Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
[Spoiler Warning] How to Train Your Dragon 3: The Hidden World; What we know and what we don't
Topic Started: 16 Jun 2018, 19:08 (16191 Views)
Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

Okay, so this thread is designed to be a clearinghouse for information concerning what we know and don't know about HTTYD3. Feel free to post below with additions to, subtractions from, modifications to, or comments on this list.

So, what we know:
  • The main villain is going to be a man named Grimmel, who hunts Night Furies.
  • Toothless is going to find a female 'Light Fury'.
  • The 'Hidden World' is somewhere in "A massive volcanic caldera that serves as a gateway to an endless maze of chambers and tunnels that work their way around the world." [1]
  • The Light Fury can do a disappearing act.
  • Hiccup gives Toothless another self-controlled tailfin.[2]
  • Toothless has no idea how to attract a mate. :)
  • Toothless most likely leaves Hiccup.[3]
  • Hiccup has no idea what good flirting looks like. :P
  • The Light Fury was named as such by Astrid, after Hiccup suggested 'Bright Fury'
  • Stoick is seen in a flashback,[2] probably near the start of the movie.
What we don't know:
  • How Grimmel finds out about Berk, Hiccup, and Toothless.
  • How Toothless, Hiccup, and Astrid find the 'hidden world'.
That's all I'll add for now. I will continue updating this post with relevant information.

[1]: Dean DeBlois, Reddit AMA, Jun 7, 2018
[2]: Thanks to Dragondog for these additions
[3]: Thanks to Hulk10 for this addition

Last edited by Dragonrider's Fury on 08 Nov 2018, 13:33, edited 2 times in total.
Proverbs 25:11

A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver.
Proverbs 15:1

A soft answer turneth away wrath: but grievous words stir up anger.

Team Pathetic Banner

Awesome Secret Odin 2019 GIFt set from Inhonoredglory. Thanks a ton! :-D
  PM (offline)     Profile

Sparrowhawk
average space enthusiast

Okay, totally unrelated question. How did you do the footnote? How do you get the green line?
Engineer and Pyromaniac. What's not to love?

I plan to send a rocket to the edge of space before I turn 25
GO TEAM
P A T H E T I C ! ! !
Yahoo!!
:nightfuryegg: :toothless: :nightfuryegg:
  PM (offline)     Profile

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

Sparrowhawk
17 Jun 2018, 00:55
Okay, totally unrelated question. How did you do the footnote? How do you get the green line?
The green line is done using [hr] . I used the [sub] and the [small] BBCodes for the text size. Like this:
Spoiler: click to toggle

Team Pathetic Banner

PM (offline)     Profile

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Quote:

The 'Hidden World' is somewhere in "A massive volcanic caldera that serves as a gateway to an endless maze of chambers and tunnels that work their way around the world."
Okay, I can buy the whole caldera thing (not sure whether the environment it would create would be at all hospitable, but I'll give things the benefit of the doubt there), but the idea that there's a network of tunnels all the way around the world? That's just ridiculous. That's something that belongs in Warhammer (in fact, I'm pretty sure that is how the Skaven worked in the old Fantasy world), not in a more realistic fantasy like HTTYD. Seriously, did no one stop to tell DeBlois how dumb that sounded?

Okay, on more positive matters, DeBlois has provided an explanation on the Light Fury's disappearing act, and it's actually pretty good:
Quote:

She has a unique ability of her own: she’s able to cloak. She blasts a fireball, she flies through it, and by heating up her skin and her scales they turn mirror-like, reflecting their environment. So she effectively disappears against the sky or disappears against foliage.
Source: https://www.slashfilm.com/dean-deblois- ... n-world/2/

As long as they actually provide this explanation within the movie, I'm all for it. It still leaves one very minor question about a bit in the trailer, but that will probably be explained, too.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.
  PM (offline)     Profile

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

Interesting. I did not know that. Thanks! :D

Team Pathetic Banner

PM (offline)     Profile

Sparrowhawk
average space enthusiast

Oh cool! You would think the heat would cause some sort of permanent damage though...

(thanks dragondog)

GO TEAM
P A T H E T I C ! ! !
Yahoo!!
  PM (offline)     Profile

Cartoon Freak
Deadly Nadder

Dragons are fireproof (on the outside), so while the exact amount of heat resistance undoubtedly varies between species, there's no particular reason to think that the Light Fury couldn't withstand her own blasts. Probably just as well that Toothless isn't one though, unless Hiccup's managed to make a fireproof tail fin.
Number of times I've watched the trailer: 18.

My pet peeve: people who refer to complete strangers by their first name. The correct ways to refer to a "John Smith" whom you have never met are Smith, Mr Smith, or John Smith. Not "John". He's not your buddy.
  PM (offline)     Profile

Sparrowhawk
average space enthusiast

Didn’t he make that Gronkle Iron tail in one episode? I don’t remember which show it was, might be RTTE. That could withstand the heat...

Also, plasma is extremely superheated, and I read somewhere that the night fury blast might also be an oxy-acetylene flame, also heat of an extreme degree. I’m not sure it’s possible for a large multicellular organism to survive heat like that in such a large blast radius. I mean, there’s the tardigrade, but that’s tiny. The dragon would likely be cooked in its own skin, fireproof or not.

GO TEAM
P A T H E T I C ! ! !
Yahoo!!
  PM (offline)     Profile

Dragonrider's Fury
Skrill

Hey, guys, while this is a very interesting discussion, can we please try to stay on topic? Thanks.

Team Pathetic Banner

PM (offline)     Profile

Sparrowhawk
average space enthusiast

But... we’re discussing Dragons 3

GO TEAM
P A T H E T I C ! ! !
Yahoo!!
  PM (offline)     Profile