Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
The HTTYD3 Trailer is here!
Topic Started: 07 Jun 2018, 13:57 (3326 Views)
MartianArchaeologist
Member Avatar
Gronckle

Good trailer, guys.

Anybody else notice that Bearded Hiccup looks like Jake Gyllenhaal?
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Joel
What should I put here..

I hope they provide some better backstory for the villain instead of "I like to kill dragons" more like "I kill night duties as when I was a little boy they killed my village" it's just to give him more of a purpose.

But overall this has been worth the many year wait. I watched HTTYD 1 when I was very young and now HTTYD 3 is coming and I'm almost out of school :'(

Overall I'm excited <3

HiccupxAstrid123
Member Avatar
Gronckle

How many years after HTTYD 2 do you think this is?
(I'm not a fan of the beard either...)

:hiccup: <3 :astrid:

HICCSTRID IS SOOOO CUTE

Sparrowhawk
average space enthusiast

Yeah... the beard isn’t great.

Overall though, I’m pretty freaking excited for this movie!! Also, the way Toothless needed encouragement from Hiccup to “flirt” with the light Fury shouldn’t be how it works. He should automatically be attracted to a female of his species/subspecies, right?
Engineer and Pyromaniac. What's not to love?

I plan to send a rocket to the edge of space before I turn 25
GO TEAM
P A T H E T I C ! ! !
Yahoo!!
:nightfuryegg: :toothless: :nightfuryegg:

Joel
What should I put here..

Sparrowhawk
07 Jun 2018, 19:56
Yeah... the beard isn’t great.

Overall though, I’m pretty freaking excited for this movie!! Also, the way Toothless needed encouragement from Hiccup to “flirt” with the light Fury shouldn’t be how it works. He should automatically be attracted to a female of his species/subspecies, right?
I think it's more since toothless has never tried to get a female before (presumably since birth) and since he has no practise he would have no idea what to do <3

Ocean Rose
Over whelmed: Too many fandoms. How am I even alive?

The whole Hiccup helping Toothless to flirt thing, was adorable, and I have to admit, the Light Fury is growing on me. And Astrid's new design? At first I didn't think I would get use to it. I was wrong, it's amazing. The hidden world? Incredible. Hiccup's beard, though...That's gonna take a while to get use to. And ending on this note, is it bad that I cried while watching this?
You want my tears
Every messy word
Every scar and every fear
You want all I have, with no holding back
When I'm hurt, at my worst.
You meet me there
'Cause You see the beauty
In my broken prayers
--- Riley Clemmons; Broken Prayers

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

So, now that I've been able to sleep on things, I'll give my more detailed thoughts on the trailer.

The Good

1. The visuals are, of course, great. Not that any of us were likely to expect anything less from modern serious animation, or DeBlois in particular, but it's still worth noting. It is, however, especially pleasing to note how complete everything looks already. I remember the teaser trailer for HTTYD 2, and how off Hiccup's unfinished character model looked. There's none of that here. I have no doubt they'll touch up a few things before the movie is released, but that can only be a good thing from a visual perspective.

To be a tiny bit critical here, there was a lack of anything jaw-dropping in the trailer, but I think that's just because no shot was allowed to linger for long enough to get that effect. I for one find that a shot needs to stay onscreen for a little while to get that sort of reaction from me. Again, comparing to the HTTYD 2 teaser, it was likely able to have that big an effect on me because it basically showed a complete scene. And there's no shortage of shots lurking just below that threshold. I'm particularly fond of the "cool guys don't look at explosions" shot and Toothless' epic falling moment.

2. The tone seems on point. It's definitely serious, and there's a feeling of high stakes, even if the exact nature of the threat is not clear (bearing in mind that this is a first trailer, however, it's still way ahead of most movies in this regard). At the same time, it looks like there will be some lighter moments as well, to prevent things from just becoming a drag. Hopefully, this film manages to get the balance a little better than the second film, which seemed to swing between super-serious and almost farcical with hardly any middle ground.

3. The scenes between Toothless and the Light Fury are surprisingly good. Plenty of great visual comedy, with enough hints that it could believably go further. Again, I probably shouldn't be surprised, as interactions between mute characters suits DeBlois' strengths as a director. That relationship isn't looking as good as something like WALL-E yet, but it's also not as big a focus as the romance angle was in that film, so that's to be expected.

4. F. Murray Abraham's voice acting is quite good in the couple of lines he has here. It's nothing that couldn't be done by quite a few more experienced, professional voice actors, but given that pretty much every major role in an animated movie seems to be passed off to some sort of celebrity nowadays, it's as good as could reasonably be expected.

5. No Valka. Okay, so we know she's in the movie, but the fact that she doesn't seem to be in the trailer at all indicates that her role will probably be quite small. As far as I'm concerned, the less of her, the better, so I'll happily take all this as a positive.

The Bad

1. They seem to be heading even further into the territory of outright fantasy and magic, rather than the more realistic (it's all relative) nature of the first film. It's best to look at these on a case-by-case basis.

(A) The Light Fury's seeming ability to teleport. Now, if it were just the shot of her at night, then I would probably believe that it's a clever little disappearing trick involving bright flashes and misdirection. Unfortunately, we have the shot of her using this ability to save Toothless (as mentioned earlier, actually one of my favourite parts of the trailer overall), and unless it's some very odd editing, then she's at least using it to reach ludicrous speeds. Either way, not very believable.

(B) The Hidden World itself. Honestly, the idea of a giant undersea cavern that can somehow support an entire ecosystem of dragons is just ridiculous. It's like something Games Workshop would put into their Warhammer Age of Sigmar fluff because of how ridiculous it is. In addition, are we really supposed to believe that the dragons are just going to be able to go there and never be found by humans? It's a gaping hole in the ocean, someone's going to be able to find it, and if Hiccup and company are able to get down the hole to get to the Hidden World, then there's really no reason why someone more hostile couldn't get there as well. And if they're not going to send the dragons there, then how is this different from Valka's dragon sanctuary, at least from a story perspective?

(C) Toothless' lightning powers. Yeah, I'm not really going to go into this one too much, mostly because I think this is the thing they will actually explain on some level. But if that explanation isn't accurate, then I'll have my fair share of gripes.

2. Grimmel himself does not seem like an interesting character in the slightest. It's basically like if you took Viggo and Defenders of Berk Dagur, mushed them together and somehow removed all their charm. Sure, he'll probably still work fairly well as an obstacle for Hiccup and Toothless to overcome, but that's it. And given Drago had this basic problem as well, I don't think this is just a case of not having seen enough.

The Ugly

The shot of Hiccup with a beard may just have spoiled the ending of the film. Now I'm not the type of guy who actually minds spoilers all that much, but that's just ridiculous from an objective standpoint.

The Odd

Is it just me, or could you remove HTTYD 2 entirely and still have this trailer make sense? Okay, the lack of Stoick would be a little bit odd, but no weirder than the lack of Valka. I'm honestly not sure where this oddity comes from. It could be a complete coincidence in editing, it could be that HTTYD 2 just naturally winds up having little bearing on the overall plot of the trilogy, or it could be that DeBlois is intentionally removing aspects of HTTYD 2 because he no longer thinks they worked. That last one is highly unlikely, because let's face it, humans don't tend to change that much.

So there you have it, my slightly expanded initial thoughts on the trailer. Overall, I liked it, and it has certainly raised my hopes a bit. I'm now more firmly hoping for something better than HTTYD 2, but I'm not holding out any hope for this to be as good as the original film.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

KentuckyWildcat
Raw Vikingness

It's been awhile since I've really given much thought to my HTTYD fandom. I have decidedly mixed thoughts about the second film, and I kind of lost track of RTTE after the first season failed to really hold my interest. Despite all of that, I was still fairly excited to unexpectedly discover that the new trailer was releasing.

There's several things I like about it right away. First of all, the visuals are beautiful as several people have already mentioned. The nods to the first film at the start of the trailer were also very well done and give me hope that they'll be able to succeed at delivering the emotional impact you hope for with the conclusion to a long-running franchise. In his scenes with the Light Fury, it's also apparent that Toothless hasn't lost any of his charm or ability to emote far more than you'd expect from a non-human character.

I also wanted to specifically comment on something I like that I haven't seen mentioned here yet. It appears to me at least from this trailer that Astrid may have a more prominent role. While she was never the main protagonist, she had a pretty significant part in the first film. Past the first 20 minutes or so of the sequel, I felt like she essentially blended in with the rest of the gang rather than standing out from them, which never quite sat right with me. I'd be happy to see that mistake corrected for the finale.

As for any potential negatives, I'm still not sure about the main plot. Assuming that they didn't essentially spoil the entire plot in the trailer (unlike what they did with HTTYD 2), there's still room for some twists, but what we're given here is honestly pretty generic. Grimmel has apparently made it his mission in life to kill Night Furies and is willing to destroy all of Berk to get the last one. Even the battle sequence involving him looks a lot like the first fight against Drago complete with a similar overhead perspective of what I assume is his fleet with Toothless swooping in for a strike. I'm really hoping there's something more to him that what's been revealed so far, and that the entire confrontation doesn't end up being a retread.

So, overall, I think this trailer works. I'm cautiously optimistic right now.
Come death. Come suffering. I will not live in fear. In this fleeting life where time escapes us, the path of least resistance is a slow quiet death. I'd rather burn out than fade away.