Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
[HTTYD3 Spoiler]
Topic Started: 31 May 2018, 22:05 (10812 Views)
Dragondog
Female Winged Wonder

Whitefang
01 Jun 2018, 00:30
I'm not gonna defend the design because I don't necessarily have an opinion on it yet (saving it for the trailer), but I think people are blowing this slightly out of proportion. Accusing DreamWorks of being sexist because so many people think that female Night Furies just look weak and small is ridiculous considering this dragon doesn't even look like a Night Fury. Considering none of the other species in the HTTYD universe show any kind of sexual dimorphism, I think we can reasonably assume Night Furies would not either. I'm betting that it's a subspecies or other variation that has adapted to live in a different environment.
Additionally, no one has confirmed that this is the exact dragon that Toothless falls in love with? All of the details we got say that Toothless meets an untamed mate and also that there is a white Night Fury-like dragon in this movie. No one ever confirmed that those are the same thing.
I think people are overreacting a little to all of this, and while I understand being upset (I'm not saying you're not allowed to dislike it) I do not think DWA would give us a poorly written character with no background or explanation.
That's my two cents on all this business. I think we all need to calm down and wait for the trailer before making a final judgement.
Well-said, Whitefang ;)
"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Tuffnut

"Sticks and stones may break your bones, but I will break your neck" - Hank the Cowdog
GO TEAM
P A T H E T I C ! ! !
Yahoo!!
:nightfuryegg: :toothless: :nightfuryegg:
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Tuffnut'sChicken
B-BAWK!

Whitefang
Additionally, no one has confirmed that this is the exact dragon that Toothless falls in love with? All of the details we got say that Toothless meets an untamed mate and also that there is a white Night Fury-like dragon in this movie. No one ever confirmed that those are the same thing.
That would be amazing if they're not the same dragon. Because you're right about the lack of sexual dimorphism among dragons in the HTTYD world. I mean, Nadders have slightly different spines, but it's not that obvious and you can't tell without a side-by-side comparison. The Light Fury, on the other hand, looks considerably different... more akin to the similarities among the Monstrous Nightmare, the Armor Wing, and the Bonenapper. I'd love it if the Light Fury isn't the untamed mate.
Clouds of corn <3

Whitefang
twelve days north of hopeless

Tuffnut'sChicken
03 Jun 2018, 19:42
Whitefang
That would be amazing if they're not the same dragon. Because you're right about the lack of sexual dimorphism among dragons in the HTTYD world. I mean, Nadders have slightly different spines, but it's not that obvious and you can't tell without a side-by-side comparison. The Light Fury, on the other hand, looks considerably different... more akin to the similarities among the Monstrous Nightmare, the Armor Wing, and the Bonenapper. I'd love it if the Light Fury isn't the untamed mate.
Yeah! I think it'd be really funny if DreamWorks is just giving us the runaround with this poster and all of this arguing was actually for nothing.
Find me on tumblr and deviantart!
I have been here an embarrassingly long time

8)

Sparrowhawk
average space enthusiast

I would be really triggered at first for being mislead. But honestly, good for them if they fooled us all.
Engineer and Pyromaniac. What's not to love?

I plan to send a rocket to the edge of space before I turn 25
GO TEAM
P A T H E T I C ! ! !
Yahoo!!
:nightfuryegg: :toothless: :nightfuryegg:

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

I really wish that was the case. Unfortunately, it probably isn't. :unsure:
Proverbs 25:11

A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.
Proverbs 15:1

A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

Team Pathetic Banner

Awesome Secret Odin 2019 GIFt set from Inhonoredglory. Thanks a ton! :-D

Lovaasnah
Hatchling

Yes...I am still holding out with my original HTTYD 3 speculations I posted here awhile back...

She is a potential a lure, albeit likely unintentional on her part. I don't want to retype it all here but that's the jist of it. What better way to distract the lonely male alpha and draw him away so he is weaker for hunting/capture than with a female?? I started a Youtube channel actually with theories/explanations and such. My first video was about this. :~)
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCxNO_b ... subscriber

She is also quite young looking, younger than Toothless in the first film. We can't be sure if her appearance is due to age, her gender, or specie anatomy but for the moment, if we say age is a part of it...Toothless wasn't even considering mating until the third film and he's still figuring it out!
He may find her but soon learn she cannot or will not mate with him though due to her age. She is still a dragon he can bond with, grow protective over, and she'll allow him to explore the idea of leaving humans though. Then, when she leads him to the hidden world, that's where our real surprise will be...hoping for more Night Furies where he will then, find a female to take as his mate.

Even if she is the mate though, I think she is just a distraction for us. While people are concerned with who she is, what she is about, her pluses/flaws, the filmmakers are very likely going to blind side us with new character(s) and or death. This film will be about so much more that just the Light Fury and she will be so much more than just a pretty face.

I cannot wait see what they throw at us!

Whitefang
twelve days north of hopeless

You may actually be right about the lure part, especially since they showed her in a cage at one point during the trailer. It seemed like it was during a fight scene as well.
Also, in the AMA Dean confirmed that Light Furies are a variation of the species and that more of them still exist: "To your second question. The Light Fury is a species name given to her by Hiccup and Astrid. We deliberately didn’t give her a personal name, because we wanted to keep her wild. She isn’t a night Fury, she’s a variation of the species with her own traits and abilities. Unlike toothless, she is not the last of her kind."
However, whether Night Furies still exist wasn't answered. Toothless might have no other options aside from a member of a subspecies.
Find me on tumblr and deviantart!
I have been here an embarrassingly long time

8)

Lovaasnah
Hatchling

Whitefang
07 Jun 2018, 17:16
You may actually be right about the lure part, especially since they showed her in a cage at one point during the trailer. It seemed like it was during a fight scene as well.
Also, in the AMA Dean confirmed that Light Furies are a variation of the species and that more of them still exist: "To your second question. The Light Fury is a species name given to her by Hiccup and Astrid. We deliberately didn’t give her a personal name, because we wanted to keep her wild. She isn’t a night Fury, she’s a variation of the species with her own traits and abilities. Unlike toothless, she is not the last of her kind."
However, whether Night Furies still exist wasn't answered. Toothless might have no other options aside from a member of a subspecies.
Yeah, she is the perfect "damsel in distress" for him. Aside from Hiccup, he'd fight with everything he has for her now too and Grimmel knows it and will use it against him.

I know she isn't a Night Fury. I just wondered if the prospect of them mating would work, she is too young, their offspring may not be viable/they would be sterile with many hybrid animals etc. It takes more than 2 to propagate a species and none would be pure Night Fury anyway.

Dean did actually state that Toothless was the last of his kind today at that Reddit meeting. DAH! Unless there is some crazy surprise...he really is it and Night Furies will die along with him.

Hulk10
Terrible Terror

I personally don't believe that Toothless is the last of his species no matter what Dubois says. Especially since it would mean that there is no hope at all for Toothless's species.
Night Fury

Hulk10
Terrible Terror

Normally I would take the director's word to heart but in the case of the Night Furies I just can't. It requires too much suspension of belief. I know and accept that humans can drive species to extinction. But one man and an army and 6 dragons driving a species to extinction? That's too implausible.
Night Fury