Welcome Guest [Log In] [Register]
  • Pages:
Yet Another Villain
Topic Started: 31 Oct 2018, 15:28 (3725 Views)
Tuffnut'sChicken
B-BAWK!

Let's revive this thread now that we have more info on Grimmel!

I can't really tell what his motivations are yet... hopefully the movie will answer that! Then again, we never really found out what Drago's ultimate plan was. It looks like Grimmel will be used to propel the storyline much like Drago, so I'm afraid we might get gaping blank spots for him, too.

I'm wondering if Valka has ever encountered him before. She did seem to know something about him in Trailer 2, so either they did reconnaissance or she had encountered him before (or she works for him :P )
Clouds of corn <3
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote  

Light Fury
Cape Starling

So, I always thought Drago's endgame was to enslave all dragons as revenge for what they did to his village. Drago seemed very revenge focused, whether with dragons, not killing Hiccup the first time or Stoick surviving the Massacre of the Chieftains. It was also the want for control. His second game was to get power over dragons, and use that to get power over people.

On the topic of Grimmel, I have a few ideas. He seems to enjoy hunting Night Furies in particular. I was able to tell that much at least from Trailer 1. I have also read in a few places that he is a trophy hunter (fits the picture). I was watching HelloFutureMe's breakdown of the second trailer, and he thought that the line "this is a new kind of enemy" was referring to the fact that Grimmel kills, and kills more out of want than need. I don't think Dean wrote Grimmel as a one dimensional trophy hunter, so I guess more of his ideology will get revealed hopefully in Trailer 3. I'm thinking he has a particular distaste for Night Furies. Not sure why. That said, the HTTYD Fandom wiki states that he has a prejudice against dragons, and that the only options acceptable to him are enslavement or death.

My theory about him has a few different gears of varying sizes. Perhaps the smallest is that he considers his Deathgrippers enslaved to him. Probably the biggest is that he believes that Vikings/Humans have no equal, and that dragons pose a huge threat to that mindset. That allows the enslavement or death gear to slot in perfectly. If dragons are enslaved by humans, they are inferior to humans. If they are killed by humans, they are inferior to humans. This kind of ideology is one that has a major presence in our society right now, which makes addressing that so much more valuable.

Brother in arms of the forgotten disaster branch, Saturn Starlings.
  PM (offline)     Profile     Quote