Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
How old are Hiccup and the gang?
Topic Started: 09 Jun 2018, 08:34 (1762 Views)
HiccupxAstrid123
Member Avatar
Gronckle

How old do you think that they are? I think that they might be 3 or 4 years older, but that's just a guess so don't quote me on it.
:hiccup: <3 :astrid:
HICCSTRID IS SOOOO CUTE
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

hictooth
Archivist of Berk

Quote:

don't quote me on it.
hehehe. (sorry, bad joke)
You're probably right, I think a couple of years older. Hiccup's appearance has changed a bit (a little lest wild) and Astrid's hair has changed, so it's not immediate, that's for sure.
Astrid - "Hictooth"?
Hiccup - Yeah, it's not my snappiest comeback.

Whitefang
twelve days north of hopeless

There was a post circulating on tumblr that said the movie took place one year after HTTYD 2, but I'm not sure if there was a source for that.
Find me on tumblr and deviantart!
I have been here an embarrassingly long time

8)

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Hiccup doesn't look noticeably older (apart from that trailer shot of him with a beard, but I think it's pretty obvious that's chronologically later than the movie's main plot), but the rest of the gang do (Astrid in the trailer, the rest in the publicity shots), so it's reasonable to assume there's some gap.

I hope it's set at least two years after HTTYD 2. Otherwise, given the events of this movie are somehow going to remove dragons from the world, it just makes all that Hiccup and company accomplished seem rather pointless. All good things must end, of course, but it would be nice if they went on for a decent amount of time.

Personally, I'm hoping The Hidden World is set four years after HTTYD 2, because that would mean that the characters grew in real time overall (the third film will come out nine years after the first, and this way, would be set nine years after the first when you account for the five-year time skip between the first two films).
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.

Sparrowhawk
average space enthusiast

The graphic novel was set just after Dragons 2 wasn’t it? When’s the other one coming out?
Engineer and Pyromaniac. What's not to love?

I plan to send a rocket to the edge of space before I turn 25
GO TEAM
P A T H E T I C ! ! !
Yahoo!!
:nightfuryegg: :toothless: :nightfuryegg:

Dragondog
Female Winged Wonder

Sparrowhawk
12 Jun 2018, 12:30
The graphic novel was set just after Dragons 2 wasn’t it? When’s the other one coming out?
Currently, it's set for September 4, 2018.
"When something looks too perfect, it probably sucks" - Tuffnut

"Sticks and stones may break your bones, but I will break your neck" - Hank the Cowdog
GO TEAM
P A T H E T I C ! ! !
Yahoo!!
:nightfuryegg: :toothless: :nightfuryegg:

hooligan
Dragon Egg

I read in an interview with Dean that it's a year after HTTYD 2 :)

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

I found the relevant interview, and yes, it does state that the main plot is set a year after the second movie:

https://www.slashfilm.com/dean-deblois- ... den-world/

There are a few other interesting things in that interview, with slight spoilers, though nothing you couldn't figure out if you paid attention to details in the trailer. Probably worth discussing in another topic, if I get the time.

In regards to the direct topic of Hiccup and company's ages, I'll state again that I would much rather have a larger in-universe gap between the second and third films. Still, I'll wait to see how that aspect plays out in the film. Heck, it's possible (though admittedly, not probable) that the exact time jump will not be referred to in the film itself, instead being one of those background details that storytellers know, but doesn't play into the text itself. If that's the case (and I hope it is), then I will ignore it, thanks to the concept of the death of the author (look it up).
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.