interactions leading up to that if any would be lovely to see.