Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
The Argument for the [httyd3 spoiler]
Topic Started: 02 Jun 2018, 23:11 (1485 Views)
jeremykuan
Dragon Egg

To everyone complaining about the light fury romance plot, here are my thoughts on it: We know that Toothless and Hiccup need to separate in the end. That’s always been the endgame.

An easy option would be to just have a love interest for Toothless, but in my opinion thats the laziest option and by far the worst one. Hiccup and Toothless’ bond is so strong that I don’t think Toothless would be able to enter into a relationship with the knowledge that he’d have to sacrifice his best friend.

The second option is that with Toothless being the alpha and Hiccup being the village chief, they’d have different responsibilities that require them to live separate lives. You know the whole ‘a chief protects his own’. But the second movie has already proven that while Hiccup has to grow up and sacrifice certain things as village chief, his relationship with dragons is one thing that he can still maintain while being village chief.

The third option, which in my opinion is the strongest, is that Grimmel/Drago poses such a great threat to the dragon race that unless the dragons go into hiding, they will become extinct. My only gripe with this is that while I believe all the dragons would certainly go into hiding, Toothless would surely stay back and fight with the vikings. A life without Hiccup is no life at all. So now we have Dean sitting down with a sheet of paper thinking, how on earth do we get this done? The solution that I think the third movie uses, is a combination of all three. Dean thought, screw this, the only thing that could separate these two is by throwing everything we’ve got at them. With the love of his life, his responsibility as alpha, and the future of his species at stake, he can no longer choose his best friend.

Sidenote: I’m sure Universal is just choosing to market the romance part of this because no one has any clue how to market the HTTYD movies correctly. Maybe the movies should be retitled: How Not To Market Your Dragon Movie.

Furthermore, we need a way for Hiccup to discover this hidden world that dragons can escape to, and what better way than to use a wild night fury? I’m sure many of you will be arguing that it didn’t have to be a female night fury, but I think that it has to be. We’ve seen that dragons don’t really have a connection to their parents, they’re basically raised by an alpha. So we can’t use the whole “toothless finds his long lost parents” plot line like Kung Fu Panda 3. I’d argue that it can’t be just any ordinary night fury either as Toothless would surely pick Hiccup over any random night fury. Sure it’d pique his interest, but he already has a best friend in Hiccup. Why do we need another carbon copy Forbidden Friendship?

Lastly, I think the design of the Light Fury simply comes down to practicality. If the Light Fury were just a carbon copy of Toothless, this would present the problem of not being able to differentiate between Toothless and the female night fury. Even the other dragons have minor anatomical differences within their own species to give them individuality. Plus, we need different dragon designs to sell more toys (go ahead and kill me for this, but I want them to make money too). Really the only elements of character design that can be modified here without making it a different species are the colour of the dragon, the nubs on the dragon, and the size of the dragon. In regards to the argument that states the black colour of the night fury is essential to its skillset and abilities, I’d like to point out that the camouflage would only be effective at night, therefore making the night fury a nocturnal animal. In nature, nocturnal animals aren’t always black. One example of this is the aardvark, feel free to Google an image of a an aardvark. To everyone complaining about the lack of nubs, yes I love nubs too but female humans have protruding things called breasts while male humans don’t. You don’t like it? Complain to mother nature. But seriously, to those complaining that Toothless and the Light Fury don’t look alike, have you ever seen a male and female peacock? If you’re still complaining that the Light Fury looks too smooth or glowy or whatever, there’s plenty of possible explanations out there but I don’t think any of them matter. What matters is that the Light Fury actually fits in better with the hidden world from an aesthetic point of view. She actually looks like she came from this world and belongs in this world.

I hope I’ve won you over with all my logical arguments. Because honestly the Light Fury looks fucking amazing and I could care less about all the logic behind it.
"There were dragons...when I was a boy. Where they went, only a few know. Our story changed the world forever.”

-Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III

PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

hictooth
Archivist of Berk

Sidenote: I've edited the topic title to make it non-spoilery.

I agree with most of what you've said, and I think we'll see a lot of it in the film. Drago was originally intended for the third film only, and seeing as he's likely to return, I'm sure he'll be part of why the dragons leave.

I hope they have a really compelling reason for Toothless to leave :hiccup: , as the first two films were basically showing how they're able to stick together despite everything! Hiccup was willing to get banished from his tribe, and would have run away, for Toothless. And Toothless was willing to run into a Viking village to save Hiccup.
Astrid - "Hictooth"?
Hiccup - Yeah, it's not my snappiest comeback.

Dragondog
Female Winged Wonder

Watch the language. But otherwise, I agree.
"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Tuffnut

"Sticks and stones may break your bones, but I will break your neck" - Hank the Cowdog
GO TEAM
P A T H E T I C ! ! !
Yahoo!!
:nightfuryegg: :toothless: :nightfuryegg:

Tuffnut'sChicken
B-BAWK!

I'm not understanding why it's "always been the endgame" for Hiccup and Toothless to separate. I've never gotten that vibe from the movies. Gift of the Night Fury explores the thought of them separating, but in the end it only strengthens the bond between them. Don't get me wrong; the movie could end that way, and if executed correctly, there won't be a dry eye in the theater... but I haven't seen any indication that it's been an endgame.

Another note on GOTNF: We see that mates aren't really important for dragons. We notice that the dragons all have mates who help in the early raising of the baby dragons, but then we never see any indication of those mates in the rest of the shorts, the second movie, the series, or the comics. They're once-and-done characters. Thus, we can conclude that dragons mate and stick together long enough to raise the babies, then separate. So why would a Night Fury be any different?

(Also agree with Dragondog about watching the language. I'd rather not read swear words on a forum about a movie made for kids.)
Clouds of corn <3

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

Agreed. Especially that part about watching the language.
Proverbs 25:11

A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.
Proverbs 15:1

A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

Team Pathetic Banner

Awesome Secret Odin 2019 GIFt set from Inhonoredglory. Thanks a ton! :-D

jeremykuan
Dragon Egg

Tuffnut'sChicken
03 Jun 2018, 19:27
I'm not understanding why it's "always been the endgame" for Hiccup and Toothless to separate. I've never gotten that vibe from the movies. Gift of the Night Fury explores the thought of them separating, but in the end it only strengthens the bond between them. Don't get me wrong; the movie could end that way, and if executed correctly, there won't be a dry eye in the theater... but I haven't seen any indication that it's been an endgame.

Another note on GOTNF: We see that mates aren't really important for dragons. We notice that the dragons all have mates who help in the early raising of the baby dragons, but then we never see any indication of those mates in the rest of the shorts, the second movie, the series, or the comics. They're once-and-done characters. Thus, we can conclude that dragons mate and stick together long enough to raise the babies, then separate. So why would a Night Fury be any different?
What I meant was, the dragons and humans were always meant to separate, not specifically Hiccup and Toothless although the severance of their relationship would be a byproduct of that. Cressida Cowell started and ended her books with the line "There were dragons when I was a boy" and she explained the disappearance of the dragons in the last few books of the series. Dean DeBlois has echoed that he would like to end the trilogy the same way and explain the disappearance of the dragons in the movies since he first pitched the idea of a sequel to the first movie. Therefore, "it's always been the endgame".

I actually never thought of how the dragons in GOTNF really only mated to make baby dragons and never developed a relationship of any sort. Kudos to you, that's a brilliant point that I can't really argue. Now I'm wondering if the dragons in the hidden world are significantly different in terms of their behaviour and character design? Maybe the way they interact with each other is more personal given they don't have to deal with the dangers of the outside world that we see in Race to the Edge? At this point I just get the feeling that the hidden world is something completely different from what we've seen before, and the dragons that live there are completely different too.

Or hey, maybe Toothless could be the first ever dragon to have a romantic relationship <3 . The alpha evolution must have really elevated him to a new level of social intelligence >:( XD.
"There were dragons...when I was a boy. Where they went, only a few know. Our story changed the world forever.”

-Hiccup Horrendous Haddock III